Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2013, 08:40 AM

12,882 posts, read 18,736,837 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gvillesc View Post
I wonder how many people read this article? From the beginning there was an emphasis on how the manufacturing sector was doing. That's not Columbia's bread and butter, so why would there be any emphasis on Columbia's job market? If The State ran an article on how the insurance industry was faring, I don't think I would be coming up with conspiracy theories as to why Greenville was not mentioned. This is just silly.

And, for the record, the article said Greenville and Charleston are included in South Carolina's pockets of prosperity, but it did NOT say they were the state's only pockets of prosperity.
Good points. I would have read it if I had a subscription. Was manufacturing the only emphasis?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2013, 10:29 AM

5,484 posts, read 8,315,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
Good points. I would have read it if I had a subscription. Was manufacturing the only emphasis?
Use Google as a back door by typing the article in search brother.

Old 01-07-2013, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redcliffe View Post
Use Google as a back door by typing the article in search brother.
That doesn't work. It still blacks out every time I get to the article. I just tried it, and I have had the same problem before. I might go to the Richland Library and read the hard copy. I did see enough to read the phrase referring to job growth in Charleston, not manufacturing job growth, so I'm still thinking thinking well, what is Columbia with the job growth it has seen in the last year? Chopped liver?

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,576,256 times
From the article:
Quote:
South Carolina’s pockets of prosperity — including Charleston and the Upstate — are linked to a global economy experiencing the largest boom in growth in history, said Bruce Yandle, dean emeritus of Clemson University’s College of Business and Behavioral Science.

Boeing manufactures jetliners in North Charleston, and BMW produces cars at its plant in Greer.

“When you look at that first Boeing plane that was produced in Charleston — if you look at the logo on it — it’s going to Air India,” Yandle told GreenvilleOnlinecom.

“When you look at acres of BMWs getting ready to be put on ships in Charleston, they’re going to Germany, by and large initially, but a good many of them are going to China.

“And so South Carolina is enjoying a good linkage to the developing world,” with state exports increasing about 23 percent on a year-over-year basis, one of the larger increases in the nation, he said.
So that sets the tone for the article is about. Then it goes on to analyze the I-85 corridor and uses Charleston, which already exists in the article, as a reference:
Quote:
While employment in the Charleston metropolitan area has “fully recovered” from the recession, going back to December 2007, other areas haven’t been as fortunate, he said.

“That’s the only region in South Carolina that has fully recovered,” Yandle said of the Charleston area.
York and Cherokee counties — near Charlotte — are rebounding, but the Greenville metropolitan area “has had very little growth in total employment — zero growth in the last year,” he said.

Last edited by gvillesc; 01-07-2013 at 12:30 PM..

Old 01-07-2013, 12:14 PM

Okay, I read it, thanks to a web-savvy trickster. Whether it's meant that way or not, it feels, as it so often does, despite the fact that Columbia seems to just keep on keeping on through thick and thin, as though writers from The Greenville News purposely write as though the capital city didn't exist, unless they get a chance to say something bad about it.

Old 01-07-2013, 12:36 PM

They COULD have toss Columbia into the fray, but what purpose would it serve? They're writing an article about the upstate economy, which is based heavily on manufacturing and international business. Maybe you could tell us all what manufacturer in the Midlands would work well as a strong reference? Help us understand your plight.

Old 01-07-2013, 01:01 PM

Quote:
They COULD have toss Columbia into the fray, but what purpose would it serve? They're writing an article about the upstate economy, which is based heavily on manufacturing and international business. Maybe you could tell us all what manufacturer in the Midlands would work well as a strong reference? Help us understand your plight.
They start out saying manufacturing in the Upstate remains strong, so we know manufacturing's not the problem. They don't mention government. They do mention fewer construction jobs. I'll go figure.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:11 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,609,760 times
Quote:
The article mentions a lot of things from exports, housing to growth around Charlotte, which is not manufacturing specific. The article mentions oil producing states in the upper Midwest and some political events. Additionally, Yandle/the author writes about the pockets of prosperity in SC and mentions Charleston/Greenville. The article is much more comprehensive than manufacturing. One would think that a pharm plant in metro Columbia would qualify as prosperity because it has high wages and is unique to SC.

To use the word plight is drama but, it is interesting that the article dances over a host of economic issues, any one of which could be a dissertation, and never mentions the largest metro in SC. You often hear the upstate and Clemson leaders talking about Charleston/Greenville and leaving out Columbia and are ultra sensitive about Charlotte's impact in SC. Not sure if leaving out Columbia was intentional but, if you are talking about SC's pockets of prosperity, leaving out an area with some of the highest wealth and fastest growth in SC seems like a gross oversight and/or intentional. Would you not agree that when talking Abiut SC's economy, leaving out almost 20% of the population is a little interesting? Would you not classify Columbia as a pocket of prosperity in SC?

I am just glad to see Yandle include Charlotte in his analysis. That seems to get you folks from Greenville a little emotional but, it is the correct thing to do.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:25 PM

5,238 posts, read 8,788,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
That doesn't work. It still blacks out every time I get to the article. I just tried it, and I have had the same problem before. I might go to the Richland Library and read the hard copy. I did see enough to read the phrase referring to job growth in Charleston, not manufacturing job growth, so I'm still thinking thinking well, what is Columbia with the job growth it has seen in the last year? Chopped liver?
A trick I've learned on some of these news sites with a paywall (or whatever it's called) is after you reach your limit of free site visits (when the site would normally cut you off), turn on "Private Browsing" (that's what it's called on Safari, at least) in your web browser. Then go to the article, and voila, it comes up.

I guess you can delete cookies, too (?), but the private browsing thing is just two clicks.

Old 01-07-2013, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSP101 View Post
The article mentions a lot of things from exports, housing to growth around Charlotte, which is not manufacturing specific. The article mentions oil producing states in the upper Midwest and some political events. Additionally, Yandle/the author writes about the pockets of prosperity in SC and mentions Charleston/Greenville. The article is much more comprehensive than manufacturing. One would think that a pharm plant in metro Columbia would qualify as prosperity because it has high wages and is unique to SC.

To use the word plight is drama but, it is interesting that the article dances over a host of economic issues, any one of which could be a dissertation, and never mentions the largest metro in SC. You often hear the upstate and Clemson leaders talking about Charleston/Greenville and leaving out Columbia and are ultra sensitive about Charlotte's impact in SC. Not sure if leaving out Columbia was intentional but, if you are talking about SC's pockets of prosperity, leaving out an area with some of the highest wealth and fastest growth in SC seems like a gross oversight and/or intentional. Would you not agree that when talking Abiut SC's economy, leaving out almost 20% of the population is a little interesting? Would you not classify Columbia as a pocket of prosperity in SC?

I am just glad to see Yandle include Charlotte in his analysis. That seems to get you folks from Greenville a little emotional but, it is the correct thing to do.
I don't care enough to argue over this. I just shared what I read and took from the article. But, perhaps you're right? Maybe there is one gigantic conspiracy plotting against Columbia..? If there is, then it's not working very well. Columbia seems to be doing fine. I'm not sure why people are up in arms over this, unless they just want to play the victim.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area