Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-08-2012, 04:26 PM
 
Location: SC
9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Reputation: 3619

Advertisements

Is Barnes & Nobles a good place to get a good map of Greenville County and what surrounds it?

I'd love to find one that even just shows the main and secondary roads and covers Anderson to the west, Asheville, NC to the north; Spartanburg to the east and Fountain Inn to the south and of course Greenville front and center and whatever lies inside those 4 points. Is there any such thing?

It would be nice to have a little one of downtown Greenville too.

I have one that one of the real estate agencies gives out but it is enormous and the street names are in such tiny fonts you need a magnifying glass to read them.

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
 
Location: SC
9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Reputation: 3619
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Is Barnes & Nobles a good place to get a good map of Greenville County and what surrounds it?

I'd love to find one that even just shows the main and secondary roads and covers Anderson to the west, Asheville, NC to the north; Spartanburg to the east and Fountain Inn to the south and of course Greenville front and center and whatever lies inside those 4 points. Is there any such thing?

It would be nice to have a little one of downtown Greenville too.

I have one that one of the real estate agencies gives out but it is enormous and the street names are in such tiny fonts you need a magnifying glass to read them.

Thanks.
C'mon! Everyone here uses GPS's instead of maps? Your brains will atrophy away if you don't use them once in a while. ( If you don't use it, you lose it...as the saying goes.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Reputation: 4544
Have no idea what B&N offers; give it time, not everyone sits here all day and night waiting for questions.

Personally I use google to figure out where I'm going before I leave home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 07:33 PM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,739,938 times
Reputation: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
C'mon! Everyone here uses GPS's instead of maps?
Yes - I wonder what will happen to those who grow up depending on GPS's. At least they'll be skeptical of electronic voices: "Turn left into the Reedy River"

And that has led to fewer artist / cartographers making good handmade maps of things like the special downtown Greenville map you were thinking of.

Me? I use GPSs, but build electronic maps also for fun - see Greenville Open Map . If you look at the Other Map Resources tab, there are many alternate ways of showing the data. But the primary use of that data is electronic routing or navigation via Smartphone apps. There are several printing options, but usually not the best display for any specific map use because the printed maps are mostly general purpose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC/Greensboro, NC
1,997 posts, read 4,579,193 times
Reputation: 1774
I absolutely love the state Atlas and Gazetteer Maps. Unfortunately, these are not updated continuously - the SC edition was last updated in 2010.

As for Greenville Open Map - this is probably the best online map of the city (thanks Bikeoid!).

As noted above, Google Maps is another great online source.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 PM
 
Location: SC
9,101 posts, read 16,385,883 times
Reputation: 3619
Thanks. I've been using Map Quest and Google Maps but I'd really like to have decent maps so I won;t have to go on-line every time I want to go somewhere I haven't been before -- especially if there are technical problems and I can't print it out or whatever. It is nice to have a map in the car I can just refer to. Come to think of it, I suppose AAA or USAA which I use might have something along those lines.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:32 PM
 
Location: Greenville, SC
11,689 posts, read 24,637,762 times
Reputation: 3429
AAA would be the best place in my opinion to pick one up. I've gotten several good maps from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 08:43 PM
 
Location: home state of Myrtle Beach!
6,888 posts, read 22,420,772 times
Reputation: 4544
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Thanks. I've been using Map Quest and Google Maps but I'd really like to have decent maps so I won;t have to go on-line every time I want to go somewhere I haven't been before -- especially if there are technical problems and I can't print it out or whatever. It is nice to have a map in the car I can just refer to. Come to think of it, I suppose AAA or USAA which I use might have something along those lines.
We had one or two from AAA when we moved here and I highly recommend them.

We never go anywhere now that we don't know how to get to so it's rarely an issue. The biggest thing I need help with is basically where is 1300 on N Pleasantburg or something like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-08-2012, 10:25 PM
 
Location: Wandering.
3,549 posts, read 6,630,407 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
C'mon! Everyone here uses GPS's instead of maps? Your brains will atrophy away if you don't use them once in a while. ( If you don't use it, you lose it...as the saying goes.)
I don't use GPS navigation at all, but I don't have any paper maps either. I use Google Maps, Bing Maps, etc to map things out before we leave, and both of our phones have the same web based maps (along with GPS), and full blown map programs on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-09-2012, 07:09 AM
 
1,841 posts, read 2,739,938 times
Reputation: 1058
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
It would be nice to have a little one of downtown Greenville too.

Here's an auto-generated map of downtown. Pretty generalized, plus a street and church index which doesn't include restaurants and stores:

Downtown greenville printable map
and Matching street index
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:




Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top