Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-17-2012, 11:52 PM

3 posts, read 3,411 times

Advertisements

My wife and I are looking into maybe moving to South Carolina from Memphis. I will be probably working out of Greer. We have never visited the area before but seem to have great potential for us. We love the outdoors (camping, fishing), so being that close to the water and mountains sounds awesome.

I have done some research on-line but it’s hard to really get a good idea of the best areas to live. We have looked at Greenville and Simpsonville but that’s about it. Of course with small children, good schools and crime free areas are a must. We would like to maybe try to fing a place out in the country but close to civilazation but a subdivision with comfortable lots would be ok.

I would appreciate any suggestions regarding the sorrounding areas. We are planning a trip next weekend and will like to concentrate our effords on the best areas. Thank you in advance!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2012, 04:01 AM

192 posts, read 429,116 times
If you'll be working in Greer, I suggest you look at living near there. No one likes to waste time commuting, right? I live in Greer and it's about 40 minutes to Simpsonville (depending on which part of S'ville, of course).

No children in my house, so I'll have to defer to others to give you school recommendations.

We live in a subdivision in the Blue Ridge area of Greer. Just far enough out in the country, but it only takes us about 5 minutes to get to Wade Hampton Blvd which has quite a bit of shopping, restaurants, etc.

Hope you enjoy your visit! Have fun exploring the Upstate!

Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM

807 posts, read 1,782,829 times
You may want to check the Duncan & Lyman area also. I don't have kids in school but am told that District 5 or 6 is good. Greer has done a lot with their downtown & the surrounding areas seem to be up and coming.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:37 PM

29 posts, read 119,012 times
We live in the Five Forks area. Our subdivision is in a great spot because you have access to highways that take you to many of the little towns around. We live near highway 101 and Woodruff road if you wanted to look those streets up on a map online. Highway 417 is also close. It would depend on where your job in Greer would be located though. It takes us 10 minutes to get to Simpsonville, 15 minutes to get to the heart of Woodruff road in Greenville, 20 minutes to Duncan, 10 minutes to Woodruff, and probably 20-25 minutes to get to downtown Greer. We are sort of rural-the closest restaurants/gas stations/grocery stores are about 5 minutes away , but there are many subdivisions around us and they are closer to the above mentioned. I have a small child not in school yet, but our neighbors really like the schools. Our elementary is Randolph Gordon, our middle school is Hillcrest, and our high school is Mauldin. I think you will know what you like when you drive to the downtown's of the Greer and Simpsonville. You will get a good feel driving around the area. Where you end up will depend on you and your families needs. What is at the top of the list and the bottom? Good luck, have a safe trip this weekend.

Old 06-18-2012, 02:45 PM

2,309 posts, read 3,844,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlbarth View Post
If you'll be working in Greer, I suggest you look at living near there. No one likes to waste time commuting, right? I live in Greer and it's about 40 minutes to Simpsonville (depending on which part of S'ville, of course).

No children in my house, so I'll have to defer to others to give you school recommendations.

We live in a subdivision in the Blue Ridge area of Greer. Just far enough out in the country, but it only takes us about 5 minutes to get to Wade Hampton Blvd which has quite a bit of shopping, restaurants, etc.

Hope you enjoy your visit! Have fun exploring the Upstate!

40 minutes is the extreme mind you with horrible traffic. if you live in the fork shoals vicinity of simpsonville (you know all the way down Fairview road) then getting up to the Blue Ridge area of Greer might be 40 minutes. I live near 385 in S'ville and use to do yard work for a woman who lived in the Blue Ridge area and it never took me more than 30 to get up that way.

Old 06-18-2012, 03:06 PM

915 posts, read 2,422,055 times
Yes, it is very important to keep in mind that Greer and Simpsonville may look far apart on a map, but both areas (in terms of mailing addresses) are shaped like kidneys. Ultimately, it really depends on where in Greer you'll be working.

I live in the Five Forks area of Simpsonville (29681) and my parents live in the Pelham Road area of Greer (29650), and it rarely takes me more than 12 minutes to get to their house. In fact, I can cross the line to Greer mailing addresses (29651) in about 2 minutes from my house.

Your criteria will ultimately determine your best place to live. You will find many more established subdivisions in the Greer area, and a higher concentration of new construction in the Simpsonville area. Both of those statements are pretty generalized though, since you can still find established subdivisions in Simpsonville and new construction in Greer.

Old 06-19-2012, 09:02 PM

Thank you all for the information. We really appreciate it. I will be working out of the airport in Greer. A half an hour commute wouldnt be bad if I can count on good schools and neighborhood. I mentioned Simpsonville because we were after the small town atmosphere but I saw some pics on the net from Greenville and it looked like a cool city. We would love to be able to walk downtown and eat / shop. I would like to be close enough to the camping and rivers or lakes for fishing. Keep the comments coming, please!

Thank you

Old 06-19-2012, 09:21 PM

57 posts, read 141,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbass3 View Post
Thank you all for the information. We really appreciate it. I will be working out of the airport in Greer. A half an hour commute wouldnt be bad if I can count on good schools and neighborhood. I mentioned Simpsonville because we were after the small town atmosphere but I saw some pics on the net from Greenville and it looked like a cool city. We would love to be able to walk downtown and eat / shop. I would like to be close enough to the camping and rivers or lakes for fishing. Keep the comments coming, please!

Thank you
Ah! Ha! you work for FedEx.

Old 06-19-2012, 10:01 PM

yes, that obvious! I figured I would find someone here from Uncle Fred's country club!!

Old 06-19-2012, 10:11 PM

6,896 posts, read 22,507,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingbass3 View Post
yes, that obvious! I figured I would find someone here from Uncle Fred's country club!!
You should be getting that small town feel now! Greenville may have the largest population in the area but it is still small. If I were you I'd try to settle in Greer because it is so close to the airport. 10 minute commutes are the best!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area