Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2012, 08:22 AM

2,444 posts, read 2,871,103 times

Advertisements

This may have been discussed before, but my sons and I love going to the local, small theater. It is an easy drive, never crowded, less expensive than the mulitplexes, and has a deal for newspaper subscribers that gives us free popcorn and a drink with the purchase of two tickets (although I must add that for two young men the medium popcorn is never enough split three ways, so we don't alwys use that coupon). Is there anything like that in Greenville, or are we stuck with the expensive, crowded, multiplex? In my short visits to the area, as well as searching on google maps, it doesn't seem that there are neighborhood businesses like I am used to; everything is in a busy mall on a busy street. Am I wrong? Also, are there are independent theaters showing foreign or other non-mainstream films?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2012, 08:31 AM

4,232 posts, read 6,910,410 times
Greenville really lacks in independent theater options. Being from Raleigh I miss that and have often even thought about trying to open one myself at some point in the future! (I miss Galaxy Cinema up there, even though it is closed or closing now )

Old 12-12-2012, 08:56 AM

Thanks for the response, jamiecta. I see there is a West End Theater, which looks interesting, but I would really like a small, neighborhood theater as well, that shows new releases, but without the high prices. I am thinking of the Six Forks Cinema in Raleigh, if you are familiar with it. We also have the Colony and the Rialto, which show foreign and independent films.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:07 AM

672 posts, read 1,418,196 times
In my experience, the Camelot is less crowded and cheaper than the others, for what it's worth. It doesn't feel as new or safe as the others, but it's a worth a visit if you're trying escape the packed Regal theaters.

I understand what you're looking for, and I agree that it would be nice to have that here.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:17 AM

1,998 posts, read 4,609,789 times
Please understand that Greenville is not as sophisticated as the Raleigh metro - I don't know of small theaters that offer foreign or non-mainstream films - the Regal cinemas in the area will occasionally offer these films when the demand is there.

To answer your first question, yes - Camelot Cinemas - I prefer this theater over the giant Regal Hollywood 20. Camelot has 7 screens (I think) with 1 giant theater that seats about 500 people (I think it's the biggest screen in the Upstate) - major downside - this screen does not have stadium seating (only offset seats)

Old 12-12-2012, 09:20 AM

505 posts, read 940,890 times
REI Cinemas in Easley, Seneca, and Greenwood are 6-8 screen theaters. They are cheaper than Regal and others. They upgraded projectors, screens, and seating about a year or so ago.

REI Cinemas - Seneca South Carolina, Easley South Carolina, Greenwood South Carolina

Old 12-12-2012, 09:42 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Great Escape in Simpsonville is pretty quaint, and is only a few miles down the freeway.

Old 12-12-2012, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Great Escape in Simpsonville is pretty quaint, and is only a few miles down the freeway.
That sounds like it could be what I'm looking for- thanks!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:11 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,060 times
Great Escape was part of a medium-size chain that very recently got gobbled up by Regal Cinemas. I doubt the changes will be for the better.

Old 12-12-2012, 11:17 AM

2,261 posts, read 5,842,912 times
Occasionally the peace center will have independant or foreign film series
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area