Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2012, 11:39 PM

33 posts, read 91,802 times

Advertisements

My family may be moving to the Clemson area for my husband's job and after having read about the local area online I am truly concerned about the amount of crime in Anderson, Seneca, etc. not to mention the large amount of registered offenders.
Can someone please tell me is the crime really that bad? Are these safe, family friendly communities? We have young children and my husband travels quite a bit, so being in a safe community is at the top of my list. We currently live on the west coast and I have never been to South Carolina.
Thank you very much for your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2012, 07:21 AM

1,997 posts, read 4,579,625 times
First, relax. Statistics are just that - numbers.

I lived in the Seneca area for three years and worked in Anderson for one. The overall area (including Clemson) is safe and very family friendly. Lakes Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee are fantastic (especially the latter two). Additionally, access to the NC mountains is quite easy (from Seneca, Highlands, NC, elevation 4,100 feet, is an hour drive).

Of the three areas, I'd probably choose Clemson - easy access to Greenville with all of its shopping (Trader Joe's, Costco, Haywood Mall, Whole Foods, REI, etc), a multitude of outdoor amenities, great public schools (especially the High School, Daniel), and, of course, the university with all of its activities. Additionally, I hear that Clemson is getting its first Publix (no need to go to Anderson or Easley).

By the way, you have to visit downtown Greenville - you will be amazed. Go to Falls Park (middle of downtown) - this is the pinnacle of Greenville's renaissance.

Last edited by drfranklin; 01-29-2012 at 08:22 AM..

Old 01-29-2012, 07:37 AM

807 posts, read 1,774,490 times
Default Anderson

I have friends who live in Anderson and also know someone moving to the area, so far no problems. My mother in law lives in Seneca and she is out on 4 acres and has never had any problems. I feel sure you will find a nice safe area to live. Just make sure you drive through the area at different times of day & night to see what type of activity is going on. Anderson has some beautiful neighborhoods so I think you will be ok.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:53 PM

800 posts, read 1,454,291 times
I lived in Anderson for almost 15 years, and my parents still live there. I always felt safe there, as do my folks. Some parts of the inner city itself are a bit sketchy, I'm thinking the former mill-hill areas immediately to the south and east of downtown. However, pretty much any of the "suburban" areas north and west of town where you would likely be looking are very safe and family-friendly. Clemson is a very nice area, and same goes for most of the Seneca area.

Old 01-30-2012, 06:11 PM

33 posts, read 91,802 times
Thank you very much for your replies, I really do appreciate it. May I ask please, if you have any insight as to why the number of registered offenders is so high? ( in the area of Anderson w/ a population of approx 26,000 there are approx 225 registered offenders, and
in the town of Pendleton there are approx 3,300 people w/ approx 29 registered offenders)
Where we currently live on the west coast in a city of 31,000 there are 5 registered offenders and there is very low crime so when I saw the stats for near Clemson, it really concerned me.
Thank you for any additional thoughts you may have.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:48 AM

6,888 posts, read 22,422,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozzie View Post
Thank you very much for your replies, I really do appreciate it. May I ask please, if you have any insight as to why the number of registered offenders is so high? ( in the area of Anderson w/ a population of approx 26,000 there are approx 225 registered offenders, and
in the town of Pendleton there are approx 3,300 people w/ approx 29 registered offenders)
Where we currently live on the west coast in a city of 31,000 there are 5 registered offenders and there is very low crime so when I saw the stats for near Clemson, it really concerned me.
Thank you for any additional thoughts you may have.
Cheap housing! These people are limited in the jobs they can get (as they should be) so most don't have a lot of money and they seek out cheap housing.

Old 02-01-2012, 07:05 PM

69 posts, read 185,624 times
I do remember when I was younger a lot of pregnant teens (or teens whose parents would catch them having sex) would call in their older boyfriend if they got pregnant (statutory rape on your record=a registered offender). That may be part of the reason. Crime in general is very low in the area...most crimes seem to revolve around shady characters who know other shady characters. I only know of one instance of a "crime" in Anderson and it wasn't necessary in a good part of Anderson (the college isn't in a safe area but isn't too bad either). There is a lot of partying in Clemson, if you have teens, they will find the parties, it's not hard, but Daniel is a great school (best in the area in my opinion and I didn't even go there).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area