Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 07:08 AM

13 posts, read 28,941 times

Advertisements

Good morning...
Happy Sunday
Hope everyone is well.
I am visiting the area next week for a job interview.
Currently live in TX.
The job is in Spartanburg but will most likely go out weekends in Greenville.
I assume nightlife there has a little more of a variety to offer.
Gay male couple and some of the things I read have me thinking we would be as comfortable there as anywhere else.
Then I read other things and worry a little.
I know most places are what you make of them.
Can anyone comment on the gay scene in either area.

Also would also like to know about good areas to live in.
Will be renting and open to either an apartment or house.
Walkable, safe, low crime.
I don't have a problem with a 30-45 minute commute.

Thanks for any info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2012, 07:26 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
The City of Spartanburg had a pride day celebration nearly a month ago. You may find a presence there.

As the possible job is in Spartanburg, locating closer to Spartanburg may be adviseable if you desire a shorter commute. As for areas with low crime, walkability and safety in mind, Boiling Springs and Duncan may be desireable.

Old 10-21-2012, 07:56 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,544,553 times
There are many nice areas between S'burg and G'ville, both north of I-85 along US Hwy 29 (Wade Hampton Blvd in the Greenville area) and along south of I-85 along Riedville Rd. Crime isn't much of a problem in most of the area, except in types of areas where (sadly) one would expect it to be.

"Walkable" (I'm assuming you mean within walking distance to shops, necessities, etc) might be a challenge - anything matching that description in either city will be closer to downtown and more expensive than more suburban areas. However, it's possible that older, in-town neighborhoods in smaller area towns like Greer and Simpsonville could provide a reasonably-priced walkable alternative.

BTW - Welcome! My partner & I have lived in the Upstate for 12 years and just love it here!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 10-21-2012 at 08:40 AM..

Old 10-21-2012, 11:47 AM

2,490 posts, read 2,545,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomaxx View Post
Good morning...
Happy Sunday
Hope everyone is well.
Currently live in TX.
Gay male couple and some of the things I read have me thinking we would be as comfortable there as anywhere else.

Thanks for any info.
Id suggest looking at the area behind Heritage Green as its an old and very walkable area with many culturally facilities nearby and a short walk to downtown. It'd also put you next to US 123 And I 385, so getting around won't be so bad.

Old 10-23-2012, 02:53 PM

5,162 posts, read 7,358,124 times
If you are interested in gay nightlife, you may want to sometimes consider a weekend trip to Charlotte or Asheville. Both are a short drive from Spartanburg, and may have more to offer in terms of a social scene. And Atlanta is a fun weekend trip, about 2 hours from Greenville. Downtown Greenville is very nice, but not sure if it offers much in the way of gay nightlife.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:10 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecomaxx View Post
Good morning...
Happy Sunday
Hope everyone is well.
Currently live in TX.

Thanks for any info.
Hi Eco,
I looked back at your post and I think you live in Galveston now....if so.....Greenville will be heaven! I make it to Galveston on business, and, errr, let's just say I stay in Houston.

Not sure of your likes, but do not expect Greenville to be like Montrose or OakLawn / Cedar Springs.

My other half and I love Greenville. We like the fact that gay people mix freely throughout downtown. If you want specific gay bars, there are a couple.....they are OK......not my taste. Lots of gay couples in Greenville and lots of cocktail party type atmosphere. Many gay couples have boats / houses at area lakes. We go to Lake Hartwell on the weekends.

Greenville is not a rainbow flag waving, pride marching type city, but it is heavily gay.

To live, choose Greenville and look at North Main, Overbrook, Cleveland Park, Hampton Pinckney, anywhere downtown and yes, even the burbs. Lots of suburban gays to the East or Golden Strip. The bar at Arizona Steakhouse on Woodruff....very suburban....you also can't swing a dead cat without hitting a gay man on certain nights of the week.

PM me for more details.

Old 10-23-2012, 07:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Hi Eco,
I looked back at your post and I think you live in Galveston now....if so.....Greenville will be heaven! I make it to Galveston on business, and, errr, let's just say I stay in Houston.

Not sure of your likes, but do not expect Greenville to be like Montrose or OakLawn / Cedar Springs.

My other half and I love Greenville. We like the fact that gay people mix freely throughout downtown. If you want specific gay bars, there are a couple.....they are OK......not my taste. Lots of gay couples in Greenville and lots of cocktail party type atmosphere. Many gay couples have boats / houses at area lakes. We go to Lake Hartwell on the weekends.

Greenville is not a rainbow flag waving, pride marching type city, but it is heavily gay.

To live, choose Greenville and look at North Main, Overbrook, Cleveland Park, Hampton Pinckney, anywhere downtown and yes, even the burbs. Lots of suburban gays to the East or Golden Strip. The bar at Arizona Steakhouse on Woodruff....very suburban....you also can't swing a dead cat without hitting a gay man on certain nights of the week.

PM me for more details.
I've always wondered when it seems like there is so many, why isn't the club/bar/social scene bigger? I never understood why it seemed the best there was to offer was The Castle on Friday nights....

Old 10-23-2012, 08:30 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,860,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I've always wondered when it seems like there is so many, why isn't the club/bar/social scene bigger? I never understood why it seemed the best there was to offer was The Castle on Friday nights....
Just because a person is gay, doesn't mean they are into clubs. Single gays, maybe, just like single straights. But Greenville is loaded with white collar, high salary earning gay couples due to all the industry / business. We like to have dinner parties, go to art events, entertain, movies, the lake, travel, work on the house and the yard. You'd be shocked how identical a gay couples life is to a straight couple.

Really stereotypical to think all gay men are in to clubs.....smacks of what the media portrays.

Old 10-23-2012, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Just because a person is gay, doesn't mean they are into clubs. Single gays, maybe, just like single straights. But Greenville is loaded with white collar, high salary earning gay couples due to all the industry / business. We like to have dinner parties, go to art events, entertain, movies, the lake, travel, work on the house and the yard. You'd be shocked how identical a gay couples life is to a straight couple.

Really stereotypical to think all gay men are in to clubs.....smacks of what the media portrays.
I realize not all are, but for every white collar gay there, there's just as many younger and/or single ones. There is the crowd to support it, but yet you have to go to Charlotte or Atlanta to really enjoy it. Not that there's anything wrong with the quieter path...but that's just not how we all roll. Seems a little too...suburban to me. So there's no stereotyping going on by me, I'm just curious why Greenville and the upstate in general need to appeal so heavily to the quiet laid back life like that.

Old 10-23-2012, 09:04 PM

5,490 posts, read 8,321,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattee01 View Post
I realize not all are, but for every white collar gay there, there's just as many younger and/or single ones. There is the crowd to support it, but yet you have to go to Charlotte or Atlanta to really enjoy it. Not that there's anything wrong with the quieter path...but that's just not how we all roll. Seems a little too...suburban to me. So there's no stereotyping going on by me, I'm just curious why Greenville and the upstate in general need to appeal so heavily to the quiet laid back life like that.
Maybe some like it that way. For those who prefer what you do, they can go to Atlanta. Greenville is Greenville, not Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area