Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2012, 10:26 AM

10,106 posts, read 7,771,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Focus on smart planning, promoting walkability, the nature of the surrounding area, "we can do it" attitude, being friendly, etc.

I just like the culture or vibe from Greenville and it was the same way when I came here as a kid so hopefully they keep nurturing that sensibility. There are ways to expand without losing your "soul." This city is very small town feeling while still retaining some of the largest employers in the area and having new buildings being thrown up on every street.

Culture isn't always an easy thing to put into words most time so I hope I am making sense. It's more something you have to experience for yourself.
YES!!! Exactly what I hope for Greenville but was having a hard time putting it into words! That makes perfect sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2012, 11:18 AM

374 posts, read 834,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scguy89 View Post
Focus on smart planning, promoting walkability, the nature of the surrounding area, "we can do it" attitude, being friendly, etc.

I just like the culture or vibe from Greenville and it was the same way when I came here as a kid so hopefully they keep nurturing that sensibility. There are ways to expand without losing your "soul." This city is very small town feeling while still retaining some of the largest employers in the area and having new buildings being thrown up on every street.

Culture isn't always an easy thing to put into words most time so I hope I am making sense. It's more something you have to experience for yourself.
Liked... a personal view.

Rep'd

Old 04-21-2012, 01:00 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,329 times
Greenville has a huge employment problem.

Change is needed to correct that for the entire community, future College grads.

Old 04-21-2012, 07:56 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post

Change is needed to correct that for the entire community, future College grads.
I suppose you think an amusement park will magically "change" the "huge employment problem" in Greenville? I wonder how an amusement park will affect the employment of future college grads?

By the way, as I've pointed out elsewhere, Greenville's unemployment rate is lower than the overall national unemployment rate. If you travel much, then you know we are very fortunate compared to many other cities in this country.

Old 04-21-2012, 09:50 AM

1,947 posts, read 2,759,950 times
Quote:

If you see jobs being added each month and this area growing fast, then I guess you see it as a problem. Come on, there is no huge employment problem here. I talk to small business owners every single day. Most have already started hiring or are getting ready to do so. The one thing holding them back is the uncertainty coming from D.C. over taxes, health insurance costs and last but least, excessive regulations. I don't know what this has to do with an amusement park, but I just had to respond to your ridiculous comment.

Old 04-21-2012, 03:22 PM

1,556 posts, read 3,548,530 times
Quote:

A huge problem is an understatement! An amusement park in addition to some other large developments would be a good step forward. Never seen a city with such limited industry options and a bunch of people who like to pretend that things are okay.

Rep heading your way!

Old 04-21-2012, 04:06 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,383,609 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkBorn View Post
A huge problem is an understatement! An amusement park in addition to some other large developments would be a good step forward. Never seen a city with such limited industry options […]
Those "limited industry options" were enough to lure you away from your beloved NYC, right? I doubt anyone here would deny that the local economy in a vast majority of U.S. cities is weaker today than it was in 2007, but you cannot legitimately claim that our local economy is stagnant (not growing, recovering or improving). If Greenville has a "huge employment problem," then NYC is in much worse shape. Greenville County's unemployment rate in March was 6.8% compared to 9.7% in NYC. (http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/20...utpace-hiring/)

Old 04-22-2012, 07:48 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,470,923 times
Quote:

How does it have a huge employment problem when it was one of the fastest growing cities in the U.S. over the past year?!? Unemployment is down, and hiring forecasts for the metro are among the most favorable of any in the U.S. These favorable rankings have been posted here and discussed. Were you not paying attention?

Old 04-22-2012, 07:51 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,797,602 times
Greenville County is tied with Lexington and Charleston counties for having the lowest unemployment rate in the state at 6.8%. Oh and can't forget about this either: http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelop...ing_4_2012.pdf

Old 04-23-2012, 10:38 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,821,926 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Greenville County is tied with Lexington and Charleston counties for having the lowest unemployment rate in the state at 6.8%. Oh and can't forget about this either: http://www.greenvilleeconomicdevelop...ing_4_2012.pdf

Wow, this thread has really gotten off topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area