Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2012, 12:48 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,400,244 times

Advertisements

I took a job down here (I'm from Ohio) a little over a year ago. Before making the decision, I tried to get some honest perspective on what things were like in Greenville and surrounding areas. I was chastised for asking about things like religion and politics.

Well, the job did not work out (good or bad depending on perspective), and I am heading back to Ohio.

With that, I would like to give MY view on the area to anyone considering a move. I would have appreciated this information when I was making MY decision.

First off, you'll love the weather. I am not going to be happy going back to snow.

Now comes the part where it depends on how you view things. If you are particularly religious (Christian), get most of your entertainment from family gatherings, and have a politically conservative view on things, you will be very happy living here. Concerning religion, I was amazed at the plethora of religious statements on everything from oil change store marquees to semi-trucks. Concerning politics, the newspapers (both Greenville and Spartanburg) are extremely right leaning.

If college sports are your thing, you may also find yourself liking the area as well. (Greenville also DOES have a very nice pseudo-Fenway minor league ballpark.)

As a non-religious, single, liberal male, who enjoys the arts, hiking, bookstores, music stores, and museums, I found myself feeling both out of place and bored. The only museum worth mentioning is the Greenville Art Museum, which, for its small size and the fact it is primarily local artists, is very nice. However, you can only go to an art museum so many times.

Used bookstores are pretty much limited to one (Mr. K's), and music stores are limited to about four, none of which have a very wide or eclectic selection. Earshot has the rudest clerks I have ever met.

Hiking is available, if you want to drive to a state park....such as up to Paris Mountain. But local parks are more for softball, baseball, soccer and jungle gyms.....not for hiking.

I am impressed that a city of this size, especially one which is of a conservative bent, has TWO health food grocery stores (Earth Fare and Whole Foods), and I commend them for supporting that.

To conclude, if you fall into the first category of individuals I mentioned, I believe you will enjoy it here. Those who are happy here seem to be VERY happy here. For me, and anyone with a social/religious bent such as mine, I would do your homework before making the step. I wish I'd dug deeper.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 12:52 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,812,252 times
Two health food grocery stores? Did somebody forget about The Fresh Market and Trader Joe's?

Old 06-26-2012, 01:17 PM

684 posts, read 1,187,771 times
This place really needs a salad buffet ! Like Sweet Tomatoes, but with more fried chicken.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:22 PM

1,145 posts, read 2,876,130 times
Good luck, Jim. Yes, I agree, that social conservatives are the majority in this area. That is a fair statement. Although, those of us with a more socially liberal view tend to find each other eventually. Just like in most areas, you learn with whom you can and cannot discuss religion and politics. I enjoy intelligent and spirited discussions but you have to know with whom you are sparring before engaging in the discussion. I was born here and respect the regional culture even if I don't agree with much of it.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:33 PM

212 posts, read 423,651 times
I know a lot of really liberal, artsy, outdoorsy people here in Greenville. I guess the OP didn't meet any of them.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Two health food grocery stores? Did somebody forget about The Fresh Market and Trader Joe's?
I had actually forgotten about those two stores. While I like them, they tend to cater to a little different clientele. But you are absolutely correct.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinabean View Post
Good luck, Jim. Yes, I agree, that social conservatives are the majority in this area. That is a fair statement. Although, those of us with a more socially liberal view tend to find each other eventually. Just like in most areas, you learn with whom you can and cannot discuss religion and politics. I enjoy intelligent and spirited discussions but you have to know with whom you are sparring before engaging in the discussion. I was born here and respect the regional culture even if I don't agree with much of it.
Tina. Thank you for the good luck wishes. I am happy for all those who enjoy the area. It is just not for me. I prefer to be in an area where I am in the majority on values and views.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,298,337 times
I have hiked through the parks downtown for miles before. That being said, I much prefer to drive the 30 minute drive to the mountains and hike there since the scenery is so much better.

I've lived in a number of different towns of similar size and larger and none of them had more than 1 or 2 good used bookstores. Greenville used to have a number of independent music shops. Given that most people now buy music online, many of those went out of business. I think that is a worldwide trend not unique to Greenville.

I'm not particularly religious, don't go to many family gatherings, am not particularly conservative (long story but neither the Democraps or Republicants appeal to me), and I love it here.

I hope you enjoy your return to Ohio - sounds like you didn't give Greenville much of a chance - a year isn't much time.

Old 06-26-2012, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoOneSpecial View Post
I know a lot of really liberal, artsy, outdoorsy people here in Greenville. I guess the OP didn't meet any of them.
The ones I did meet (usually at Earth Fare) were much younger (I'm 54).

Old 06-26-2012, 02:05 PM

212 posts, read 423,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimdc58 View Post
The ones I did meet (usually at Earth Fare) were much younger (I'm 54).
Well, that is a very good point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area