Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2012, 07:36 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,539,296 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
I would not mind something different such as a local weather channel, which WYFF and WSPA previously had successfully.
Yep, those were useful!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2012, 12:44 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
Quote:
Are there any networks similar to The Cool TV for rock music? I do not mind country music programming, buy many of us grew up on music videos from the 1980s.

As for retro television programming, the market does well with This TV and MeTV. I would not mind something different such as a local weather channel, which WYFF and WSPA previously had successfully.
WHNS 21.2 still shows a live radar and has National Weather Service audio. But many markets are dropping the weather subchannels. The NBC WeatherPlus was very good on WYFF4.2, but was dropped after NBC bought the WeatherChannel.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:12 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Yep, those were useful!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
WHNS 21.2 still shows a live radar and has National Weather Service audio. But many markets are dropping the weather subchannels. The NBC WeatherPlus was very good on WYFF4.2, but was dropped after NBC bought the WeatherChannel.
The availability to access weather information on mobile devices may have eliminated the need for weather programming on television, but the outlet is still useful.

NBC missed an opportunity to infuse NBC WeatherPlus with Weather Channel's local forecasting abilities, utilizing NBC affiliates. As Weather Channel is airing more weather related reporting series or reality television, local weather subchannels would be useful once again.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:29 PM

Quote:
The availability to access weather information on mobile devices may have eliminated the need for weather programming on television, but the outlet is still useful.

NBC missed an opportunity to infuse NBC WeatherPlus with Weather Channel's local forecasting abilities, utilizing NBC affiliates. As Weather Channel is airing more weather related reporting series or reality television, local weather subchannels would be useful once again.
I *SO* agree!

Old 10-05-2012, 07:11 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,221,764 times
Chris Cato, anchor for WSPA 7 (CBS, Spartanburg), is leaving. Cato co-anchored WSPA's 5:30pm and 7pm weekday newscasts with Tracy Early. Gordon Dill will permanently fill Cato's vacancy October 15.

Cato is joining WCAU 10 (NBC, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania). Cato will co-anchor WCAU's 6pm and 11pm weekend newscasts with Denise Nakano and have general assignment reporting duties weekdays. Cato begins October 29.

Last edited by Carolina Knight; 10-05-2012 at 07:37 PM..

Old 10-05-2012, 09:05 PM

152 posts, read 322,243 times
If there are that many people inside watching TV......it could just mean that there really isn't much to do outside.

Old 10-06-2012, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCreek1997 View Post
If there are that many people inside watching TV......it could just mean that there really isn't much to do outside.
??? There's lots to do around here both indoors and outdoors. Something for everybody! Live & let live....

Old 10-06-2012, 10:51 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,449,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Haha, so true. We always comment about how amateur the news stations are.
I couldn't agree more. Too bad we can't get a signal for Atlanta or Charlotte or even Columbia for that matter. Also there should at least be two more talk radio stations with local hosts that talk about local and national events. WORD seems a little too mainstream and safe to me.(I'm a little sick of the "anyone but Obama" broken record/ mantra... and the glorification of Romney with no mention of Gary Johnson or writing in Ron Paul.( I wonder if the hosts even know about...or to be fair maybe they've been ordered not to bring up that both Romney and Obama agree about the NDAA and indefinite detention of American Citizens Provision. Rarely is anything controversial discussed.

With all the good syndicated national hosts out there they spend FAR TOO MUCH TIME BORING US to no end with repeats of the same infomercials over and over at night and on the weekends WITH NO OTHER STATIONS TO TURN TO except music and NPR or numerous religious stations.

I'm SO sick of Rush Limbaugh and Dave Ramsey. If you've heard one Dave Ramsey show, you've heard them all.

Maybe the reason there aren't more radio stations is that too many people here are glued to their reality shows on TV or their sports. Being a large TV market with such a small population isn't something we should be proud of for sure!

I will say, I do think the weather reports are interesting here. They were so predictable and boring in Charleston.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:03 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,661,462 times
[quote=emilybh;26410620

Maybe the reason there aren't more radio stations is that too many people here are glued to their reality shows on TV or their sports. Being a large TV market with such a small population isn't something we should be proud of for sure!

[/quote]

The market is based on population, and in this case includes Asheville.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM

5,158 posts, read 7,346,591 times
The reason GSP is a somewhat large TV market is because Asheville, western NC, and northern GA are included. GSP is the largest SC based market, although Charlotte does include some SC counties, and their signals do overlap into parts of the GSP area. I get WBTV-3, WCNC-36, WJZY-46, and WMYT-55 consistently at my location near Woodruff and Butler Rds. And WSOC-9 a good bit of the time in the evening and overnight. WYFF-4, WSPA-7, and WHNS-21 are easy to receive, but WLOS-13 can be problematic in some Upstate areas. But supposedly they are adding a translator signal on Paris Mtn. to improve reception. I use a TiVo to very nicely integrate Charter cable and OTA antenna reception in one box with one HDMI cable and one remote. Very nice set up with DVR and complete channel listings and program info, and a nice backup if cable ever goes out. Best to purchase TiVo box and lifetime subscription when discount promotions are available. I use a Gaffney zip code to get channel listings for both GSP and Charlotte broadcast channels, and the channel listings do correspond for the cable listings as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area