U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 06:09 PM

14,267 posts, read 17,411,255 times

Advertisements

I am sorry if this has already been answered in the past, but I can't find a thread on this subject. Can someone please recommend a place to stay for a week or 2? I have searched for a cabin or B&B but they're all over $100 a night. I would even stay for a month, but I just need temporary housing while I look for a job and a house. I've been looking at the ads on Craig's List.

How do most people here relocate? I assume the majority of folks already have a job, but I would simply pack up my car and drive to SC from FL to start all over again. Maybe I sound crazy, but I just want to do it as soon as possible. I had planned to pay cash for a small home, but it probably would make more sense to rent for at least a few months to secure a good job and make sure I am happy living there.

I am very upset right now. I've been renting this duplex for many years and the new owner is telling me I can't use my last month's rent or my security deposit for the Oct rent. He insists the former owner never transferred the money to him. How am I going to fight this in court when I'm 800 miles away? I know if I pay my rent I'll never see that security deposit. Plus, I already paid the last month's rent! This is why I never want to rent again. So many investors are crooks. After more than a decade of never being late even once, I might lose this good reference. I hope if I do rent an apartment my credit score and many years of electric, phone, cable, internet, and water/sewer bills (always paid on time) will be enough proof that I am a responsible tenant.

Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2007, 06:39 PM

169 posts, read 534,751 times
Hi Nancy, we have also been looking into moving to Greenville (see posts WAZEAZ) anyway, my husband found Auston Woods Apartments in Easley, SC and it may work for you. If you look on yahoo, go to the real estate section and then click on apartments and it's right there. We have no other info, but maybe some of the other folks on the forum can fill us in on the specifics. It looked good to us, as we don't know how we are going to move an entire house and find a new house in 2 months. We also will have a 2 year old granddaughter with us. Good Luck!

Old 09-27-2007, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WAZEAZ View Post
Hi Nancy, we have also been looking into moving to Greenville (see posts WAZEAZ) anyway, my husband found Auston Woods Apartments in Easley, SC and it may work for you. If you look on yahoo, go to the real estate section and then click on apartments and it's right there. We have no other info, but maybe some of the other folks on the forum can fill us in on the specifics. It looked good to us, as we don't know how we are going to move an entire house and find a new house in 2 months. We also will have a 2 year old granddaughter with us. Good Luck!
Thanks! I thought I had at least a month to sell my furniture and look around, but now my current landlord hit me in the face with this when I gave 30 days notice. So I guess I need to pay my Oct rent and spend the month looking. I didn't mean to get too personal. I'm just in shock, since it's like losing 2 months rent.

I wish you a lot of luck. I know it must be a little stressful for you. At least I only have me to worry about. I appreciate your response. I'll check out those apartments.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:56 AM

201 posts, read 369,563 times
Hey Nancy when my home in GA sells I'm doing the same as you. I also plan to purchase a small home outright and have thought about temp housing but I have 2 German Shepherds so that's gonna be tough...job or not I'm heading there. Crazy to do?...not to me....dealing with the Atlanta traffic is.

Old 09-28-2007, 03:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsfan View Post
Hey Nancy when my home in GA sells I'm doing the same as you. I also plan to purchase a small home outright and have thought about temp housing but I have 2 German Shepherds so that's gonna be tough...job or not I'm heading there. Crazy to do?...not to me....dealing with the Atlanta traffic is.
Nice to know someone else is just as crazy as I am.

Seriously, I've blown so much of my savings sitting in limbo for so long saying "I better wait." That said, maybe I'll also have trouble making a good living in Greenville. I just think a change would be good for me. Those ice storms I keep reading about scare me a bit which is why I keep thinking "maybe Raleigh" but Greenville looks so much prettier. Is there a place I can move where it's always 75 during the day and 55 at night? LOL

There is only one reason I would rent and that is because I don't have nearly enough to retire, and if I don't want to be stuck in any one area, I need to live in a central location. That's why I think Taylors or Greer (or maybe Lyman or Duncan) would be a good area to look for a home after reading the posts on this board and looking at maps.

I probably wasn't too clear in my first post here. I am wondering if there is a place a can stay for just a week that's safe, clean and reasonably priced. I was searching online and found a guest house in Pickens advertised as "on top of a mountain" for $450 a week. That's a lot of money, but way below what a Hampton Inn will cost me. I'm wondering if Oct is a busy month because of the fall colors. I remember when I lived in NH a lot of people traveled to the White Mountains to look at the autumn foliage.

Old 10-02-2007, 03:30 PM

81 posts, read 312,175 times
Go to the main page for Greenville/Spartanburg then go to search forum and put in rentals a page comes up with previously posted topics. Here is a link to one that I have been using and have referred others to go to. Hope this helps!
Rentals??

Old 10-02-2007, 05:06 PM

Thank you. I already found an apartment complex in Taylors that will rent a 1 or 2 bedroom for 3 months, but I am talking about a place for a week or 2 when I'm visiting Greenville. I'll look through the links to see if there's anything like a B&B. I just didn't want to stay in a cheap motel.

Once someone told me to use "couch surfing" which is a site online where people exchange messages and make plans to stay at each other's homes, but I don't think it's for me. Anyone every heard of it?

Old 10-03-2007, 07:32 AM

548 posts, read 1,879,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Thank you. I already found an apartment complex in Taylors that will rent a 1 or 2 bedroom for 3 months, but I am talking about a place for a week or 2 when I'm visiting Greenville. I'll look through the links to see if there's anything like a B&B. I just didn't want to stay in a cheap motel.

Once someone told me to use "couch surfing" which is a site online where people exchange messages and make plans to stay at each other's homes, but I don't think it's for me. Anyone every heard of it?

There are some B&B's around but you might find them expensive (over $150/night). There are some extended stay hotels too in good areas. For example Extended Stay
America has rooms for about $50 in Spartanburg and $62 in Greenville. I can't tell you whether or not the area in Spartanburg is nice but the one in Greenville is in a good area near restaurants, grocery and the hi-way. This is the online rate so if you call you might be able to work out something even cheaper.

Old 04-01-2008, 09:25 PM

4 posts, read 10,198 times
Default Hotels for long stays

The Residence Inn by Marriott is built for extended travelers, The rooms are equipped with cookware and settings for four people. The rates are based on lenght of stay, if your planing on two weeks or two months its great when relocating or visiting Greenville. Its on Pelham Road and the # is 864-627-0001.

Old 04-02-2008, 06:46 AM

99 posts, read 304,610 times
Default short term stay

we stayed at crestmont at thornblade for a month, and then had another family member stay for 3 weeks, they are furnished, with washer dryer,and pet friendly they are located in greenville on pelham rd, beside michelin HNA and two marriotts, subway, walgreens,and dunkin donut, next door, all you could need. ha ha. good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area