Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 05:55 AM

404 posts, read 382,108 times

Advertisements

I can't tell from the pics if this is a big downtown (like Chattanooga) or a smaller downtown?

Can you easily walk from one end to the other? We are visiting soon and have a VRBO on the west side of downtown - supposed to be walking distance, but if we can only reasonably walk to the west end of downtown (is there anything of interest there?) than maybe we should stay somewhere else, like one of the downtown hotels or somewhere else entirely.

Or, if we do just walk to the west end of downtown, is there a trolley or something to get us over to the other end where the park is?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2019, 06:40 AM

5,015 posts, read 8,200,326 times
Not big, easily walkable if you enjoy walking, but just in case there's a free service called Hop In

https://m.facebook.com/HopInGreenville/

Be ready to see one of the most beautiful downtowns in the US!

Old 01-23-2019, 06:53 AM

That's so great! Thank you. I can't wait!!!

Old 01-23-2019, 07:12 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,302,656 times
Most of the interesting stops in downtown Greenville are along Main Street itself or just down a side street. It's pretty easily walkable from one end to the other. Chattanooga's downtown area isn't any longer but when we were there it seemed to be 2-3 blocks wide, which is in contrast to Greenville. They both have nice downtowns. I really liked the pedestrian bridge and park in Chattanooga. In Greenville, the pedestrian bridge overlooking the falls and the surrounding park are nice as well. The two downtowns are different but they are both nice.

Old 01-23-2019, 10:52 AM

12,626 posts, read 32,107,698 times
Downtown Main St spans about 2-3 miles. It's very walkable. You'll enjoy different establishments and sites along the way. There is also a free trolley that goes from one end to the other. There's an app you can download to follow it. https://www.greenvillesc.gov/597/Trolley

Enjoy your trip!

Old 01-23-2019, 10:58 AM

37,903 posts, read 42,060,944 times
Chattanooga's downtown definitely has a bigger footprint. Greenville's is more compact with most of things that appeal to visitors being relatively closer in proximity.

Old 01-23-2019, 12:02 PM

Thanks. What area to the west/northwest of Downtown is considered safe to walk? I see North Street runs in a bit of a circle around downtown. Would we be safe within that boundary (walking)? Also, is it safe to walk to the zoo from downtown? Could we walk from the library to the salvation army? Just want to understand the boundaries with respect to downtown as we would love to do a lot of walking in that area but have no desire or need to walk anywhere that isn't considered safe, in general. Thanks!

Old 01-23-2019, 01:25 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,302,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwnmo View Post
Thanks. What area to the west/northwest of Downtown is considered safe to walk? I see North Street runs in a bit of a circle around downtown. Would we be safe within that boundary (walking)? Also, is it safe to walk to the zoo from downtown? Could we walk from the library to the salvation army? Just want to understand the boundaries with respect to downtown as we would love to do a lot of walking in that area but have no desire or need to walk anywhere that isn't considered safe, in general. Thanks!
The general "tourist" section of downtown is approximately from Fluor Field in the west to the Hyatt in the east. Past the Hyatt heading east there are a couple of parks but not much in the way of shops, etc. Past Fluor Field heading west there is some revitalization starting but it is still limited.

The zoo is connected to downtown through a park and is pretty safe. That said, I find the zoo to be pretty cramped and disappointing (others have differing opinions). I wouldn't put the zoo high on my list of places to visit in Greenville.

It's a bit of a walk but there are sidewalks that connect Main Street over to the library and the museums over in that area. I wouldn't hesitate to walk over there from Main Street.

Which Salvation Army location are you referencing? Near the Kroc Center on Academy Street? Or the location North of Downtown on Rutherford Street?

Old 01-23-2019, 02:11 PM

The one on Rutherford seems to be about .5 mile from the library. I don't necessarily want to go there, just trying to figure out if that direction is safe to walk. I honestly don't know what is over there but saw the Salvation Army on the map and thought it would be a good reference point. Our VRBO is out in that direction near the library and museums so just trying to figure out how far beyond the library that direction would be safe to walk. Would it be safe to walk to the Buttercream Bakehouse? (No idea what that is but with a name like that it's gotta be good!)

Old 01-23-2019, 03:28 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,461,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhitewaterVol View Post
The general "tourist" section of downtown is approximately from Fluor Field in the west to the Hyatt in the east. Past the Hyatt heading east there are a couple of parks but not much in the way of shops, etc. Past Fluor Field heading west there is some revitalization starting but it is still limited.

The zoo is connected to downtown through a park and is pretty safe. That said, I find the zoo to be pretty cramped and disappointing (others have differing opinions). I wouldn't put the zoo high on my list of places to visit in Greenville.

It's a bit of a walk but there are sidewalks that connect Main Street over to the library and the museums over in that area. I wouldn't hesitate to walk over there from Main Street.

Which Salvation Army location are you referencing? Near the Kroc Center on Academy Street? Or the location North of Downtown on Rutherford Street?

I agree about the zoo. Pretty small and rather disappointing. Fine for really small children who won’t know the difference. The park around it is beautiful with wonderful playgrounds, even has one separate for small children. If you’re interested in a trip to the zoo, take a day trip to Columbia. That’s a significantly bigger, better zoo.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area