Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:06 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,330,780 times

Advertisements

When driving I-85, It's hard to deny the connectivity of these 3 counties. If one doesn't notice the county signs, they may not know when they've crossed into the next county; other than things get more urban when you get into the Greenville section. Add into the fact that Greenville's suburbs spills into both counties, then things are overlapping. I thought this would be something fun to discuss, not that it matters or would change anything locally. So, what are the chances of this changing back to the old designation? I don't know. These places no doubt are connected though. Happy Labor Day Weekend folks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 03:16 PM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
When driving I-85, It's hard to deny the connectivity of these 3 counties. If one doesn't notice the county signs, they may not know when they've crossed into the next county; other than things get more urban when you get into the Greenville section. Add into the fact that Greenville's suburbs spills into both counties, then things are overlapping. I thought this would be something fun to discuss, not that it matters or would change anything locally. So, what are the chances of this changing back to the old designation? I don't know. These places no doubt are connected though. Happy Labor Day Weekend folks!
I disagree; I don't think you really get a sense of it at all. One reason for this is the major commercial centers of Spartanburg and Anderson don't really have a presence along I-85, so there's much less development along the interstate in those two counties. You only really get a sense that there's a "there" there in Spartanburg County when you get to BMW and the airport, and by that time you might as well already be in Greenville County. And the only thing worth mentioning along I-85 in Anderson County is the Hilton Garden Inn. The connectivity of the counties is more palpable along local roads, not I-85 IMO.

If the criteria for commuting rates is unchanged, I'm not sure if they'll be one metro again or not. It would be possible if cross-commuting between Greenville and Spartanburg counties in particular jumped up; otherwise, Spartanburg County has enough jobs within its borders, already being home to the largest single jobs center of the region (which seems to keep expanding), to probably remain a separate MSA. Anderson County is probably more dependent on Greenville County for jobs so you could see Greenville and Anderson possibly becoming a single MSA first without Spartanburg.

Old 09-01-2012, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I disagree; I don't think you really get a sense of it at all. One reason for this is the major commercial centers of Spartanburg and Anderson don't really have a presence along I-85, so there's much less development along the interstate in those two counties. You only really get a sense that there's a "there" there in Spartanburg County when you get to BMW and the airport, and by that time you might as well already be in Greenville County. And the only thing worth mentioning along I-85 in Anderson County is the Hilton Garden Inn. The connectivity of the counties is more palpable along local roads, not I-85 IMO.

If the criteria for commuting rates is unchanged, I'm not sure if they'll be one metro again or not. It would be possible if cross-commuting between Greenville and Spartanburg counties in particular jumped up; otherwise, Spartanburg County has enough jobs within its borders, already being home to the largest single jobs center of the region (which seems to keep expanding), to probably remain a separate MSA. Anderson County is probably more dependent on Greenville County for jobs so you could see Greenville and Anderson possibly becoming a single MSA first without Spartanburg.
Ok, that's understandable. Not sure about Spartanburg having more jobs though, unless you are just saying that BMW employs more people than any single employer. There are lots of companies in Greenville in comparison. I thought Greenville Hospital Systems was the largest employer of the region, but I haven't checked lately though. So don't hold me to that.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:30 PM

81 posts, read 203,949 times
GHS is the largest with around 10,000 employees.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Ok, that's understandable. Not sure about Spartanburg having more jobs though, unless you are just saying that BMW employs more people than any single employer. There are lots of companies in Greenville in comparison. I thought Greenville Hospital Systems was the largest employer of the region, but I haven't checked lately though. So don't hold me to that.
I didn't say Spartanburg County had more jobs than Greenville, but that it's home to the largest single jobs center in the region (BMW). GHS is scattered across different campuses/locations.

Old 09-02-2012, 11:18 AM

Quote:
I didn't say Spartanburg County had more jobs than Greenville, but that it's home to the largest single jobs center in the region (BMW). GHS is scattered across different campuses/locations.
That's what I figured you were saying. Does it matter that GHS is scattered? It's still all in one county isn't it?

Old 09-02-2012, 11:55 AM

Quote:
That's what I figured you were saying. Does it matter that GHS is scattered? It's still all in one county isn't it?
You're somewhat missing that particular point, but nevertheless I think I made my overall argument clear.

Old 09-02-2012, 02:46 PM

Quote:
You're somewhat missing that particular point, but nevertheless I think I made my overall argument clear.
Maybe. What is it? We're arguing? Lol. I'm not. Glad you're adding and participating in this thread. I respect your posts.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:05 PM

No not arguing, just didn't want to get bogged down in a minor detail. Sorry if I came across like that.

Old 09-02-2012, 05:24 PM

Quote:
No not arguing, just didn't want to get bogged down in a minor detail. Sorry if I came across like that.
No problem brother. I think you mean BMW has the most employees on one single site. I'm inclined to agree with that. Sometimes it's difficult to read into the meaning of a post on here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area