Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2023, 09:35 PM

25 posts, read 12,325 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Yeah we went to a game at Death Valley their first year. Sunday. I wasn't old enough to drink anyway.
I went to a few Panther games that year. You could buy tickets, at a somewhat reduced rate, for a 3 game package. I think they had a couple of combinations of 3 different games (1 preseason and 2 regular season) that you could choose from. It was for those who were willing to layout more money than single game tickets, but not enough for season tickets. I saw the Broncos (preseason), the Rams, and the 49ers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2023, 11:51 PM

17,586 posts, read 15,259,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boykinlp View Post
Wasn’t there a putt putt course in that general vicinity of Wade Hampton Blvd way back then?

Yeah. Putt Putt Golf and Games. I talked to the owners son quite often.. The place closed in 97 or so as I recall. Both he and I were Phillies fans, and I remember us sitting there watching the Phils clinch the East in '93.

Funny thing I was told.. Since many Bob Jones students would go there on dates.. There were apparently Bob Jones spies all around the place, making sure the students weren't kissing or even holding hands, I think.

Quote:
I went to a few Panther games that year. You could buy tickets, at a somewhat reduced rate, for a 3 game package. I think they had a couple of combinations of 3 different games (1 preseason and 2 regular season) that you could choose from. It was for those who were willing to layout more money than single game tickets, but not enough for season tickets. I saw the Broncos (preseason), the Rams, and the 49ers.

Do you recall the alcohol situation?

we got our tickets comped through Spartan Foods / Flagstar. I worked for one of the subsidiaries of it at the time.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:28 AM

423 posts, read 899,066 times
Quote:
I remember the Red Barn. Like you said, it was a sub shop, and at one point, it was, believe it or not, a kinda steak place. You could order steaks, chicken, wings, all cooked over a charcoal grill. For some reason, I’m thinking it was called “Cook Out”, not related to the chain around now. Also, it was basically a “To Go” or delivery location only. I remember they had an extremely small seating area……so you could eat there, but the place was like an oven on the inside because of the charcoal grill and no A/C. I use to live close by and this was before the days of the cell phone. I remember calling in ordering a nice ribeye, cooked how I liked, with baked potato and tossed salad, and driving to pick it up. The food was good.
I loved Red Barn. I used to get a 4” Nuclear sub. It was about 2” of meat and cheese. Definitely not heart-healthy. The Red Barn moved to East Lee Rd near Watson Rd. where Pereira Bakery is now.

The steak place was Steak Out, which was a delivery or carry-out steak place. There was also one on Mauldin Rd that is now Popeye’s Auto Detailing. Steak Out was the only place to get any meal delivered besides pizza. It was pretty good food for a delivery meal. It was part of a chain but all of the SC locations closed years ago.

Old 05-27-2023, 05:14 AM

428 posts, read 362,705 times
When we first moved back from Japan in 82 we stayed at my grandparents until my dad got his next duty station arranged. My mom took me to the Bijou for my first movie. It was Snow White. After about 10 minutes I told my mom "ok turn it off".

Yeah, Putt Putt on Wade Hampton closed some time around 97/98. I was in 11th grade then. We'd skip school and go play. Kids were always skipping. They'd either go to putt putt, that McDonald's behind the school (which still had the old style playground), or the Burger King across the Blvd. I went for 10th and 11th. We'd sometimes go to the theater, but at some point in those two years something went down there. Then you had to have an ID that you were 18 or older to get in unless it was after 4pm or a weekend. WHHS was pretty run down back then. It looks all fancy now according to street views.

Old 05-27-2023, 07:07 AM

9 posts, read 2,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenzy_army View Post
Funny that you mention Morgan Manor. I was just reading about the the Twin Astro theater. I don't think I ever went there. We would go to the Bijou when visiting because it was closer to my grandparent's house. There is a whole website on old theaters called cinema treasures. There was a drive in where the Texas Roadhouse is on wade Hampton. There was also a drive in where that old Ingles used to be on Poinsett heading towards Furman.

When we lived in Jacksonville, Florida in the 80s there was a BBQ King. Was it a chain?

Before the Bijou opened (ca. '78), Greenville movie theaters were large movie-houses: the Astro (I was built a few years before II), the Camelot (originally 1, but added 2 or 3); the Plaza (Lewis Plaza); the Mall Cinema (which was originally one cavernous theater that they divided into two); and the Tower (which was originally one big theater, to which they later added three). And of course the ones on Main, esp. the Carolina, of which I only have wispy memories.

For each of these theaters, their original and largest sat well over 500. I think maybe the Astro and Camelot sat closer to 700. Anyway, by today's standards they were really big. That's how I saw, e.g. Jaws & Star Wars (Astro), Rocky & ET (Camelot), Airport (Tower), Blazing Saddles (Plaza), and Disney stuff (generally at the Mall Cinema, I think).

The Camelot is the only one left, of course, though it too went out of business for a while, but made a comeback back in the 90's. Is the Camelot 1 still as large?

Old 05-27-2023, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
Yeah. Putt Putt Golf and Games. I talked to the owners son quite often.. The place closed in 97 or so as I recall. Both he and I were Phillies fans, and I remember us sitting there watching the Phils clinch the East in '93.

Funny thing I was told.. Since many Bob Jones students would go there on dates.. There were apparently Bob Jones spies all around the place, making sure the students weren't kissing or even holding hands, I think.

Do you recall the alcohol situation?

we got our tickets comped through Spartan Foods / Flagstar. I worked for one of the subsidiaries of it at the time.
That doesn’t surprise me at all about Bob Jones students. They did the same at the Red Lobster.

I have no recollection of the alcohol situation at Clemson.

Old 05-27-2023, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvlgal View Post
I loved Red Barn. I used to get a 4” Nuclear sub. It was about 2” of meat and cheese. Definitely not heart-healthy. The Red Barn moved to East Lee Rd near Watson Rd. where Pereira Bakery is now.

The steak place was Steak Out, which was a delivery or carry-out steak place. There was also one on Mauldin Rd that is now Popeye’s Auto Detailing. Steak Out was the only place to get any meal delivered besides pizza. It was pretty good food for a delivery meal. It was part of a chain but all of the SC locations closed years ago.
Steak Out, that was it. I remember the one on Mauldin Road too. I didn’t realize that it was part of a chain.

Old 05-27-2023, 02:26 PM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
Quote:
Steak Out, that was it. I remember the one on Mauldin Road too. I didn’t realize that it was part of a chain.
Steak Out was really good! I ordered from them a lot. I remember they were great at packing the utensils and condiments you needed in your delivery too. Looks like there are some locations still in Georgia and Alabama.

https://steakout.com/

Old 05-28-2023, 09:51 AM

792 posts, read 496,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Labonte18 View Post
...Do you recall the alcohol situation?
I was attending Clemson that year. I remember there was a massive amount of handwringing around the alcohol situation. I couldn't remember what the outcome was, but according to this article

https://www.tampabay.com/archive/199...en-t-the-same/

they did sell it at Panthers games.
Quote:
The sale of alcohol is prohibited on Sunday in Clemson, and all businesses must remain closed until noon. But the Panthers and the university got a waiver to sell beer in the stadium.

Old 05-28-2023, 08:45 PM

121 posts, read 93,888 times
We drank beer in Death Valley that year, but I distinctly remember our Methodist pastor emploring the congregation to fervently complain to the county and city governments what any beer on Sunday was a substantial risk to area families. Of course these same minsters who utterly ignored the fate of unwanted, unborn children.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area