Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 08:55 AM

672 posts, read 1,410,847 times

Advertisements

Can't wait for this project to get started! I don't use that interchange very frequently, but when I do, it's a white knuckle experience.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2012, 08:58 AM

5,518 posts, read 15,289,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vistatiger View Post
Long overdue. They can't get started fast enough. I am suprised more trucks don't overturn on those dangerous sharp ramps now. For comparison, 85/26 in Spartanburg is a 3 level and 85/285 in Atlanta is a 5 level stack.
The I-385/I-185/US-276 interchange in Simpsonville is also three levels.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:23 AM

11,689 posts, read 24,651,337 times
The one problem I have with this design is that traffic from I-385 south won't be able to get off at Woodruff Road next to AT&T. Those drivers will have to get off at either Roper Mountain Road or next to Fuddruckers instead which will cause even more traffic at those exits then what currently exists. Yikes.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:27 AM

179 posts, read 326,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
The one problem I have with this design is that traffic from I-385 south won't be able to get off at Woodruff Road next to AT&T. Those drivers will have to get off at either Roper Mountain Road or next to Fuddruckers instead which will cause even more traffic at those exits then what currently exists. Yikes.
Theres just not enough room there as it is now. That turn is a killer.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:32 AM

4,558 posts, read 5,914,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
The odd and even rule applies to two digit mainline interstate routes only. This means I-26 and I-40 are East/West routes. I-95, I-85, and I-5 are North/South routes.

For three digit auxiliary interstates, that rule does not hold. For these routes, if the first digit is odd it indicates a spur route that does not connect to an interstate at both ends of the route. If the first digit is even it indicates the route is a beltway or bypass that connects to an interstate at both ends of the route. The final two digits indicate which interstate the spur or beltway connects with. These three digit auxiliary routes can be east/west or north/south. There are exceptions but those are the general guidelines.

The US highway system (i.e US 1) follows a similar but slightly different set of rules.
Exactly. 285 in Atlanta signs are EAST/WEST

Old 11-15-2012, 10:36 AM

723 posts, read 1,141,315 times
With that access ramp from I-385 South to Woodruff Rd. next to Old Country Rd. (between Greenridge and Magnolia Park) eliminated, there will be significantly more Woodruff Rd. traffic pressure on the Roper Mtn. interchange and the ramp that meets Woodruff adjacent to Fudruckers. This will make Woodruff Rd. even more of a nightmare than ever - all the way from west of Roper Mtn. to east of Butler Rd. Since the ramp from I-385 South to I-85 South will bypass Woodruff Rd., I wish SCDOT would add a new ramp to Salters Rd.and possibly extended Woodruff Industrial Ln. to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. to allow alternate access to that stretch of Woodruff. Without those improvements, businesses may suffer. And, as others have suggested, Market Point Dr. also needs to be connected to Carolina Point Parkway.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
They are so landlocked there somethings gotta go.
They mentioned the two business that will have to relocated in the GNews but didn't say who it is. I wonder if it is Fudruckers and Lieus Chinese Bistro? They are going to need room there for that merge of traffic coming from both directions of 85 onto 385 South.

Old 11-15-2012, 10:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
With that access ramp from I-385 South to Woodruff Rd. next to Old Country Rd. (between Greenridge and Magnolia Park) eliminated, there will be significantly more Woodruff Rd. traffic pressure on the Roper Mtn. interchange and the ramp that meets Woodruff adjacent to Fudruckers. This will make Woodruff Rd. even more of a nightmare than ever - all the way from west of Roper Mtn. to east of Butler Rd. Since the ramp from I-385 South to I-85 South will bypass Woodruff Rd., I wish SCDOT would add a new ramp to Salters Rd.and possibly extended Woodruff Industrial Ln. to Old Sulphur Springs Rd. to allow alternate access to that stretch of Woodruff. Without those improvements, businesses may suffer. And, as others have suggested, Market Point Dr. also needs to be connected to Carolina Point Parkway.
If they can eliminate that light next to AT&T will that not help move traffic along that backs up there at Target? Also the off ramp at Roper Mountain is nice and wide now and seems to not be used that much.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:57 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,257,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ausrutherford View Post
Not replacing the bridges on Woodruff with ones that can have traffic meet with ONE light instead of two is a big blunder.
I agree that both interchanges should be considered for a SPUI style approach instead. With a large part of the traffic at both intersections turning left off or onto the interstate, combined with a lack of space to put in a full cloverleaf, a SPUI would make a lot of sense.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:01 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,257,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
I agree with a lot of your ideas. An interchange at Salter Road and extending Woodruff Industrial Lane and Market Point Drive to connect to Salter Road would help to alleviate traffic from Woodruff Road.

I also don't see the need to eliminate the ramp from I-385 South to Woodruff road - they could have a ramp to the inside of that ramp that connects into the I-85 South ramp to Woodruff road as there is plenty of room there.

I try my best not to shop at stores on Woodruff Road due to the traffic congestion. When I do, I try to figure out the way I can get there with the least distance on Woodruff Road possible, even if I have to come to the business from a back way or side road.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area