Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2012, 02:42 PM

98 posts, read 281,626 times

Advertisements

I want to move to South Carolina and go to college. What are the top Universities in SC?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2012, 04:00 PM

800 posts, read 1,464,563 times
The University of South Carolina, Clemson, and College of Charleston are the 3 largest public schools in the state, and the ones most people nationally are most familiar with.

Then you have private universities like Furman and Wofford, both in the Upstate SC area, which also have very good reputations nationwide.

And then there are lots of smaller private and public schools throughout the state, like Erskine College, Winthrop University, SC State, Francis Marion, The Citadel, Coastal Carolina, Coker College, Presbyterian College, Newberry College, Anderson College, and many others which I'm sure I'm leaving out.

Old 12-19-2012, 04:11 PM

235 posts, read 528,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefaV View Post
I want to move to South Carolina and go to college. What are the top Universities in SC?

Here are Top 5 and reasons why people chose to go there

1)USC-Columbia-
Located in the middle of the state so the Mountains or beaches are within a 2 hour drive, Atlanta is 3 hours away and Charlotte is 1.5 hours away. Business program is one of the best in the nation. International Business Program is usually always 1 or 2 in the nation. Athletics have been doing well in the last few years especially the Football and Baseball teams. Columbia has a lot to offer in the nightlife rather it be 5 points or The Vista.

2) Clemson University
Located in the Upstate of South Carolina in a rural area. People love the small town feel of Clemson. Engineering and Agriculture programs are one of the best in the nation. Like Carolina, athletics are consistently good. Greenville would be the nightlife scene which is only 30 mins away.

3)College of Charleston
Located in Downtown Charleston, SC (voted best city in America). The scenery and feel of the city is definitely a favorite of students that go here. Folly Beach, Sullivan Island, and Isle of Palm are some of the local beaches in the area. Being downtown, and right around the famous King Street, most of the shooping areas and nightlife are in walking distance. Usually warm for most part of the year. No football team but basketball/baseball teams are decent.

4)Coastal Carolina
Located in Conway, SC, mins away from Myrtle Beach. Not as big as the 3 schools before it, but athletics are decent. Nightlife would be Myrtle Beach, Broadway at the beach is one of famous spots. For shopping, Tanger Outlets are also a very good shopping areas. Marine Biology at Coastal is one of the best programs in the nation.

5)Winthrop University
Located in Rock Hill, 15 mins from Charlotte, Winthrop is a very good liberal arts school, Would have to travel to Charlotte for nightlife, Athletics are decent, no football team. I'm not exactly sure which academic programs are best here but Im pretty sure someone would tell you.

These colleges are what I think most people chose that want to attend a school there are others that are school and if you have questions, just ask me

Old 12-19-2012, 04:24 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,868,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JosefaV View Post
You may get a better response if you post under the South Carolina Thread. This is the Greenville Thread. There are colleges and universities all over South Carolina, not just in Greenville.

I'd say the top colleges are:
Citadel
College of Charleston
Furman
Wofford
Winthrop

Old 12-19-2012, 06:58 PM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
It all depends on what you want to study and what type of environment you want. Furman & Wofford are outstanding schools. Both are small, attract top students and are challenging. Most students live on campus and class sizes are very small.

For the large schools, Carolina and Clemson are both great schools depending on the discipline. Carolina is widely know for the business school and consistently is one of the best nationwide. The new business building would be a welcome addition on any campus, it is incredible. Clemson is more known for agriculture, architecture and engineering. Carolina is located in the city (metro of 800k) while Clemson is more rural. So, it all depends on what you want.

Old 12-19-2012, 07:07 PM

505 posts, read 941,337 times
why South Carolina in the first place?

Old 12-19-2012, 10:12 PM

1,941 posts, read 4,472,529 times
Clemson is ranked as the top overall public school in SC by almost all publications based on metrics like SAT, GPA, class size, student:teacher ratio, etc. Second would be College of Charleston in my opinion, followed by the University of South Carolina and finally The Citadel. Coastal Carolina has really grown a lot in recent years.

Regarding private schools, Furman and Wofford are generally regarded as the top two, followed by Presbyterian, Winthrop, and Erskine.

Each school obviously has its own unique set of focus areas, strengths, and attributes. Do some research, and I'm sure you will make a good choice.

Old 12-20-2012, 06:38 AM

3,200 posts, read 4,614,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenville View Post
Clemson is ranked as the top overall public school in SC by almost all publications based on metrics like SAT, GPA, class size, student:teacher ratio, etc. Second would be College of Charleston in my opinion, followed by the University of South Carolina and finally The Citadel. Coastal Carolina has really grown a lot in recent years.

Regarding private schools, Furman and Wofford are generally regarded as the top two, followed by Presbyterian, Winthrop, and Erskine.

Each school obviously has its own unique set of focus areas, strengths, and attributes. Do some research, and I'm sure you will make a good choice.
LOL, magazine rankings.

Old 12-20-2012, 09:53 AM

1,280 posts, read 1,397,187 times
The "top school" will likely depend on your desired major.

Old 12-20-2012, 10:00 AM

5,593 posts, read 15,388,671 times
As others have said, it depends on your interests and/or goals. Each school has its own set of advantages and disadvantages and your decision should be determined by which school best fits your needs and wants. I also recommend looking at schools in other states if you are open-minded regarding campus location. Several factors should be carefully considered before committing four or more years of your life to any school.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area