Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 05:04 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times

Advertisements

Asking Greenville area residents for their
favorite spots nearby for birding, hiking, waterfalls, creeks, lakes etc.

I hope to visit in summer, when Charleston is oh-so-hot and humid! Love being near the beach but a break from the heat in July or August!

Also, besides local chain hotels, any recommendations of places to stay, unusual hotels or inns? Any near state parks or even up to Gr Smok Nat Park??

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2012, 05:43 PM

27,073 posts, read 11,855,774 times
Thanks..I'll Google and see what comes up...

(forgot to mention...I am new to SC)

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Biking: Swamp Rabbit, Lake Conestee, Paris M

Old 02-28-2012, 07:09 PM

23 posts, read 32,645 times
subscribing to this...

also curious about the unusual hotels/inns

Old 02-28-2012, 07:59 PM

10,090 posts, read 7,763,936 times
You must rent a bike and do the Swamp Rabbit or just hike the trail. You will absolutely love it and wonder why Charleston has nothing even close to it.

There are so so many places to hike or to see waterfalls. I've been to a lot but hadn't even begun to put a dent in all there is to see.

Last week I went to Dupont State Forest. I loved it. You can see so many beautiful waterfalls all there close together. It's so relaxing.

How about rent a pontoon and ride up and down Lake Jocassee? That is one BEAUTIFUL lake surrounded by mountains. I highly recommend that. It will make you forget hot and humid Charleston.

There is Jones Gap for hiking. It's not too far away from Greenville.

If you want to stay in the Greenville area, then Paris Mtn is very close and it's a very nice park.

I must warn you though. If you come up and see the downtown and swamp rabbit trail and see all the beautiful country with hills and open spaces and fields, you may not want to go back to Charleston.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:40 PM

155 posts, read 266,042 times
You'll need to keep heading north for a real break in the heat/humidity. I'd head to the high elevations of NC/TN.

Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,788,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by greatblueheron View Post
Thanks..I'll Google and see what comes up...

(forgot to mention...I am new to SC)
I accidently deleted my post. Glad you were able to see it in time though.

Old 02-29-2012, 04:01 AM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
There are something like 160 waterfalls in upstate SC, some are quite a hike; others right by the road. All along Rte. 11 there is access to a number of parks and trails.

For a unique place to stay, we like Sunrise Farms in Salem. It's a hobby farm B&B, and you can either stay in the main house, or in an individual cottage with full kitchen. It is a ways from Greenville, though, but close to the mountains.

Salutethehill is right though. It could be just as hot in Greenville, depending upon the weather systems. Highlands, NC is almost always quite cool due to the elevation.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:06 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
If you are looking for waterfalls in SC, this site is a good resource:
South Carolina Waterfalls

You should also check out the NC waterfalls section on that site.

I mostly camp so I don't have any recommendations on hotels.

Old 02-29-2012, 09:55 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,942,090 times
Here are a few sites I've bookmarked for my own future reference:

http://www.localhikes.com/MSA/MSA_3160.asp

Best Running And Hiking Trails In Greenville, SC

Other Upstate Mountain Trails Hiking - Hikes

Old 02-29-2012, 01:57 PM

745 posts, read 2,233,003 times
I forgot a couple unique places to stay:

There are log cabins at Table Rock, some of which were built by the Civilian Conservation Corps in the 1930's. They are complete with fireplace, kitchen, and heat and A/C. They are right in the park, at the base of the mountain.

We often stay at Valley Park RV park in Travelers Rest. They have 4 modern log cabins, also complete, that they rent out. It's pretty handy to the mountains as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area