Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 07:30 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Greenville featured in 'Where to Retire' magazine
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2020, 08:45 AM

14 posts, read 10,201 times
Don’t mind the ignorance, it’s youth! Lol. Retirement brings spendable $ and people who want nice amenities, activities and have time to give into a place. Me - a military retiree about to move into Gville.

Old 09-21-2020, 09:15 AM

601 posts, read 458,707 times
Well, retirees from higher COL areas also drive up housing costs for everyone. But, it's OK, it's a free country.

Old 09-21-2020, 01:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutoro View Post
I’m surprised given there are several universities in the area. Has he got on Meetup.com for local social groups?
Greenville isn't really a college town. Clemson is 45 minutes away, and Furman is small and several miles out of town. It's a very different situation compared to Columbia SC or Knoxville TN, where you have large universities right in town and somewhat of a counterculture revolving around the university.

Old 09-21-2020, 05:49 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutoro View Post
I’m surprised given there are several universities in the area. Has he got on Meetup.com for local social groups?
Read my post again- he is not the typical young person. He tried Meetups- so few here compared to other places and he didn't meet anyone he meshed with.

Old 09-22-2020, 09:05 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,057,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I wil give my perspective- those cotton heads, LOL I could be one, keep me in business to a large degree. However, my son has been really lost here, as compared to Raleigh where we moved from, there is no one for him here. He is not a bar going, concert going person, and has found few young people with whom he can relate. So I am glad for the retirees for sure, but there are things lacking for the "atypical" young single person.
I think Greenville is a good place to retire. There's nothing wrong with older people...lol. We all will be one someday. Looks like the poster that made the comment came from ATL which has more people with a variety of ages. I could see how he/she is coming up with the assumption. It's nice to live where you have a variety of ages. My son is similar to your son and they are both in their 20's. He had the same issue as your son when we lived there. He didn't like it and just didn't click with people there. Asheville has been such a better fit for him for sure. It goes to show every place isn't for everyone

Old 09-22-2020, 08:08 PM

738 posts, read 416,533 times
Greenville has a more youthful population than Asheville.

I think a significant majority of people 50 and younger would prefer Greenville over Asheville.

Old 09-23-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post

I think a significant majority of people 50 and younger would prefer Greenville over Asheville.
Depends on your goals, interests, and personality type. Greenville has a much better job market, more diverse economy, and lower housing costs. So for most career- and family-oriented younger people, Greenville is better.

Asheville has several decades' head start over Greenville in terms of being a retirement destination, so I can believe that Asheville's average age is older. However Asheville also has a history of being a counterculture destination going back many decades, so the 'quirkiness' factor is much higher in Asheville.

Old 09-23-2020, 05:19 PM

738 posts, read 416,533 times
It seems like quirky people would have a harder time making friends with other quirky people assuming each quirky person is uniquely weird rather than just like minded people. A non-quirky person on average is probably better at making friends with a quirky people than other quirky people.

It is hard to envision Kramer hanging out with another Kramer. Every Kramer needs a Jerry.

It seems what you are referencing when you say counterculture could be seen as aligned with this country's pop culture. Hollywood, late night comedians, athletes, musicians, etc generally seem to be on the same page on everything and I assume they have a lot of influence.

I would say if a person is not aligned with the pop culture , they are part of the counterculture. Which would make Greenville a counter cultural metro in that way. It is is aligned with the general Americana culture, college football and basketball, going to the beach, playing golf, living the 'good life', etc.

Any young male or female who plays sports should be able to make friends here easily. One idea for young people who don't play sports currently is to take group tennis lessons for beginners.

Last edited by Huckleberry Knob; 09-23-2020 at 05:45 PM..

Old 09-30-2020, 12:27 PM

143 posts, read 117,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huckleberry Knob View Post

Yep - wife and I are 64. We used to like visiting Asheville and maybe retiring there. It's ruined now. Way too much traffic and the cost of housing is just stupid for what you get. We liked Hendersonville better. Then we visited Brevard and liked that even better. Then we visited Greenville and quit looking anywhere else. We expect to retire in Greenville area next year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area