Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 12:13 PM

244 posts, read 643,834 times

Advertisements

I'm taking my Mom to see Cirque du Soleil at the Bi Lo Center as a Mother's Day gift.

I'd like to take her for dinner before the show and wondered if you have some recommendations for your favorite spots either along Main St or near the Bi Lo Center?

Also, where do you recommend parking? I know the Bi Lo Center isn't walking distance to Main St...so would you go to dinner, park someplace near the restaurant and then move the car and park at the Bi Lo Center parking garage?

As far as food goes, we love almost everything. We're both somewhat adventurous but also just love good food! Quiet atmosphere is better than anything loud or super-busy. Is there a good restaurant at the Westin hotel?

Thanks so much.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM

807 posts, read 1,783,880 times
Default Restaurants

There are so many choices! I like several restaurants especially near the West End, that would require dinner first then a drive to the BiLo Ctr. Soby's, The Lazy Goat, High Cotton! Oh, the possibilities are endless.

There is a new restaurant ( Breakwater? ) not sure that is correct, hoping someone will help with that one. I hear it is great but haven't been there yet. I can look up the name if needed but feel sure someone will help.

Old 04-25-2012, 08:19 PM

298 posts, read 686,703 times
Sassafras would be a good choice for a 'nicer' place to eat that is convenient to the Bi-Lo end of town.

Old 04-25-2012, 09:51 PM
B&R

148 posts, read 316,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer71 View Post
I'm taking my Mom to see Cirque du Soleil at the Bi Lo Center as a Mother's Day gift.

Also, where do you recommend parking? I know the Bi Lo Center isn't walking distance to Main St...so would you go to dinner, park someplace near the restaurant and then move the car and park at the Bi Lo Center parking garage?
It is around 400 yards or less from Main Street to the BiLo Center from the Hyatt or Holiday Inn Express. That is about 7 or 8 minutes or less at normal walking speed. Add one or two minutes if you have to wait for the traffic on Church Street. Subtract some time if you walk briskly. There are three parking garages other than the BiLo Center garage also within a 5 or 6 minute walk. They would be closer to some of the restaurants north of Washington St.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:25 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,839,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadetree930 View Post
Sassafras would be a good choice for a 'nicer' place to eat that is convenient to the Bi-Lo end of town.
I 2nd this, great southern style high end cuisine! NoseDive Gastropub is the restaurant in the Westin, it has received mixed reviews, its very casual, I like it there. If you are feeling really adventurous Sushi Koji is right near the Bilo off main and has great food. Probably the best sushi chef in greenville.

I usually eat and park in downtown, then drive to the bilo. I always park on Manly st, its across the st from the BiLo, although it says permit parking on the weekends I believe its ok to park there and its free, don't quote me on that tho, I would hate to see someone get towed because of my recommendation.

Old 04-26-2012, 06:53 AM

244 posts, read 643,834 times
Thanks so much everyone!

I have heard great things about the restaurants you mention.

We do love sushi, but also just about everything else.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:33 AM

477 posts, read 840,541 times
Hi,

I'll just squeeze my question in here instead of opening a new thread.
We (me, wife, three kids 13,11,1) wan to go downtown today. We'd like to eat somewhere nice where it is ok to bring kids. Kids can be wild and I don't want to bother other people who want to enjoy there time in a nice restaurant.
Which restaurant is nice, has good food, AND is family friendly in the main street area?

FYI, we went to "Smoke on the water" last weekend so we'd like try something else.

Thanks.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:48 AM

1,844 posts, read 2,761,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toto7SC View Post
Hi,

Which restaurant is nice, has good food, AND is family friendly in the main street area?
I'd say Carolina Ale House and Mellow Mushroom would be good choices.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:59 AM

477 posts, read 840,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikeoid View Post
I'd say Carolina Ale House and Mellow Mushroom would be good choices.
Hi,

thank you. I've been to Carolina Ale house but it's definitely not the kind of restaurant I was looking for.

Old 11-17-2012, 11:29 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,032 times
Some suggestions:

Sassafras - consistently good food/great value - have seen kids there in the past (well-behaved)

Mac's Speed Shop - never eaten there - good reviews from friends with children - but it may be too much like CAH

Barley's - very good pizza (IMO better than Mellow Mushroom) - great for kids - loud

Trappe Door/Nose Dive - both great pub food, esp Trappe Door; however, I'm not sure how each caters to children at dinner
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area