Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 07:34 AM

10 posts, read 14,478 times

Advertisements

Hello all, I am moving to the Woodruff Rd. area and had some questions. I am looking at the Paddock Club Apartments because they are so close to my employer. I keep reading that traffic on Woodruff is very bad and wanted to make sure I wasn't making a bad decision by working on that road. I visited from Charleston on a saturday night, and while it was crowded, traffic was constantly moving. I just wanted to make sure this wasn't just some rare occurrence and I got lucky.
Also, something I forgot to look for while I was there was how a bike would fare around that area. If I moved to the Paddock Club I would only be a mile and a half from work which would give me a great opportunity to bike to work.
And one more thing, is there any public transportation to and from downtown from there. I would like to be able to drink downtown, but don't want a dui. I could always call a cab I suppose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2012, 07:49 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,569,059 times
At 3:00 yesterday (Mon), Woodruff Road was a parking lot from Shops at Greenridge almost to the Paddock Club Apts. Part of that was due to the fact that one lane was closed for utility work. But I have rarely driven that section of Woodruff when it wasn't crazy busy. I don't think I would have the nerve to ride a bicycle there at all, even if I were 30 years younger. Don't mean to be a downer, but you asked.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:14 AM

10 posts, read 14,478 times
Well that is disappointing news. But I do appreciate your input. Thank you.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:15 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,963,004 times
I agree. I wouldn't want to be riding a bike on Woodruff. I usually avoid that area even while driving because of the traffic, especially at certain times of the year. It probably wouldn't be terrible since you work so close but I might rethink the bike idea.

Old 12-11-2012, 08:37 AM

1,849 posts, read 2,786,802 times
I'd also say that a bike would be sketchy on Woodruff Rd: possible but would feel dangerous. There's no public transportation in that area (and not anywhere in Greenville after 7:30 PM or on Sunday).

Old 12-11-2012, 08:41 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,632,245 times
(I echo the statements roadpony made above) My wife drove down Woodruff yesterday at 3:30 en route to Greenville Gymnastics - she assumed Woodruff would be moving at steady pace - unfortunately, it was a standstill from Verdae/Roper Mountain to Miller/Garlington. This heavy traffic seems to start around Thanksgiving and continue thru the New Year. Woodruff Road was constructed with absolutely no foresight - it should be (at a minimum) 6 lanes.

Last edited by drfranklin; 12-11-2012 at 09:27 AM..

Old 12-11-2012, 10:12 AM

723 posts, read 1,157,958 times
If one drives Woodruff Rd. only occasionally, the traffic will always look bad; if you travel it daily, you get used to it. I live just a short distance off Woodruff Rd. and Hwy. 14 but work downtown, so I have to travel Woodruff Rd. every day. Traffic is indeed heavy just about all the time, but it does move well generally unless impeded by an accident or transient construction.

The heaviest traffic is farther down Woodruff Rd. toward downtown, starting around I-385 and then continuing through the Greenridge area and I-85 interchange, running past Target and the Magnolia Park Town Center development area before easing up around Verdae Blvd. The truth is, however, that there will be traffic - heavy traffic - just about anywhere on the east side, due to the immense popularity of that side of town and the attendant growth in construction of both housing and retail.

Thus, if your employer is located anywhere within the Woodruff Rd. corridor, or just adjacent to it, then you're going to have to deal with the congestion one way or another. If you learn to read traffic patterns and adjust your driving practices accordingly, you generally should be able to move around smoothly. (As I said, I do it daily.) The one plus for Paddock Club Apartments is the benefit of having a traffic light at the entrance/exit.

As for alternative transportation, the news isn't good there, either. There currently is no public transportation whatsoever from that part of Woodruff Rd. Even if there were routes that ran near the complex, local public transportation outside of downtown Greenville doesn't run very late anyway, ending around 7:30 p.m. most days. (If you are interested in rentals with public transportation options, look at apartments on Verdae Blvd. or on Gloucester Ferry Rd., which is just off Congaree Rd. Just keep in mind that you'll still have to deal with traffic on Woodruff Rd. and other thoroughfares when you commute to work. You can check out Greenlink for local bus routes.)

Meanwhile, biking probably would be downright scary. I used to bike a lot when I lived elsewhere, but, other than the few areas with designated bike lanes - mostly within the city of Greenville itself - or recreational paths, I don't find roads in this area very conducive to human-powered transport.

Old 12-11-2012, 10:27 AM

1,077 posts, read 1,661,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lyricamphibian View Post
If one drives Woodruff Rd. only occasionally, the traffic will always look bad; if you travel it daily, you get used to it. I live just a short distance off Woodruff Rd. and Hwy. 14 but work downtown, so I have to travel Woodruff Rd. every day. Traffic is indeed heavy just about all the time, but it does move well generally unless impeded by an accident or transient construction.

The heaviest traffic is farther down Woodruff Rd. toward downtown, starting around I-385 and then continuing through the Greenridge area and I-85 interchange, running past Target and the Magnolia Park Town Center development area before easing up around Verdae Blvd. The truth is, however, that there will be traffic - heavy traffic - just about anywhere on the east side, due to the immense popularity of that side of town and the attendant growth in construction of both housing and retail.

Thus, if your employer is located anywhere within the Woodruff Rd. corridor, or just adjacent to it, then you're going to have to deal with the congestion one way or another. If you learn to read traffic patterns and adjust your driving practices accordingly, you generally should be able to move around smoothly. (As I said, I do it daily.) The one plus for Paddock Club Apartments is the benefit of having a traffic light at the entrance/exit.

As for alternative transportation, the news isn't good there, either. There currently is no public transportation whatsoever from that part of Woodruff Rd. Even if there were routes that ran near the complex, local public transportation outside of downtown Greenville doesn't run very late anyway, ending around 7:30 p.m. most days. (If you are interested in rentals with public transportation options, look at apartments on Verdae Blvd. or on Gloucester Ferry Rd., which is just off Congaree Rd. Just keep in mind that you'll still have to deal with traffic on Woodruff Rd. and other thoroughfares when you commute to work. You can check out Greenlink for local bus routes.)

Meanwhile, biking probably would be downright scary. I used to bike a lot when I lived elsewhere, but, other than the few areas with designated bike lanes - mostly within the city of Greenville itself - or recreational paths, I don't find roads in this area very conducive to human-powered transport.
I second this sentiment. Woodruff Road moves pretty smoothly and you can usually get to where you are going in a decent amount of time. I rarely get caught at a light longer than once. People are probably used to other, less popular parts of town where you zip in and out in no time. Access roads need to be built parallel to Woodruff on each side though. That would ease a lot of traffic. They are putting in crosswalks I think by Greenridge which is why a lane was closed... someone else could confirm that.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:47 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,895,448 times
I have to admit that all the traffic and congestion around Greenville scares me. Living in north Raleigh, I almost never have to drive in any kind of traffic. Just occasionally if I find myself on the beltline between 4:30 and 6:30 it is stop and go, but 90% of the time I am driving on pretty roads with lots of trees and little to medium traffic. Greenville is very different. I love the downtown and the proximity to the mountains, and of course the friendly people, but outside of downtown the city is not attractive. Once we get there I will be much closer than I am now to Trader Joe's and Costco, but the roads to get there are much more trafficy.

Old 12-11-2012, 11:57 AM

4,270 posts, read 6,963,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I have to admit that all the traffic and congestion around Greenville scares me. Living in north Raleigh, I almost never have to drive in any kind of traffic. Just occasionally if I find myself on the beltline between 4:30 and 6:30 it is stop and go, but 90% of the time I am driving on pretty roads with lots of trees and little to medium traffic. Greenville is very different. I love the downtown and the proximity to the mountains, and of course the friendly people, but outside of downtown the city is not attractive. Once we get there I will be much closer than I am now to Trader Joe's and Costco, but the roads to get there are much more trafficy.
I guess it just depends on perspective. I grew up in Charlotte and then moved to Raleigh and went to College there. (I LOVE Raleigh and do miss it even though I like Greenville a lot too). In my personal opinion after, living in Raleigh for 5 years, one thing I noticed when I moved here is that the traffic down here is NOTHING and I have had several friends commenting on the lack of traffic when visiting from Raleigh. So it is interesting that you think the traffic is worse. Yes a couple individual roads are bad here but I couldn't believe the difference in traffic when I moved from Raleigh to Greenville.

I will say that Raleigh has done a pretty good job with their road development (it is much better than CLT or ATL for reference) but down here I feel like traffic is a breeze as long as I avoid Woodruff road except for a few trips a month when we might hit up Whole Foods, TJs, or Target.

I do agree that Greenville is not a a very attractive city outside of the downtown. The downtown has been developed VERY WELL luckily and I love it down there and spend as much time as I can there, but the rest of the city definitely feels a little thrown together. As a whole I love living here though. Light on traffic (imo), low cost of living, great downtown.

Last edited by Sunbather; 12-11-2012 at 12:52 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area