Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

South Carolina: Greenville, violent crime, safe area, apartment guide, relocating.

Old 12-16-2007, 06:36 PM

1 posts, read 3,610 times

Advertisements

Ok, seen a lot of threads on here on security, but a lot if contradicting information. I am moving up in about a week and a half, and have been going through the apartment ads, and they all look pretty good at good prices. When you go to the reviews for the apartments, they are almost all saying crime issues, illegal aliens, drugs, etc. I thought I was just being unlucky with the ones I was looking at, but even the ones in Mauldin look that way.

Anyone have the scoop on a good apartment at a reasonable price?

- And -

What is the deal with the crime, will I be able to leave my Wrangler overnight and keep my wheels?

Thanks all!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2007, 09:13 AM

7 posts, read 46,270 times
What is the deal with the crime, will I be able to leave my Wrangler overnight and keep my wheels?

My son lives in an apartment building in Mauldin. When he complained about the illegal aliens living there, nothing happened. Later, when he went in to complain, they had hired a Hispanic for the front desk. Wonder if complaints are being handled?

As far as crime, of course, don't leave your vehicle unlocked, and don't leave valuables visible. I know of people who've been robbed because of these, uselessly.

I don't know about your wheels -- if they're mags, you're inviting theft, IMHO.

The deal with the crime is that we are a VERY high growth area, with people moving in from all over the country and the world. It's not the old south anymore. I was born in SC, and I hardly recognize the state I used to love.

No one knows their neighbors, and if they do, they may not like them! For instance, when I asked a shop lady how she liked the area, she said, "I really don't like it here, and I don't know why ... none of my neighbors are southern!" Most people move in and want to make it "like where they came from," and have no idea how rude they are to the locals. Example of the change: In ONE YEAR, we had 50,000 people move down from the state of New York to the state of SC. And that's just one year! Good luck!

The positives are: beautiful area with lots of good restaurants, good climate, easy access to mountains and beach. The "movers and shakers," while basically keeping the money for themselves, have still maneuvered the public money to some nice features. Great downtown, brand new baseball stadium, etc.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:33 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DixaLee View Post

My son lives in an apartment building in Mauldin. When he complained about the illegal aliens living there, nothing happened. Later, when he went in to complain, they had hired a Hispanic for the front desk. Wonder if complaints are being handled?

As far as crime, of course, don't leave your vehicle unlocked, and don't leave valuables visible. I know of people who've been robbed because of these, uselessly.

The deal with the crime is that we are a VERY high growth area, with people moving in from all over the country and the world. It's not the old south anymore. I was born in SC, and I hardly recognize the state I used to love.

No one knows their neighbors, and if they do, they may not like them! For instance, when I asked a shop lady how she liked the area, she said, "I really don't like it here, and I don't know why ... none of my neighbors are southern!" Most people move in and want to make it "like where they came from," and have no idea how rude they are to the locals. Example of the change: In ONE YEAR, we had 50,000 people move down from the state of New York to the state of SC. And that's just one year! Good luck!

The positives are: beautiful area with lots of good restaurants, good climate, easy access to mountains and beach. The "movers and shakers," while basically keeping the money for themselves, have still maneuvered the public money to some nice features. Great downtown, brand new baseball stadium, etc.
kind of a racist comment, why wouldn't the complaints be handled properly by a hispanic? I know all my neighbors, and like them, and they are all locals for many years, mosty of the people I meet are not from around here, granted, but I try not to change things and I hope others are the same, I love it here in greenville, its not for everyone, but damn, have some pride in your city!

Old 12-17-2007, 03:31 PM

75 posts, read 353,359 times
Greenville is not as bad as your bigger cities, but its bad enough to where if you live in an inner city apartment expect to hear gunshots and police sirens often. Depending on where you live of course because some neighborhoods are worse than others. Illegal aliens, i wouldnt really consider crime because they mostly keep to themselves. Drug dealing is common in some areas more than others. Thats gonna be expected but for the most part you wont see big groups of people standing on street corners until the early hours of the night.You do tend to have your armed robberies, arsons, car jackings, home invasions etc. but not extremley common thing. Having nice rims on your car is no problem because thats not what the jack boys(robbers) around here are lookin for. Just keep your car locked and you should be fine, and if you have an alarm then if they try to force their way in they should take off once the alarm goes off.

Old 12-17-2007, 03:42 PM

170 posts, read 878,533 times
Question 50,000 New Yorkers?

Quote:

Question? Where did you get your stats from? How do you know 50,000 New Yorkers moved to SC? Just curious.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

Old 12-18-2007, 11:32 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,938,206 times
Quote:

Your comment about the Hispanic employee is very prejudiced and judgmental. Many Hispanic immigrants feel the same way about illegals as those of us who were born here. Also, when someone is Hispanic, it doesn't mean he hasn't been living in America as long as you. For example, when many people see a Mexican person, they automatically think he just jumped over a wall when it's possible his parents and grandparents were born in the United States. This is exactly what happened in WWII when the Japanese Americans were made prisoners because of their ancestry.

Regarding cars, locking your vehicle and keeping packages hidden is just common sense wherever you live.

By the way, I'm curious too, but not about the 50,000 New Yorkers. How does your son know the people you mentioned are illegal? Believe me - I am not at all supporting amnesty for millions of illegals, but the family who was living next to me until recently spoke broken English, and they lived in that apartment for 2 years and I had no idea if they had green cards. It's just an opinion, but I'm guessing a person living here illegally with a job and a good place to live would probably try not to stir up trouble that would cause other residents to call the cops.

Last edited by justNancy; 12-18-2007 at 11:41 PM.. Reason: fix typo

Old 12-27-2007, 09:49 PM

2 posts, read 6,853 times
you should be just fine pelham rd east north st them to roads have the most apts places on them and as far as safe you will be just fine cops here live in apts to get free rent and also be the cop on the property

Old 01-01-2008, 10:20 AM

58 posts, read 165,458 times
Check out The Fairway Club on Villa Rd, Greenville. Very reasonable rates, convenient to shopping, hospitals, major highways. My elderly mom relocated there from the northeast 7 years ago and is not in harms way.

Old 01-01-2008, 08:54 PM

7 posts, read 46,270 times
Question? Where did you get your stats from? How do you know 50,000 New Yorkers moved to SC? Just curious.

Thanks,
Fallgirl

From an employee in the US Post Office.

Old 01-02-2008, 03:59 PM

69 posts, read 254,165 times
Question Fairway Club & Pelham Rd Apts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostman74 View Post
you should be just fine pelham rd east north st them to roads have the most apts places on them and as far as safe you will be just fine cops here live in apts to get free rent and also be the cop on the property
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcetta View Post
Check out The Fairway Club on Villa Rd, Greenville. Very reasonable rates, convenient to shopping, hospitals, major highways. My elderly mom relocated there from the northeast 7 years ago and is not in harms way.
Check out this link about robberies at Fairway Club & Pelham Rd apartments. Don't know if these are isolated cases or if there's a problem in that area.

2 Robberies Reported At Apartment Complex - Greenville News Story - WYFF Greenville (http://www.wyff4.com/news/14538475/detail.html - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area