Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2012, 10:24 PM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times

Advertisements

Can someone give the pros and cons to each of these areas for a family that is moving to the area. We have no friends or family in the area, but have fallen in love with the Upstate.

I work from home, and will be bringing my 20 year old and 10 year old. 20 year old will be attending Fuhrman in the Fall.

We are half backs, NY to Florida, and now in NC. We are moving out of NC for different reasons.

How do these areas compare as far as crime, welcoming Yankees/Half backs, schools, and a basic sense of community. We are interested in sports, outdoor activities, farmers markets, and good neighborhood parks. We are also hoping to find a community pool.

It will be mostly myself and 10 year old, so safety is a big concern.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2012, 07:21 AM

807 posts, read 1,784,117 times
I think you would like Easley or Travelers Rest. Check out the Swamp Rabbit Trail for outdoor activity. Walking & biking trails. Taylors is nice but would be a longer drive to Furman depending on which side you choose. There are several Farmers Markets during the summer. Easley & Greenville. TR has the Swamp Rabbit Grocery as well.

Old 12-05-2012, 07:38 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,606,962 times
Of the areas you mention, and if I had no school-aged children, I'd live in Traveler's Rest (or near Furman) - I absolutely love that area. TR has transformed their downtown area (which lies adjacent to the Swamp Rabbit Trail). Downsides to TR: public schools are average at best (my opinion only), no Target or upscale shopping (have to drive to Woodruff/Magnolia Park/GreenRidge areas).

Taylors has easy access to downtown Greenville and Greer - I'm not quite sure of the public schools there but I believe most are above average (really depends on what part of "Taylors" one lives in - it's really just a suburb of Greenville with no identifiable downtown).

I just don't know enough about Easley so I can't comment - I really just pass thru Easley when traveling to Table Rock/Gorges State Parks/NC mountains.

I do think that the city of Greenville will be the most welcoming to transplants - it's by far the most progressive area in the entire Upstate. IMO, you'll find the best outdoor activities/parks within the city of Greenville.

(I'm not sure what part of NC you're from, but...) the Upstate of SC is very similar to parts of NC (especially the Piedmont) - my wife is from Greensboro - there are lots of similarities between the Upstate of SC and Triad (similar weather, topography, etc) - I do think the overall economic outlook is better in the Upstate.

Old 12-05-2012, 08:55 AM

2,442 posts, read 2,867,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifesigns64 View Post
Can someone give the pros and cons to each of these areas for a family that is moving to the area. We have no friends or family in the area, but have fallen in love with the Upstate.

I work from home, and will be bringing my 20 year old and 10 year old. 20 year old will be attending Fuhrman in the Fall.

We are half backs, NY to Florida, and now in NC. We are moving out of NC for different reasons.

How do these areas compare as far as crime, welcoming Yankees/Half backs, schools, and a basic sense of community. We are interested in sports, outdoor activities, farmers markets, and good neighborhood parks. We are also hoping to find a community pool.

It will be mostly myself and 10 year old, so safety is a big concern.
I cannot comment on the areas you mentioned, but we are also moving from NC to Greenville, and we are choosing to live in Greenville itself partly due to its reputation for being somewhat progressive. I also want to be close to the cultural offerings downtown, as well as the types of shopping I am used to here- Trader Joes, Fresh Market, fresh bagels. My feeling is that Greenville will be more welcoming to Yankees than some of the surrounding towns. We rejected places like Simpsonville since we didn't want to be in the same kind of suburban setting we currently live in.

Old 12-05-2012, 09:09 AM

696 posts, read 1,335,068 times
TR definitely has my recommendation. There are plenty of nice neighborhoods. TR also has a farmer's market at Sunrift and the park, and Leopard Forest coffee is pretty darn good stuff. Downside is the YMCA in TR does not have a pool.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:04 AM

271 posts, read 796,939 times
Here's my view:

Travelers Rest: Definately a cute area for the most part. The whole revitilization thing makes that 2 block strip look good downtown....nice view of mountains in most areas....has a nice community "feel" to it.....BUT I don't see alot to actually do there, unless you were into the whole Swamp Rabbit trail thing. Furman is close that is for sure. But you'd have Wal-Mart and that's about it. Everything else would be a drive to Greenville/Wade Hampton area.

Taylors: This is just urban sprawl/suburbia. I don't think there is even a an actual "town" area of Taylors...it's essentially an "area" that you drive through between Greenville and Greer. Nice patches and some other patches that are a bit rougher (in looks anyway). Close to Wade Hampton, which offers most everything in terms of shopping. It doesn't really offer any type of "community" feel, it's really a place that most people would pick because of location/easy access, I would guess.

Easley: Can't say...never been...no need to....everyone I've met that IS from Easley is driving into Greenville constantly though.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:27 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
Here's my view:

Travelers Rest: Definately a cute area for the most part. The whole revitilization thing makes that 2 block strip look good downtown....nice view of mountains in most areas....has a nice community "feel" to it.....BUT I don't see alot to actually do there, unless you were into the whole Swamp Rabbit trail thing. Furman is close that is for sure. But you'd have Wal-Mart and that's about it. Everything else would be a drive to Greenville/Wade Hampton area.

Taylors: This is just urban sprawl/suburbia. I don't think there is even a an actual "town" area of Taylors...it's essentially an "area" that you drive through between Greenville and Greer. Nice patches and some other patches that are a bit rougher (in looks anyway). Close to Wade Hampton, which offers most everything in terms of shopping. It doesn't really offer any type of "community" feel, it's really a place that most people would pick because of location/easy access, I would guess.

Easley: Can't say...never been...no need to....everyone I've met that IS from Easley is driving into Greenville constantly though.
TR: What samiis said, but the Publix shopping center near Furman has restaurants & other services and the Cherrydale area of Greenville is just a mile or so past that, so most necessities are reasonably nearby.

Taylors: Pretty much what samiis said, but there are pockets of reasonably-priced neighborhoods with mature tress & yards. A co-worker/friend of mine's family lived in Taylors and were conveniently close to the Eastside YMCA, which actually has a Taylors address.

Easley: While samiis' depiction is still basically true, a lot of the driving into Greenville is being curtailed due to lots of new commercial development along Hwy 123 (see the thread titled "Easley's New Shopping").

Good luck!

Last edited by Made_it_To_the_Metroplex; 12-05-2012 at 11:54 AM..

Old 12-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Well Easley is about 15 minutes away as well. I go Hwy. 183 to Hwy. 25. While we don't have as much shopping as Greenville we definitely have more than we used to. Check the Easley's new shopping thread for details.

Old 12-05-2012, 10:44 AM

1,413 posts, read 2,463,288 times
Thank you . . . guys if I hadn't mentioned those areas that I liked, can you suggest other areas for us to check out. We live about 2 1/2 hours away and come down every two weeks for the day.

I don't want to be uneducated or be persuaded by a realtor that either just wants to show me their listings, or is also new to the area.

This is the first time I will be buying a house "on my own", and hopefully a place to settle for the long haul, scared of making a poor choice!

Old 12-05-2012, 10:53 AM

Powdersville, Simpsonville, Greenville. You have the right to interview your Realtor. Ask where they live, where have they sold etc. if they have not worked the area you decide to live in, maybe they can recommend someone to you. You need to find someone you are comfortable with. You should be given a agency disclosure brochure & understand it before signing a buyer agency agreement. You can always call the Company you decide to work with & speak to the Broker in Charge & ask for a recommendation. Your first home is a big deal!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area