U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2012, 08:08 PM

3,176 posts, read 4,030,877 times

Advertisements

Here are some pics I recently took of Lake Keowee and Lake Jocassee (Devil's Fork area)....and yes, the water is warm. It was great!

Lake Jocassee (Devil's Fork)
:

Lake Keowee area (I love all the gorgeous houses):

Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2012, 07:42 AM

12,282 posts, read 28,644,908 times
You rock Awesome pics!

Old 05-15-2012, 08:00 AM

1,713 posts, read 2,407,593 times
looks like you found a few of that 1%

Old 05-15-2012, 08:17 AM

51 posts, read 60,388 times
Great pics!

It's a little depressing to see how low the water is in some areas.

What is the reason for this? Drought? Damming? Other?

Old 05-15-2012, 08:26 AM

Location: near downtown Greenville, SC (viewing the sunset vicariously at Lido Beach)
1,960 posts, read 4,033,199 times
Fantastic pics! I used to live in a small subdivision on Lake Keowee (Saxony Forest) - miss those lakes!

As for the water level, yes it does look quite low - I do know that Duke Power will lower lake levels at certain times of the year - also, NW SC is under a severe drought according to the US Drought Monitor website.

Old 05-15-2012, 10:56 PM

592 posts, read 1,963,006 times
Awesome pictures! Thank you!

I wondered about the water levels as well. One of my main reservations about Norris Lake and Cherokee Lake in East TN was that TVA lowers the levels of the lake SO much that I think living and having a dock on either of them would be a real pain. Hoping that this is a rare occasion for Keowee.

I understand a winter draw down of 5-10 feet in anticipation of spring for flood control, but much more would not be good.

Again, thanks for the pics. Would love many more!

Old 05-16-2012, 05:39 PM

14 posts, read 49,017 times
Keowee manages to maintain lake level much better than Jocasee or Hartwell.

Water from Keowee is used to cool the nuclear reactors, so if we are in a drought they will let more water out of Jocassee and stop letting water out of Keowee to maintain a certain level.

As a result, Hartwell won't have any water coming in, and they may continue to pump out depending on the circumstances.

Old 05-16-2012, 09:48 PM

5,473 posts, read 14,163,548 times
They are pumping out of Hartwell and Jocassee because the drought is actually much worse downstream (Augusta and further south). The SRS area requires a minimum amount of flow year-round. Fortunately Jocassee is very deep (350 feet at full pool).

Old 05-17-2012, 07:51 AM

1,121 posts, read 2,618,410 times
Thank you for sharing these. Please keep them coming!!!! Great treat for a "serenity break".

Old 05-17-2012, 08:27 AM

78 posts, read 230,274 times
Great pictures, information, and timing! I’m planning a sightseeing trip up to this area very soon. I've only been over the northern end of Lake Keowee on Highway 11. I'm planning a day trip to visit Keowee Toxaway State Park, Devils Fork State Park, Bad Creek, and Whitewater Falls (in NC). I’m hoping to snap a few nice pictures of my own (none from the water unfortunately).

I’ve been looking at the SC State Parks website and I’m not sure how much there is to see at these two parks. It looks like their main focus is on boating and camping. I did see a picture of a small waterfall at Keowee Toxaway but haven’t found any specific info on it yet. I know there are several hiking options in and around both parks but I'll have to keep them short on this trip, since I’m planning to cover a lot in one day. Looks like some nice sightseeing opportunities at Bad Creek and Upper Whitewater Falls (in NC) looks very scenic with very easy access.

Are there any other nice sightseeing opportunities (with easy & quick access) in this specific area (northwestern Oconee county or just north in NC)? I was considering trying to stretch this trip to include either the town of Highlands, NC or Gorges State Park in NC or heading back south to Spoonauger Falls. I would love to hear anyone’s thoughts, suggestions, or experiences regarding the best sightseeing and photo opportunity spots in particular area. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area