Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2012, 08:13 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,464,272 times

Advertisements

Can someone compare these three places as far as:

Economy
Crime
Healthcare
Quality of Life
Schools (Elementary through Highschool)
Shopping
Downtown
Outdoor activities (lakes, fishing, biking)

Looking to relocate and need input from those in the area, Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2012, 09:05 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,545,659 times
The places are so different from one another, it's hard to compare them. Specifically, what would your ideal scenario be?

Greenville is the business/commercial center of the Upstate and its largest city (but by no means a metropolis). Decent public schools overall, and some really good private ones. Good shopping, good arts scene and great dining. There are endless housing possibilities, with suburban, urban (downtown & West End) and established lovely older neighborhoods. In Greenville you're much closer to the airport if you travel much. The Peace Center for the Performing Arts is just wrapping up a major renovation and is a great facility. There's a waterfall in downtown! We have an extensive and growing greenway system (the Swamp Rabbit Trail) and some lovely parks as well. Greenville has two major hospital systems, and is now welcoming the first medical students at the University of South Carolina School of Medicine-Greenville. I could go on and on!

Anderson is a smaller city than Greenville, but bigger than Clemson. Part of it is on Lake Hartwell, so there's easy access for recreation. It's more rural and "country" feeling, but has a decent variety of housing options and most amenities (including a large hospital system with multiple campuses). Shopping is typical suburban/big box type stuff. It's close to Clemson if you get into college football, etc. Not sure about schools in this area - I just don't have any experience with them. Anderson is trying to revitalize its downtown, and there are a few restaurants and shops there now. There is a form of public transit that connects Anderson and Clemson.

Clemson is a college town. But many have been retiring to it and other college towns, so it's not exclusively collegiate. Its downtown is cute and well-kept, but being adjacent to Clemson University, downtown is mainly for students. It is on the northern end of the Seneca River arm of Lake Hartwell, so access to recreation is again good. Clemson is an attractive town/area, and is about 20 min to shopping in Anderson, or about 40-45 min to Greenville.

Good luck, and ask any specific questions you have - there are plenty of knowledgeable folks here who can answer them!

Old 09-19-2012, 02:29 PM

Thanks UPstate Booster:

Here is my scenario. I am searching for an area to buy a home in that will suit myself, my 19 year old, my 10 year old and my parents, both 80.

Because of my parents age and health conditions, we need to be near quality healthcare. Within a short (15 min or less) driving distance.

My 19year old is going to college here in NC, but wants to transfer . . . he's undecided about major, at this time, but would like to live at home, and drive to campus.

He also likes to fish, hunt, hike, yet wants to be close to a place that has cafe's, bookstores, and some nightlife as well as arts. As a family, we all love fishing as well.

My daughter is an avid softball player. She is also gifted academically, and would like to be near a good middle school and highschool.

We currently live in a small town in NC . . .volunteer fire department, a 25 minute ambulance ride to the nearest hospital, not enough funding for Recreation sports . . . and public lake access is also 20 or more minutes away.

As for myself, Im caring for my two parents, and if I can find a place that is suitable for all of us, than I would be happy.

Old 09-19-2012, 03:07 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,782 times
Schools in all 3 places you mention are generally good.

But as far as overall amenities are concerned, as well as access to events/things to do/attractions, Greenville would be your best bet.

Old 09-19-2012, 08:43 PM

Lodestar do you recommend any particular location or town in or around Greenville?

Old 09-20-2012, 07:58 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,882 times
What size home (#br's & baths) & what price range are you looking in. Greenville Hospital System is the largest but they have facilities on both sides of town as well as St. Francis. There are several lakes around but most people I know go to Lake Hartwell (Anderson) or Lake Keowee (Seneca) neither which are too much of a drive from Greenville. There are some smaller lakes as well and then there is the close proximity to the mtns. where you could do some trout fishing.

Old 09-21-2012, 11:33 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,293,306 times
I sometimes feel like I always recommend the Powdersville area but it makes a lot of sense for you.

Powdersville has excellent public schools for your 10 year old (Anderson District 1).

Most of the Powdersville area is a fairly easy commute to Clemson for the 19 year old.

It's a pretty short drive to either Saint Francis or Greenville Hospitals from Powdersville.

For the outdoorsy person it is a bit closer to the mountains while still being within 20-30 minutes of the stuff in downtown Greenville and not too far from all the stuff around Haywood mall, either. Public lake access would still be 20 minutes or more away but Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee are all within 30-45 minutes away.

Old 09-22-2012, 07:39 PM

Thanks for the ideas guys. I didn't consider Powdersville, but will check it out.

I'd like a 4 bedroom but will take a 3 bedroom, and share with my daughter, let me son and parents have their own space . . .

Didn't know about the hospital being on both sides of town . . . any more ideas welcome, and thank you so much, I've learned so much from the people on this site!

Old 09-22-2012, 07:58 PM

807 posts, read 1,784,882 times
Good choice! Great schools and depending on your budget you may be able to find a basement home that gives you all you want. Good luck to you!

Old 09-23-2012, 08:32 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,380,209 times
Actually, it is appropriately named because the most believable local legend says the name origin is directly associated with black powder (gunpowder), which has been used to kill countless innocent lives over many generations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area