Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2012, 03:45 AM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times

Advertisements

wait wait! I dont think anybody mentioned this but who remembers the DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATRE that used to be right behind Parkers Mill ... off of Augusta Road ( i think it is ).... ? ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 03:52 AM

557 posts, read 864,925 times
The Shriner's Hospital that used to be at the corner of Pleasantburg and Rutherford Road that is now a nursing home called Shepards Care.

Greenville General Hospital off Dunbar St. that is residental and office mixed use.

Allen Bennett Hospital in Greer on Wade Hampton Blvd. that is currently sitting empty...

Old 05-08-2012, 01:43 PM

285 posts, read 457,399 times
Downtown early to mid-90s: The days of Dempseys, Hennis, and 858. Crescent City Grill was housed in the Lemongrass structure and had the Voodoo Lounge in the bottom. Dixie Tavern was the Downtown Brewing company (a little ahead of its time). Maureens had great lunch. I really, really miss Tahoe South.

Old 05-08-2012, 06:26 PM

179 posts, read 462,609 times
I remember....

The old Zaxby's mansion on Laurens Rd.
Playing arcade games at both McAlister Square and at the Namco arcade in Haywood Mall.
Spaghetti Warehouse on East Broad St.
Umbro
When Greenville Tech was a landfill. (well, that was slightly before my time, but I've heard the stories)
Going out to see movies at the Bijou Theaters on Wade Hampton, the UA Theater and the Dollar Theater on Haywood, and the (Regal?) Cinema on Pelham Rd. Hollywood 20 killed all three of those in one fell swoop.
When Horizon Music was on South Pleasantburg
When Bertolo's Pizza was in Greenville Mall.

Old 05-08-2012, 07:01 PM

1,845 posts, read 2,764,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amator View Post
Spaghetti Warehouse on East Broad St.
A fantastic restaurant in a great location. I was very sad when that one closed.

Tomato Rumba - another great place!

Old 05-08-2012, 07:57 PM

155 posts, read 266,122 times
Tropical Island - Greer, Taylors
Sky City - Greer
Characters - Greenville
Bijou Cinema - Taylors

Old 05-09-2012, 06:13 AM

4,601 posts, read 6,018,666 times
[quote=ultraviolet;24197385]

The JB White at Greenville mall seemed smaller than the one at McAllister Square, but I liked it better - far better than the Parisian that came at Greenville Mall after the renovation. I remember playing at the Greenville Mall with the middle school band, pre-renovation.

JBWhite was never at Mcallister Square. Mcallister was anchored by Belk, Iveys and Meyers-Arnold(a local department store). Meyers Arnold was bought by Uptons(never understood why because Uptons was a much cheaper store). Iveys became Dillards for a short while until it closed and relocated to Haywood. Belk at Mcallister eventually closed. I remember the Morrisons at McAllister and Greenville Malls and the Eckerds at center court of Mcallister with the lunch counter.

Greenville Mall opened in the late 70s with just JBWhite and Montgomery Ward as anchors. That mall was full in the first few years of its life and had Greenvilles first Gap store. It had no food court as malls didn't at that time. Restaurants had their own seating. Some places I remember are Chik-fil-a;Burger King; Two guys pizza (yes the same that moved to simpsonville),Morrisons cafeteria, the Plitt cinema inside the mall with 2 or 3 screens (can't remember how many but no 20 screen cinemas in the late 70s and 80s and McCrory five and dime at Greenville Mall.

Speaking of Meyers Arnold above the food court at Haywood used to be a small Meyers-Arnold dept. store when Haywood first opened.

Old 05-09-2012, 07:05 AM

186 posts, read 358,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
wait wait! I dont think anybody mentioned this but who remembers the DRIVE IN MOVIE THEATRE that used to be right behind Parkers Mill ... off of Augusta Road ( i think it is ).... ? ?
Don't forget the Drive In on Laurens heading into Mauldin.

Anyone remember (yes, you all do...) when Pelham and Haywood was a 3-way stop with no lights?
When Roper Mtn ended at Woodruff road, and a real-by-golly butcher shop was at that intersection?
How about Roses on East North, which became the first area WalMart?
Speaking of East North, how about "Family Mart" and when that strip-mall section beside it had some life with Scoopers, Trammps (sic), and Tookie's (I think?) records?
Anyone see the midnight showings of "Rocky Horror" at Bell Tower theater? (Someone already mentioned the movie-house death toll, surprising. Bijou, Pelham Regal, Movies-by-the-Mall, Camelot [welcome back], that big one behind Papa's An Beer, Astro, Fox, etc.)
How about - treading dangerous water here - when the Stone Castle was a movie house for indie films first, then later (from what I hear), xxx films, then finally becoming a, uhm, "men's" bar?
Finally, let us not forget the white, penitentary-looking Met Life building on Pelham at 85. In the middle of no-where, with nothing but forest all around and across from it. It's a Walmart and a CVS now.
Zheesh this place is getting old. Good thing WE ALL aren't!

Old 05-10-2012, 08:37 AM

285 posts, read 457,399 times
[quote=vistatiger;24222490]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ultraviolet View Post

The JB White at Greenville mall seemed smaller than the one at McAllister Square, but I liked it better - far better than the Parisian that came at Greenville Mall after the renovation. I remember playing at the Greenville Mall with the middle school band, pre-renovation.

JBWhite was never at Mcallister Square. Mcallister was anchored by Belk, Iveys and Meyers-Arnold(a local department store). Meyers Arnold was bought by Uptons(never understood why because Uptons was a much cheaper store). Iveys became Dillards for a short while until it closed and relocated to Haywood. Belk at Mcallister eventually closed. I remember the Morrisons at McAllister and Greenville Malls and the Eckerds at center court of Mcallister with the lunch counter.

Greenville Mall opened in the late 70s with just JBWhite and Montgomery Ward as anchors. That mall was full in the first few years of its life and had Greenvilles first Gap store. It had no food court as malls didn't at that time. Restaurants had their own seating. Some places I remember are Chik-fil-a;Burger King; Two guys pizza (yes the same that moved to simpsonville),Morrisons cafeteria, the Plitt cinema inside the mall with 2 or 3 screens (can't remember how many but no 20 screen cinemas in the late 70s and 80s and McCrory five and dime at Greenville Mall.

Speaking of Meyers Arnold above the food court at Haywood used to be a small Meyers-Arnold dept. store when Haywood first opened.
Ah the old Greenville Mall. I remember KB Toys, but there was also a really cool Toy/Hobby shop across from the Chik-fil-A. Cannot for the life of me remember the name...

Forgot all about the Cinema, was right across from the Arcade. A pet store was right outside Montgomery Ward and the The Golden Fleece restaurant was on the JB White end. Ah the memories of that place.

Old 05-13-2012, 09:38 PM

609 posts, read 1,620,032 times
wow. TROPICAL ISLAND , i remember that place. I Loved it as a kid...

And KB Toys haha... I remember that store too.

Who remembers 'Critter Castle' in mauldin?

I remember when i used to goto "Osh Gosh" Kids clothing factory right over the bridge in mauldin going into simpsonville. I used to run around in there when my mom would be finding my clothing LOL i remember running under the clothing.. i was Tiny! Far ways from my 6'Foot days
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area