Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 04:28 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,785,933 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
I know some employees at Fluor are anticipating layoffs this year.
That is disappointing to hear.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-09-2013, 05:20 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
If you want a slow lifestyle and don't mind having a small selection of good restaurants, shopping and events, Greenville is a great place. Charleston & Columbia in SC are also nice, I have friends who love living in each of those cities.
Sadly, city size does always equate to better quality of life. Columbia is larger than Greenville, but still does not have an Apple store, Pottery Barn, Aldo, L'Occitane, Anthropologie, PFChangs, etc. that Greenville has. No professional baseball team in Columbia. No Southwest Airlines in Columbia and sadly the Columbia airport ranks number 4 in the state in passenger numbers after Charleston, Greenville and Myrtle Beach. No Mini or Vespa dealers in Columiba. Not even premium hotel brands like Westin or Hyatt Regency can be found in Columbia. Yep, size does not equal quality.

Old 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM

684 posts, read 1,186,163 times
SC pro sports = fail.

Training camp doesnt count.

Old 01-10-2013, 12:35 PM

233 posts, read 282,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
Sadly, city size does always equate to better quality of life. Columbia is larger than Greenville, but still does not have an Apple store, Pottery Barn, Aldo, L'Occitane, Anthropologie, PFChangs, etc. that Greenville has. No professional baseball team in Columbia. No Southwest Airlines in Columbia and sadly the Columbia airport ranks number 4 in the state in passenger numbers after Charleston, Greenville and Myrtle Beach. No Mini or Vespa dealers in Columiba. Not even premium hotel brands like Westin or Hyatt Regency can be found in Columbia. Yep, size does not equal quality.
LOL, having a small number of retail shops adds to quality of life? Southwest airlines adds to quality of life? Your obsession with bashing Columbia borderlines on strange. Look, we are lucky in that Simon owns Haywood and leverages their A malls like Southpark to help fill space at malls like Haywood. Saying that quality equals a minor league baseball team is laughable. I like the Drive games, primarily because of the cheap prices but, I would trade it in a minute to have major college sports year round.

Seriously, we have a higher quality of life in Greenville be aide of a Vespa dealer? Mini? Heck, we had Mini before Charlotte because of many reasons, the least of which was a great market. There are a lot of reason that retail evolves in a city whether it is automotive or otherwise. Mao, using that as an example of "quality" is a joke.

This is really a sad post when quality of life in a city is linked to a moped dealer, I am glad hat my friends in Greenville have more depth.

Old 01-10-2013, 05:46 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,611,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
GS, this reasoning for a "quality" city makes as much sense as living in a large house paid for with an interest only loan. Fact is that Columbia is a wealthier city and has a higher educated population. Those are better qualities than small retail shops.

You can honestly say that a Single A baseball club is quality? Sure, it gives the city an identity but, in any case, I would take a major college sports program over a Single A baseball club. I would take UNC-Charlotte over a Single A baseball club if given the choice.

Fact is that retail timing does not and has never been a correlation with the "quality" of a city. Here is an example, Charlotte does not have SouthWest Airlines. Do you think that has hurt Charlotte? Doubt it. Charlotte had a Mini dealer after Greenville because Hendrick, one the nations largest car retailers (based in Charlotte), wanted to see how Mini sold before investing. Your logic is very funny.

Love the "you are not a quality city because you don't have a Vespa dealer".

Old 01-10-2013, 05:48 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vhammond View Post
LOL, having a small number of retail shops adds to quality of life? Southwest airlines adds to quality of life? Your obsession with bashing Columbia borderlines on strange. Look, we are lucky in that Simon owns Haywood and leverages their A malls like Southpark to help fill space at malls like Haywood. Saying that quality equals a minor league baseball team is laughable. I like the Drive games, primarily because of the cheap prices but, I would trade it in a minute to have major college sports year round.

Seriously, we have a higher quality of life in Greenville be aide of a Vespa dealer? Mini? Heck, we had Mini before Charlotte because of many reasons, the least of which was a great market. There are a lot of reason that retail evolves in a city whether it is automotive or otherwise. Mao, using that as an example of "quality" is a joke.

This is really a sad post when quality of life in a city is linked to a moped dealer, I am glad hat my friends in Greenville have more depth.
This seems a bit harsh. Some of these retail establishments are very important to many people. Having an Apple store is important to me. My son lives in Columbia and came up to see us when we were visiting Greenville (and purchasing a building lot) last year. When he saw the downtown he was envious. Greenville on the whole just seems more progressive and upscale to me. Where my son lives, there is literally a title loan business on every corner.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
This seems a bit harsh. Some of these retail establishments are very important to many people. Having an Apple store is important to me. My son lives in Columbia and came up to see us when we were visiting Greenville (and purchasing a building lot) last year. When he saw the downtown he was envious. Greenville on the whole just seems more progressive and upscale to me. Where my son lives, there is literally a title loan business on every corner.
Bigben, I think Hammond is right on. To equate a high quality of life with a small number of retail shop s is shallow. It's that simple. Especially considering that some stores are at Haywood because they want to be at Southpark but, Simon packaged space with Haywood. That does not speak to the city.

As for your son, not sure where he lives in Columbia but, as much as I am in downtown Columbia, I have yet to see a title loan business. I think hou are making that up for effect. Fact is that Columbia is a wealthier and higher educated metro than Greenville. I have friends in Charlotte who would not mind moving to Columbia because it is a nice city with a great vibe.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:08 PM

2,443 posts, read 2,869,148 times
I am certainly not making that up (title loan business). Why would I do that? He lives in a lovely apartment complex very close to the nice Forest Acres area. If you go in that direction, it's lovely. In the other direction, every corner (and I am not exaggerating) has a title loan store. Guess you haven't been on Two Notch Rd.

Old 01-10-2013, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
I am certainly not making that up (title loan business). Why would I do that? He lives in a lovely apartment complex very close to the nice Forest Acres area. If you go in that direction, it's lovely. In the other direction, every corner (and I am not exaggerating) has a title loan store. Guess you haven't been on Two Notch Rd.
I have plenty of times. Anyway, if you want to discuss Columbia, there is a section for that. This thread is more about the lack of job growth in Greenville.

Old 01-10-2013, 07:03 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keithhtt View Post
I belive the point is that larger cities (that were mentioned)are undesirable to live as well as to work near. Thus the mention of the long commutes.
You say that like it's an established fact. Larger cities are larger for good reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area