U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-17-2012, 12:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 15,811,781 times

Advertisements

I don't know about anyone else that posts in this forum but if you've eaten at the best restaurants in NYC, Boston, Newport, RI, Charleston, SC, New Orleans, LA, San Francisco, Austin, TX, San Antonio, Tx, Washington DC and in London, Paris and other parts of France and the UK that are "Relais" Caliber restaurants, Canada and Mexico, the best restaurants in Greenville, fall far short.

However, I have a solution of how to boost the "best" restaurants in Greenville to at least match the level of the best restaurants in Asheville. It would involve some continuing education and a field trip to Pittsboro, NC. Greenville chefs would all need to go to the Fearrington House Restaurant there and taste everything on the menu that Chef Colin Bedford there has prepared (who recently was recognized by Relais as being one of their best chefs internationally which easily makes him one of the best in the world. Relaischateaux.com). So they can experience maybe for the first time what REALLY outstanding food tastes like. Hopefuly be able to watch the food being prepared and then come back to Greenville so inspired and driven, they could reproduce it or at least raise their level of cooking so that it is in the outfield of the ballpark.

Fearrington House Restaurant Menu - Elegant Dining, Romantic Dining (Chapel Hill, Raleigh, Durham, NC)

Thanksgiving Menu at The Fearrington House

Guess what? This isn't a dream. It could actually happen! When I was perusing their website I discovered they have "culinary classes" there too! The chefs could enroll in the classes! Cooking Classes - Fearrington Culinary School: Near Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, NC

Here is the chef himself being interviewed on NPR after receiving his award. In the interview he talks about what is on the menu for Thanksgiving. Listen to the interview and see if you don't agree.

(Of course to really agree you'd need to go there or to any Relais and taste the food.)
The Grand Chef —

The Fearrington House Inn, Restaurant & Spa - Relais & Châteaux

I'm so sick of eating at mediocre overpriced restaurants in Greenville. The only one so far I'd return to is Augusta Grill. The Lazy Goat was a huge disappointment and others were just barely O.K.

I recently read a review of The Owl on Wade Hampton on "Chowhound" and the person said he was served an appetizer consisting of Ricotta cheese with some basil sprinkled on top and was charged $8.50. Talk about the antithesis of gourmet, bland and a total rip off!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 08:00 AM

5,680 posts, read 10,970,622 times
That's interesting & all, but this sounds too much like a commercial for this particular school.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I don't think the thousands of satisfied customers at Greenville's better restaurants (many of whom are well-traveled and even from many of the cities you list) really care.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:00 AM

9,101 posts, read 15,811,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
That's interesting & all, but this sounds too much like a commercial for this particular school.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions of course, but I don't think the thousands of satisfied customers at Greenville's better restaurants (many of whom are well-traveled and even from many of the cities you list) really care.
It isn't a "school". It is a boutique inn with a restaurant that happens to have a world class chef who is considered not just a great chef but a "Grand" chef internationally and was just recognized as such.

It turns out they have cooking classes at the inn if there are enough people.

I was half kidding about the continuing education. However if Greenville chefs really care about and love food and want to strive to do a better job, there probably are few people in the country that could inspire them as well as this chef. With his restaurant being only a 5 hour drive away, I think it would be WELL worth the investment to drive out there and just have a meal there and discover what REAL WORLD CLASS gourmet food tastes like. Then hopefully be inspired enough to ramp up your cooking skills several notches to try to recreate it back here in Greenville.

On another forum for Foodies in "the South" , the consensus is that unfortunately Greenville is NOT known for its restaurants, whereas Asheville is. In fact the Chowhound site is where I got the link to the interview with Chef Colin Bedford.

Sure. The "thousands" that visit Greenville from elsewhere obviously like plain food and they and like it in Greenville just as well as elsewhere. People that extol Greenville Restaurants are not food writers for the New York Times. It is also safe to say that Greenville has yet to arrive on the food scene map as far as Foodies are concerned as the Food Network hasn't even bothered to visit Greenville and tell the rest of the country how "great" the restaurants are. In fact if you type in "Greenville,SC" in the Food Network search bar, the only restaurant that comes up is the Augusta Grill which is as far as I'm concerned the best restaurant BY FAR I've eaten at in Greenville.

Last edited by emilybh; 11-18-2012 at 11:08 AM..

Old 11-18-2012, 10:37 AM

6,738 posts, read 21,487,514 times
Maybe the chef at Rafferty's should signup immediately. How you cannot tell the difference between a steak that is rare vs. well-done is beyond me. And for the wait-staff; once you drop steaks off at a table you should return within 5 mins. to make sure they were cooked right. Dumb!!!

We will never go back after our experience there Friday night! Never!!

The best steaks in Greenville are those you cook yourself in your own home for a fraction of the cost!

Old 11-18-2012, 01:46 PM

606 posts, read 1,327,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myrc60 View Post
The best steaks in Greenville are those you cook yourself in your own home for a fraction of the cost!
Yep!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area