Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-13-2018, 02:11 PM

4,600 posts, read 6,007,784 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
Eckerd Optical, as I recall, was nearby Ivey's/Dillard's.
Yes, I remember that now. The optical shop was near the mall entrance on the left beside Iveys and Eckerd (with its lunch counter) was in the middle main mall entrance. Morrison's Cafeteria and Baskin Robbins were across the way . Part of that Eckerd space by the main entrance became a Fatz Café in the 90's I believe.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2018, 03:39 PM

1,267 posts, read 1,210,414 times
CK, I think I remember functioning outdoor escalators in the early 70's.I think I remember them still being there in the 80's, but fixed in place.

Old 03-13-2018, 05:19 PM

1,279 posts, read 851,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Yes, I remember that now. The optical shop was near the mall entrance on the left beside Iveys and Eckerd (with its lunch counter) was in the middle main mall entrance. Morrison's Cafeteria and Baskin Robbins were across the way . Part of that Eckerd space by the main entrance became a Fatz Café in the 90's I believe.
Yes, there was an optical store in the Eckerd's store itself, right at the entrance. Then it moved and became a stand-alone store. The Fatz Cafe was a bank branch until the '90/'91 renovation.

I think I spent too much time at McAlister Square! I always didn't care for Haywood, and Greenville Mall was a dump.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:04 PM

17 posts, read 32,889 times
Revco Drug stores
Phar-Mor drug store on Haywood Rd
Bi-Lo on Augusta St next to Eckard drugs
Garner's Fresh Market at McAlister’s Square

Old 08-11-2018, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 1,477 times
I'm trying to see if anyone remembers & maybe has pictures of the 2 greatest swimming holes I've ever been to? soooo many memories.
1.Pine Grove swimming lake
2. Woods Lake swimming hole.
There both in Greenville, South Carolina
If you do please post if you lhave any pictures & your fun time's or memories you had at either of these 2 wonderful family fun spots.

Old 05-02-2019, 05:36 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,392,447 times
For some reason, an old movie ad for the Belmont outdoor cinema that was located on Wade Hampton in Taylors was posted on Twitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/D5lIbphWwAIFMW9.jpg

Old 06-10-2019, 08:50 PM

2 posts, read 2,213 times
Gosh, I worked at morrison's at Haywood Mall during high school, and before my parents and i ate at the one downtown, but for the life of me, I do not remember a Morrison's at Greenville Mall.

Old 06-10-2019, 08:54 PM

2 posts, read 2,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackwele View Post
I'm trying to see if anyone remembers & maybe has pictures of the 2 greatest swimming holes I've ever been to? soooo many memories.
1.Pine Grove swimming lake
2. Woods Lake swimming hole.
There both in Greenville, South Carolina
If you do please post if you lhave any pictures & your fun time's or memories you had at either of these 2 wonderful family fun spots.
OMGosh, I grew up at Pine Grove with it's huge slide and sandy bottom pool. When it got too hot or rainy, went into the area with the jukebox and someone always dancing.

Old 12-28-2021, 11:05 PM

3 posts, read 1,917 times
Default Gelato Roberto was the Italian place maybe?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey 1968 View Post
A list of places I remember from my younger days that I haven't seen posted on here:

Black Eye Pea restaurant was in the building where Jason's Deli is now across the street from Haywood Mall.

In Haywood Malls first years my favorite men's Store were Chess King and J. Riggin's. J Riggin's also had a location at Greenville Mall.

Other long gone stores at Haywood Mall: Bombay Company Furniture, S&S Cafeteria used to have a restaurant on the entrance corridor between Rich's and Sears. It was on the left side which eventually became a beauty shop. Today it is part of the Apple Store. At one point there was a restaurant to the right side of the mall entrance to Belk's. Can't remember the name or if it was on the lower or upper level. If memory serves me, it was an Italian restaurant.

During Haywood Malls Grand Opening back in 1980, the mall used to have a dance group called the Haywood Players. (I'm pretty sure that was the name of the group) The newly crowned Miss Universe 1980, Shawn Weatherly of Sumter, SC made a guest appearance at one of the grand opening shows on the stage that used to be in the Center Court. I was there, so that is how I always remember that the mall opened its doors in the summer of 1980.

Merry-Go-Round store at Greenville Mall

Storehouse Furniture opened a second location at Greenville Mall after its major renovation in the 90's. Their first location was on Pleasantburg Drive across from BJU a few doors down from where Shoney's used to be. The building is still there. Today its some kind of Mexican grocery outlet.

Ivey's at McAlister Square had a restaurant on the upper level name McArthur's.

Heilig-Meyers Furniture Store

The site of Red Lobster and part of the actual restaurant itself used to be a Howard Johnson's Motor Lodge.

The Bell Tower Mall was anchored by Edward's Department store on the right end. The other end was anchored by Woolco.

Old Mill Stream Fish Camp located on HWY 14 at Pelham Road beside the river. Today the river and falls are not visible from overgrown trees and weeds. There was a cage in front of the restaurant with a bear inside. The bear's name was Baby.

W.T. Grant Department store in Greer Plaza where The Market Place Grocery and Badcock Furniture is today. Grants also had a restaurant inside on the front to the left. Back then the name of the shopping center was Grant Plaza.

Garcia's Mexican Restaurant, Orchard Park Drive. Myrtle Beach still had a Garcia's long after ours closed. The one in MB is now gone as well.

Shoney's on Orchard Park Drive. Today its part of the hotel.....I forget the name.

TG&Y dime store in Taylors between Wade Hampton and East Lee Road where Auto Zone is today....or probably a few doors down. A&P Grocery store was also in that shopping center. If you look up closely above Auto Zone, the old A&P roof is sticking out above the Auto Zone facade!

Lechmere Department store in the Gallery Shopping Center on Haywood where that cheap store called Gabe's is now located. Darn, I loved that store and miss it!

Boston Market - two locations: one on Laurens Road and one on Pelham in front of the Bi-LO. I never understood why they closed. They served rotisserie chicken decent healthy options. No locations exist in SC. I still eat there, but it means going to either Asheville, Charlotte or Atlanta.

Linens N Things at The Shoppes at Greenridge (today Buy Buy Baby)

Old Country Buffet at Verdae Marketfair (today Mr. K's Books)

When all the BI-LO stores had cows on the roof! I'm serious! They really did - fake ones of course. LOL

That's All Folks!!!!
Gelato Roberto was the Italian restaurant?

Old 12-28-2021, 11:08 PM

3 posts, read 1,917 times
Default McAlister square

Quote:
Originally Posted by skayse View Post
Gosh, I worked at morrison's at Haywood Mall during high school, and before my parents and i ate at the one downtown, but for the life of me, I do not remember a Morrison's at Greenville Mall.
McAlister square right beside Baskin Robbins
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area