Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 06:45 PM

73 posts, read 178,172 times

Advertisements

I know the zoo was brought up in the amusement park discussion. Thought ya'll might be interested in this public hearing to learn more about the future of the zoo.

The Greenville Zoo, Greenville, SC
Master Plan Meeting Set for May 8 : The City will host a public meeting at 6 pm Tuesday, May 8 at the Kroc Center, 424 Westfield Street, Greenville. The session will be led by Seattle-based PJA Architects + Landscape Architects, a leading company in zoo and botanical garden design and interpretive, entertainment and interior work, to discuss a consensus plan for the future of the Greenville Zoo. At this interactive meeting, attendees will have an opportunity to learn more about the plan, ask questions and offer input. The meeting is the third of three public sessions that helped shape the Greenville Zoo's Master Plan for the next 15 to 20 years. The master planning committee, along with PJA Architects + Landscape Architects, has used these past meetings, public comments, and online zoo surveys to develop this consensus plan. Past public meetings were held on January 18 and March 6, 2012.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2012, 04:07 AM

557 posts, read 864,925 times
Great info. My family and I love the zoo. Look forward to the new zoo. It will be a great home for the animals and a great place to visit for many years to come. And on a side note I am not paid or work for the zoo. Thank you.

Old 05-08-2012, 10:39 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,099,690 times
Wanted to make it down there, but totally forgot. My suggestion has been to relocate it to County Square; incorporates it into a downtown attraction, plus it would be really nice with that side street entrance (don't know the name of the road) where there's a pretty stone entrance to Falls Park and the Governors School; adding the Zoo to that stone entrance would be attractive. Any updates on the meeting?

Old 05-09-2012, 11:06 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Wanted to make it down there, but totally forgot. My suggestion has to relocate it to County Square; incorporates it into a downtown attraction, plus it would be really nice with that side street entrance (don't know the name of the road) where there's a pretty stone entrance to Falls Park and the Governors School; adding the Zoo to that stone entrance would be attractive. Any updates on the meeting?
That would be really amazing if they could do that. A great location for the zoo with direct access to downtown and Falls Park. The road you are thinking of is University Street.

Old 05-23-2012, 08:02 AM

73 posts, read 178,172 times
Update...

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...NEWS/305230019

Old 05-23-2012, 09:16 AM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
While I am disappointed over the likely elephant removal as they are my favorite animal, I can definitely understand their reasoning with the size and cost constraints that would be needed for a new exhibit.

The three story tropical rainforest with aquarium sounds awesome. I love the one at the Omaha Henry Doorly Zoo. To this day, it is the most elaborate/coolest exhibit I have ever seen from any zoo in the country and I have been to my fair share of zoos.

Old 05-23-2012, 10:18 AM

21,023 posts, read 27,249,611 times
Elephant removal is not a popular idea being well received with zoo patrons. I like to see the zoo be able to keep elephants maximizing the space they have. Hopefully elephants can stay awhile longer.

Old 05-23-2012, 11:20 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
The Greenville Zoo really suffers from a lack of space. I would prefer to see them either expand within that area (don't know how that would be possible, though) or move to a new location with more space. With only 14 acres it is going to feel small even if it is designed well.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:04 PM

1,077 posts, read 1,650,413 times
They really should just find a larger location somewhere downtown. Elephants are a stable of zoos and the Greenville Zoo should have them. They will have to move eventually anyway and their land would be ripe for development or an extension of the park.

Old 05-23-2012, 12:26 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,791,036 times
Personally, I would love to see the zoo relocate to a site either next to or in the large park slated near the Kroc Center.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area