U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-18-2012, 01:15 PM

3 posts, read 4,442 times

Advertisements

I'm born and raised in Pennsylvania but due to many circumstances I am going to be moving early spring 2013 to Greer or nearby as I have great family in South Carolina. They WANT me to move near them. My only real concern is that I am perceived as gay which isn't that much of a big deal in Pennsylvania. My concern is that I may be unwelcomed in churches and other places in South Carolina. My family says that while SC is not known to be 'gay friendly' it is also not 'gay hating' and is always people friendly and I'm a person and not to worry.

I am forty something and have spent many times visiting my family in SC for from a week to a month and have always found the area to be pretty nice and people to be very down to earth and friendly.

I am single, celibate and am not looking for romance. I would be attending the MCC - Metropolitan Community Church in Charleston or any other gay welcoming church.

I have no agenda and don't advertise myself. I just want to be a part of a community. I have always loved the south and have real family in the south, two of my father's brothers, good uncles and good men (my dad died when I was young) and my two uncles have told me numerous times over the years they love me and should I ever want to be near family which I need I am welcoming to live with them until I find an apt. and such.

But I have to get opinions of being perceived as gay in the south as although I have visited often and often for a month at a time over the years it's still not the same as living there.

Thanks for your honest feedback and thoughts.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-18-2012, 01:42 PM

5,014 posts, read 7,596,952 times
There are people who are going to like you, and there are others who aren't without knowing anything about you.

People have no idea I'm Jewish, I don't wear a Star of David on my forehead, nor is there any other way for people to know I'm Jewish, until they try to invite me to join their church. I'm not outwardly Jewish in any way. But some people, if knowing, will not want to know me just because I'm Jewish. To each his own. Not everyone is going to like me, nor am I going to like everyone.

When I started looking to move here I knew no one was going to be coming to me to form any friendships. I didn't have the usual outlet where most people meet others, I don't go to temple, no young children in school, and without a job, these are the outlets that provide more opportunity to meet others if you're willing to make connections. Not to mention, while you have family who can introduce you, I did not, and where I settled, no neighbors to speak of.

I had to put myself out there, and boy am I glad I did. I have made some fantastic friends, true friends who are there for me and I for them. I even started a local meetup group for
45-55yr old singles when I unexpectedly found myself among the masses of those without a partner - I'm having the time of my life.

People here have been wonderful, inviting and friendly. Try to start connecting with others with similar interests before you move down. The first person I met before moving here was a gal who saw a post I had written about gardening on a SC forum. Came up to look at homes, met her for coffee, and we've been friends ever since!

Don't worry so much about how you are perceived, you'll be fine.

Just my 2 cents

Best of luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 03:13 PM

5,680 posts, read 10,977,796 times
Grew up gay in the South (Alabama, which was pretty difficult in the 80's). Always lived in the South, though. You sound very much like my partner & I. But we've experienced nothing but open arms since we've been in Greenville, at least. From neighbors, to co-workers, to people we just meet while out & about, no one has batted an eye about our partnership. Most who know us count us among their friends!

Again, like you we don't go around advertising things, but don't exactly hide it either. It's just matter-of-fact, and when you present something like sexual orientation in that way, the responses tend to be neutral to positive, in our experience. Good luck!

Old 11-18-2012, 06:01 PM

16,930 posts, read 15,790,835 times
Most people are accepting but you always have those that are judgemental and give you a hard time....I would find a church you are comfortable with and let things fall into place.

Good Luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area