Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2012, 05:42 PM

1 posts, read 2,149 times

Advertisements

We have been in the Greenville area now for 2 years and have yet to connect with anyone. We relocated here from Orlando, are not church goers, liberal-minded, and have a 6 year old daughter. I work on the road so office friendships are not possible. My wife is a stay at home Mom, so she is very limited as well. We are Agnostic so Church is out of the question.

Where else does anyone suggest that we connect with people. We joined a few groups on Meetup.com but we have yet to find like-minded couples.

Anyone out there that would want to hang out at the park, downtown, festivals etc... with a child around our daughters age?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2012, 05:53 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
what about doing some hobbies like bowling , pool , the gym places like that are great for meeting people . Maybe try meetup .com that website should tell you some of the things that are going on around your area . I know how you feel . That is why we are leaving this small do nothing town we are living in and moving to columbia in about 8 months . . But maybe your wife could volunteer at your daughters school as well that woudl be a great place to meet people as well . I hope I have helped .

Old 08-01-2012, 08:18 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
The parks are a pretty common meeting grounds, and the gym can be for the right people, but you could also consider some of the bars and clubs.

Old 08-01-2012, 05:00 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
what about doing some hobbies like bowling , pool , the gym places like that are great for meeting people . Maybe try meetup .com that website should tell you some of the things that are going on around your area . I know how you feel . That is why we are leaving this small do nothing town we are living in and moving to columbia in about 8 months . . But maybe your wife could volunteer at your daughters school as well that woudl be a great place to meet people as well . I hope I have helped .
Moving to COLUMBIA for more sophistication?? That's rich!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:42 PM

8 posts, read 16,892 times
We are also new to the area, we are from CT. We have two boys 6 and 10. Like you we are not big on the church thing and we are also trying to meet people. Maybe we could meet up!

Old 08-01-2012, 07:56 PM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
I've met most of my friends in our neighborhood or through work. Many of the latter, I've grown to think of as family.

Old 08-01-2012, 10:27 PM

5,015 posts, read 8,183,418 times
Meetup.com, definitely. If you're not finding the people you seek, start your own group.

Old 08-02-2012, 06:23 AM

684 posts, read 1,186,542 times
Anyone playing Diablo 3 on Sundays? Not sure there is a meetup group for that

But on topic, if work isn't an option, try joining an adult casual sports league or whatnot. Get some excercise and meet some people.

Old 08-08-2012, 02:32 PM

475 posts, read 900,708 times
Volunteer. You can choose to do what you like with those who also like what you enjoy. Second best way to meet people. I myself, couple the first and second by volunteering at church. Here's a current opportunity.
http://www.trtribune.com/index.php?o...ews&Itemid=316

Old 08-10-2012, 01:25 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
Volunteer. You can choose to do what you like with those who also like what you enjoy. Second best way to meet people. I myself, couple the first and second by volunteering at church. Here's a current opportunity.
Interactive community gardening website launched
That sounds like something I'd be interested in on the surface. Unfortunately it is part of Vision 2025 which is part of Agenda 21. Here's what a Clemson professor wrote about it. Vision 2025: Sustainable Development Comes to Greenville

This link explains it is part of the Vision 2025 http://greenvilleforward.com/

Too bad the gardens couldn't be started by the people in the community and not hired non-governmental organizers like Greenville Forward who are getting paid how much of our tax dollars to do this???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area