Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 04:33 PM

609 posts, read 1,619,341 times

Advertisements

Yes, that's the Farmers market. Lol That little building where they sell seasonal / holiday plants and trees. Boiled Peanuts rock. etc

And you can say that about the athletes. But realistically , how many people that studied found great careers/ jobs? It's all about self-innovation imho. I was a C student but was making more than 95% of my class makes today, 1 year out of high school.. self-made
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2012, 04:59 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
Good thread. Here are some things I remember:

I remember Umbro where Cherrydale Point is now.

I remember Haywood Mall without Dillard's or parking garage and when Macy's was Rich's.

I remember the Greenville Memorial Auditorium that was imploded downtown.

I remember Shoney's on Pleasantburg Drive across from Bob Jones University.

I remember the dollar movie theater on Haywood Road where Redemption World Outreach Center is now.

I remember when Shops at Greenridge was nothing but a huge pine tree forest.

I remember when Greenville Mall and McAlister Square were both open and thriving as malls.

I remember FWA at Donaldson Center.

I remember Greenville Braves baseball.

I remember when the falls at Falls Park was covered by a vehicle bridge.

I remember Jeff Lynch being Lowe's along with Sam's Club, Goody's, Boston Market and Best Buy on Laurens Road.

I remember Riverplace being nothing but an ugly parking lot with a few storefronts along Main Street. Whatever happened to that Billy Mitchell guy anyways? *runs and hides*

Last edited by g-man430; 05-07-2012 at 05:16 PM..

Old 05-07-2012, 06:10 PM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Although it was the big thing more than 20 years ago: Morgan Manor was the first "mall" in the area. This is the shopping center off Pleasantburg above the Star Lanes. (Remember the space themed Astro theaters?) Something seems to be happening to that property, most of the businesses have vacated in the last year.

Artisphere used to be Riverplace Festival - I have a bunch of pics, including festival events that were held on the old bridge over the Reedy. Nothing of earth-shaking interest though, that would contrast the difference from old to new.

Last edited by bikeoid; 05-07-2012 at 06:14 PM.. Reason: Correct bowling alley name

Old 05-07-2012, 07:44 PM

54 posts, read 147,560 times
I remember the Bijou Movie Theater off Wade Hampton Blvd.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:05 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Artisphere used to be Riverplace Festival - I have a bunch of pics, including festival events that were held on the old bridge over the Reedy. Nothing of earth-shaking interest though, that would contrast the difference from old to new.
I remember the Coca-Cola RiverPlace Arts Festival very well and cried when it was cancelled. Artisphere is a major improvement though.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:12 PM

5,590 posts, read 15,371,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post
I loved it when Freedom Weekend Aloft was at Donaldson. Depending on the winds, some years the balloons would come right over our house, including one that landed on our street. One of our dogs would alternate between a single bark at a balloon then running underneath the deck to hide.
I really miss the amazing air shows at Donaldson. The USAF Thunderbirds and USN Blue Angels were frequent performers in Greenville.

Old 05-07-2012, 08:49 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
I'm showing my age, but things I remember as a child are:

The library was on Main St across from Trinity Lutheran.
The Fox and Carolina theaters on Main St.
Bell Tower Mall where County Square is now located. There was Edwards and Sky City as anchors and the Tower Theater where Family Court is located.
Wade Hampton Mall which is now part of BJU.
Plaza Theater at Lewis Plaza where Woodward Medical Center is located.
Roses right across from Plaza Theater and Owings Jewelers next to the theater and Belks next to that.
Pic n Pay Shoes on Aberdeen near the theater.
The bakery on the corner of Aberdeen and Augusta where Vaughn Russell Candy is.
Campbell's Pharmacy on Conestee Ave.
Cancellation Shoe store downtown near Belks on McBee.
Ivey's and Penney's on Main St.
The Dollar Store on S. Lauren's St owned by Belks.
Hotel Greenville which is now a retirement home.
Jones Funeral Home in the white Victorian building near Church St and Augusta.
A & P and Winn Dixie on Augusta.
The Plaza Pharmacy and the soda fountain there.
The lunch counter at Woolworth's.
Kress on Main St.
Western Auto at Pleasantburg Shopping Center and the sleds and wagons they had there.
Laurel Elementary School where Burlington is now.
BiLo that was at the intersection of Parkins Mill and Laurens Rd where an auto parts store is now.
I also miss the 8 O'Clock Superette which just closed a few years ago.
Also, the Howards lived on the corner of Faris and Cleveland where First Baptist is located and they had a purple building on stilts with white polka dots that I think was for homing pigeons. It was very memorable.

Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,137,125 times
How about Kash and Karry? Who else but me remembers that one?

Old 05-07-2012, 10:31 PM

423 posts, read 898,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ruvidu View Post
How about Kash and Karry? Who else but me remembers that one?
I remember Kash and Karry.

Old 05-08-2012, 03:30 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
There is still a few Kash and Karry's on the West Side of greenville, if its the same place. off Pendleton st and there used to be one off Buncombe somewhere too I think.
They might not be there anymore, but they were just about a year or so ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area