Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2012, 11:13 AM

609 posts, read 1,613,979 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HailVictory View Post
Service Merchandise, I do believe, was actually on Pleasantburg, across from the current Wendy's near East North.
And just to fry your noodle, somewhat across the street used to be a restaurant called "Sambo's."
Anyone remeber the Dutch Pantry on Laurens? Fond memories of washing many a plate there during high school...

No i think they are right. Service Merchandise was on Laurens at first then turned into Circuit city or something. Isn't that right?

I Def remember Phar-mor ... that was on hayward Road right? ? That was a HUGE store and i used to go there and buy music as a small kid. I particuarly remember being a Kriss Kross fan at that point
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 01:28 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,740,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sojones View Post
No i think they are right. Service Merchandise was on Laurens at first then turned into Circuit city or something. Isn't that right?
Way back, there was a Service Merchandise in the Richmond Center (S Pleasantburg across from Greenville Tech in the just-closed Bi-lo shopping center). Then it moved to Laurens Rd where the Super Bi-Lo is now located in Verdae Market.

Old 05-15-2012, 01:42 PM

186 posts, read 356,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
Way back, there was a Service Merchandise in the Richmond Center (S Pleasantburg across from Greenville Tech in the just-closed Bi-lo shopping center). Then it moved to Laurens Rd where the Super Bi-Lo is now located in Verdae Market.
Son-of-a-gun, yep, you're right. Blonde moment. I confused Service Merch with a place called "Alexanders" on Pleasantburg.

How could I forget Service Merch over off Verdea when they were going under - they had about half the store boarded off for about a year and it was kind of creepy?!

Old 05-15-2012, 02:47 PM

4,558 posts, read 5,907,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lswrld67 View Post
I remember when "Como's: on Augusta Rd was still on the Wall in the same parking lot .

Chevy's at Haywood Mall and My Fav. Continental Cafe and Deli at the Haywod Mall
I had forgotten about Continental Cafe at Haywood. They had a location on Woodruff too where Arizona is now. I remember Chevys and the Del Taco near it inside of Haywood. I also remember Bennigans and Swensens Ice Cream being across from Haywood Mall where that mexican chain is now. Does anyone remember the restaurant chain on Congaree that had an old school house theme? It was mc something (not Mcdonalds). The building has been vacant for years.

Old 05-15-2012, 02:54 PM

1,841 posts, read 2,740,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Does anyone remember the restaurant chain on Congaree that had an old school house theme? It was mc something (not Mcdonalds). The building has been vacant for years.
McGuffy's - a great place back in the day, complete with McGuffy Reader themed menus!

Old 05-15-2012, 03:01 PM

[quote=mattreddy;24241290]
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post

Ah the old Greenville Mall. I remember KB Toys, but there was also a really cool Toy/Hobby shop across from the Chik-fil-A. Cannot for the life of me remember the name...

Forgot all about the Cinema, was right across from the Arcade. A pet store was right outside Montgomery Ward and the The Golden Fleece restaurant was on the JB White end. Ah the memories of that place.

I miss that old Greenville Mall with the dark wood vaulted ceilings and the sunken conversation pits. It was dark at night in the mall because it was lit by pole lamps and not much overhead lighting. It really had a mountain lodge kinda look to it and fit the area perfectly. Funny how that look is back in. They painted everything white and teal in the 90's renovation but that old woodsy Greenville Mall would be close to being back in style if it existed today. Yet we have the mess that is now Magnolia Park......

Old 05-15-2012, 04:03 PM

548 posts, read 1,973,747 times
Quote:
Service Merchandise, I do believe, was actually on Pleasantburg, across from the current Wendy's near East North.
And just to fry your noodle, somewhat across the street used to be a restaurant called "Sambo's."
Anyone remeber the Dutch Pantry on Laurens? Fond memories of washing many a plate there during high school...

Service Merchandise might have at one time been there but It was on Lauren's Road where the Bi-Lo is now across from the car dealerships back in 91.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:05 PM

5,516 posts, read 15,283,790 times
Quote:
That was the Brendle's store location.

Old 05-15-2012, 05:11 PM

5,516 posts, read 15,283,790 times
Remember the Po' Folks restaurant chain? Other cheap places in town during the eighties included the Duff's buffet on Laurens and The Hungry Fisherman near Pelham and I-85.

Old 05-15-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by janrey View Post
Service Merchandise might have at one time been there but It was on Lauren's Road where the Bi-Lo is now across from the car dealerships back in 91.
That was the Brendle's store location.[/quote]
[quote=Skyliner;24317539

This is correct. Brendles was near East North and Pleasantburg and Service Merchandise was alone where the Richmond plaza is today across from Greenville Tech. Service Merchandise moved to Verdae in 88 or 89 when that plaza was built. Later on Brendles opened a store on Congaree next to Holiday Inn. Eventually Brendles closed the Pleasantburg and Congaree stores and opened a store across from Haywood Mall. After Brendles closed that Haywood store (behind Jasons Deli) Circuit City moved in to that location.

Regarding both Pleasantburg stores:
Brendles was originally named Alexanders.
Service Merchandise was originally Sam Solomon before its merger with SM
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area