Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 02:17 PM

428 posts, read 362,838 times

Advertisements

Hobby Town USA off Verdae. Worked there for a few years
Manifest when it was by Zorba's lounge.
That weird Zaxbys that I heard was a punk club in the 80s and Black Flag supposedly played there unannounced.
On Deck Circle Baseball cards in Taylors
X Records on Laurens. Ted recorded my crappy punk band's album there in '99
Greenville Braves. Damn shame the city let them leave. Single A baseball sucks
Skipping school at Wade Hampton to play putt putt and watch movies at the theater
Woodchuck's bar on pleasantburg. They didn't card! haha
That great pizza place at greenville mall
That place that was like tropical island by haywood mall. Something Mountain
Working at stupid Teletech in the flor daniel building.
The Video store in the shopping center on poinsette next to The Peddlar. Rented transformer's cartoons there in the 80s
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 03:48 PM

17,587 posts, read 15,266,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
That weird Zaxbys that I heard was a punk club in the 80s and Black Flag supposedly played there unannounced.
The Zaxby's must have been the house on Laurens Rd.. Once Zaxby's finalized their concept (I believe the Laurens Rd location was the first outside of Georgia and one of the first 10 Zaxby's restaurants) they demolished the house and built the modern restaurant there.

I remember going there on Friday nights for wings and beer.

I know the place you're talking about for the tropical island-like place.. Was it where Sportsclub is now or the parking lot of Sportsclub? Right around there, wasn't it?

There was a similar, if not co-owned place around Herron Circle in Spartanburg I believe.

Old 03-09-2018, 06:53 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,020,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
The Zaxby's must have been the house on Laurens Rd.. Once Zaxby's finalized their concept (I believe the Laurens Rd location was the first outside of Georgia and one of the first 10 Zaxby's restaurants) they demolished the house and built the modern restaurant there.

I remember going there on Friday nights for wings and beer.

I know the place you're talking about for the tropical island-like place.. Was it where Sportsclub is now or the parking lot of Sportsclub? Right around there, wasn't it?

There was a similar, if not co-owned place around Herron Circle in Spartanburg I believe.
That house on Laurens was originally a really nice restaurant and bar in the early 80's around the time when Haywood Mall opened. McAllister Square was still alive and well across the way. I was young so I don't remember the name. There was a huge tree in front that had lights strung in it. It may have been some type of night/dance club after the restaurant and before Zaxby's was there briefly prior to razing it for the newer Zaxby's prototype with drive-thru.

Old 03-09-2018, 07:55 PM

632 posts, read 748,843 times
Vistatiger
Your memory is pretty much spot on. It was a high end restaurant at one point and then it became a night/dance club. My ex and I celebrated Halloween there, with several friends. That would have been 1979 - 80, right after I left the military. For the life of me I can't recall the name of the place.

Old 03-09-2018, 08:38 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,212,747 times
Darnit, I can't remember the name of the nice restaurant either.It had two floors of seating and a rather grand staircase.The house/ building itself looked oddly out of place.It looked as if you should expect Ashley Wilkes to ride up on his horse, tipping his hat to Scarlett and Mellie!

Old 03-10-2018, 08:42 PM

214 posts, read 301,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Mountasia.

Old 03-11-2018, 05:35 PM

1,279 posts, read 853,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
That Eckerds and the one at McAlister square were initially Walgreens stores according to my mother. Walgreens had a number of stores across the country that were called agency stores. Basically franchise stores run by independent owners. Some of them got folded into the chain once the franchise agreement ended. Stores further outside the Walgreens market area were typically taken over by other chains, like the two in Greenville.
Interesting, thanks.

Odd then how a bunch of new Walgreens stores were built in Greenville (one at McAlister, which must have opened around 1968, and one at Bell Tower Mall, which must have opened in 1970), but they must have been gone by the mid-70s, as I only remember the McAlister Square store as an Eckerd's.

Did Walgreens maybe terminate all of its franchise agreements in Greenville at the same time, perhaps pulling out of the market?

The McAlister Square store was a nice Eckerd's--large and spacious. I think it had an optical shop at the entrance?

Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Eckerd Optical, as I recall, was nearby Ivey's/Dillard's.

Old 03-13-2018, 09:04 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,256,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 1968 View Post
Is it just me or did the Wade Hampton Mall at BJU have outdoor escalators during its days?
Quote:
Originally Posted by B&R View Post
Yes it did. We went up and down those escalators many times as kids. The Mall was on two levels, although most of the stores and floor space were on the upper level. There was a corridor coming from the middle of the upper plaza that had stairs flanking the escalators. The lower level was mostly small shops and was more of a back side than anything else.

The movie theater was a detached building that only shared the parking lot.
This is the first I am reading of Wade Hampton Mall having escalators outside. They must have been removed before the 1990's. I would frequent Wade Hampton Mall when I got my hair washed and cut at Academy of Hair Technology (now at Vaughn's at East North, 3715 East North Street, Suite F, Greenville, South Carolina 29615-2302).

Old 03-13-2018, 11:38 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,294,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuppiesandKittens View Post
Interesting, thanks.

Odd then how a bunch of new Walgreens stores were built in Greenville (one at McAlister, which must have opened around 1968, and one at Bell Tower Mall, which must have opened in 1970), but they must have been gone by the mid-70s, as I only remember the McAlister Square store as an Eckerd's.

Did Walgreens maybe terminate all of its franchise agreements in Greenville at the same time, perhaps pulling out of the market?

The McAlister Square store was a nice Eckerd's--large and spacious. I think it had an optical shop at the entrance?
That Eckerd also had a restaurant. The restaurant manager became one of the Assistant managers at the store I worked at when the restaurant was closed.

I think Walgreen didn't renew most of the franchise agreements (they were called Walgreen Agency stores). In some markets, they bought the stores and folded them into their chain (the Cumberland Ave store off of the UTK campus in Knoxville I believe is an example). In other markets they just left the market, like in Greenville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area