U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-27-2012, 01:00 PM

3,936 posts, read 6,313,884 times

Advertisements

agreed on the relevant part. I have always viewed Community Colleges and Technical Colleges on the same level, just through different perspectives. For example, I always assumed Technical Colleges were more focused on developing people with technician type skills (mechanica, electrical, plumbing etc.) or drafting (CAD, 3D modeling) or basic programming etc. whereas I viewed Community Colleges as more focused on liberal arts or 2 year law-related degrees etc.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2012, 01:01 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,951,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
...since real world / field experience is worth 5x as much as what you'll learn in the classroom.
I do agree there, but given the school's current size & importance to the local economy, it just seems eventually becoming a 4-year college/university is a no-brainer. Would probably help it become an even more useful tool for business recuitment!

Old 09-27-2012, 02:56 PM

5,996 posts, read 6,665,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
Give me a screenshot of where it shows up on the Greenville Tech Library database search engines and I'll believe you. Until then I'll wait for something concrete.
Who are you that I should care if you believe me or not? Why would I make up something so stupid? You're accusing me of lying. When the announcement becomes official will you apologize? I think not.

Old 09-27-2012, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
No, it is not because I said so, but the fact nothing has been announced officially yet. If the name change will occur and soon, we have a heads up.
Let's say that a famous couple got married, but they kept it secret. Does that make it a rumor? You're confusing rumor with public announcement. Again, I was told this directly from someone who is on the comittee that decided this change. You're essentially accusing me of lying.Why? Why would I make up something so stupid?

Old 09-27-2012, 03:45 PM

5,499 posts, read 14,696,335 times
An appropriate compromise would be "Greenville Technical Community College," but I prefer the earlier ideas in this thread. "South Carolina Institute of Technology" would be very appropriate if the school expands into a true 4-year college.

Old 09-27-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
An appropriate compromise would be "Greenville Technical Community College," but I prefer the earlier ideas in this thread. "South Carolina Institute of Technology" would be very appropriate if the school expands into a true 4-year college.
Wow, that sounds classy. I like it.

Old 09-27-2012, 04:01 PM

130 posts, read 214,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Who are you that I should care if you believe me or not? Why would I make up something so stupid? You're accusing me of lying. When the announcement becomes official will you apologize? I think not.
Why are you taking this so personally? I don't know you, you don't know me. What you say has to be substantiated by something other than your words. For a rumor to be confirmed it has to be confirmed by multiple parties. I've only heard about this from you, nobody else. So right now it is only a rumor and you're right I won't apologize because I never called you a liar.

Old 09-27-2012, 05:12 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,784,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
"Community college" = "technical college" for all intents and purposes. I actually prefer the name change to community college, as most of the country refers to two-year colleges this way.

I agree that a move to a four year school is likely not too far in the future.
Maybe having a technical curriculum was too rigorous for the students and now they are having to add more liberal arts classes in "communications" or "general studies" or "sustainable development studies" where they can still attract people who what a "college degree" whether it is an Associate of Arts Degree that means nothing from a less competitive school just so they can gouge for huge tuitions nobody will ever be able to pay back once they "gain" their degree.

A friend who hadn't gone to college but took some travel and design classes at a community college where I am from told me they let in people who she was sure couldn't even read based on the number of people who blatantly tried to copy her paper during exams.

It is a sin that they take money from people like that. In this country since 1913 its always been "all about the money". As time goes by there are less and less ethics involved when it comes to taking people's money. It is really sad. People should undersell and over deliver not the other way around.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scgubers View Post
Why are you taking this so personally? I don't know you, you don't know me. What you say has to be substantiated by something other than your words. For a rumor to be confirmed it has to be confirmed by multiple parties. I've only heard about this from you, nobody else. So right now it is only a rumor and you're right I won't apologize because I never called you a liar.
Uh....yeah you did. Allow me to refresh your memory. Here is your exact post:

Give me a screenshot of where it shows up on the Greenville Tech Library database search engines and I'll believe you. Until then I'll wait for something concrete.

You are saying that you do not believe me unless you have some "proof"; you are calling me a liar. What kind of weirdo would lie about a name change to a junior college? To think that someone would lie about something so dumb is weird.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:07 PM

130 posts, read 214,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sophiasmommy View Post
Uh....yeah you did. Allow me to refresh your memory. Here is your exact post:

You are saying that you do not believe me unless you have some "proof"; you are calling me a liar. What kind of weirdo would lie about a name change to a junior college? To think that someone would lie about something so dumb is weird.
You might have been given the wrong information. Thats what I'm saying. What I'm not saying is that you made this up. Only that you could have been given the wrong information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area