Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-12-2013, 06:51 PM

36 posts, read 82,918 times

Advertisements

Hello! Was hoping that someone can share with me any insights about West Anderson as opposed to North Anderson. I heard that the schools in North Anderson were a little better, but the housing in West Anderson appears to be newer and priced a little better. Schools are important to me since I have two elementary-school aged children. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2013, 06:16 PM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
West Anderson, if you are going out to Lake Hartwell on SC-24, is a booming area. Where there is growth, new or expanded schools will be out there.

Do I assume both west and north Anderson are within Westside High School's attendance area?

Old 01-13-2013, 07:32 PM

Thanks Carolina. We took a drive around West Anderson today. Looked at the Drake's Field subdivision and really liked it. The part around that neighborhood looked ok, but the further south we got on the 28 bypass, the more rundown it looked. So not sure what's going on on the side of Anderson. I think West Anderson is zoned to Lakeside Middle and Westside High, while Northern Anderson is zoned to McCants Middle and Hanna High.

Old 01-14-2013, 07:47 AM

21,020 posts, read 27,245,104 times
SC-28, from SC-24 to US-29 and SC-81, is in a transition phase. Southwest and south Anderson are in need of great revitalization. A retail revival will partly help.

Did you take SC-24 out toward Lakw Hartwell?

Old 01-14-2013, 03:03 PM

800 posts, read 1,463,598 times
North Anderson (which I would define as anywhere between the North Main/Clemson Blvd corridor eastward to SC 81) has more retail/restaurants/general amenities, and IMO better schools. West Anderson is growing a bit more lately and has generally less expensive housing, but I don't think the schools are as strong and, of course, you're a farther drive to the retail hub along North Main.

Old 01-14-2013, 04:44 PM

Thanks for your responses, Lone Star and Carolina. I have not taken SC-24 out to Lake Hartwell yet, but it sure does sound nice. I think we'll do that this weekend. You're right, Lone Star, it seems like the northern part (including that 81 corridor) seems to have everything right there--which is great. The house pricing in that area, seems to be higher as well. The house that I saw, loved and can afford in the Western side - may not be within reach on the northern side. Gosh, there is no "perfect" is there?!

So I guess I was wondering if an investment in a house on the West side would be a bad investment. I know that ultimately, that's our decision, but I think it would help to get some additional insight from folks who know the area better than me.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:01 AM

33 posts, read 36,044 times
I have a question since jackiekt kind of touched on something I've been wondering about the area... we were in the area just after New Years looking at the area and driving past schools and generally trying to get a feel for the area. My husband's concern was that there appeared to be no zoning or zoning control.

We were in the Easley, Powdersville, Anderson area primarily- hotel in Easley, so we spent the most time there, granted it was 2 days, but we were in that area the most. I specifically wanted to see TL Hanna and Wren High Schools since they seem to be the 2 most everyone on this site talks about. The Anderson area closer to TL Hanna (and we did not drive deep into the streets/neighborhoods in the area), seems to be neater/cleaner- by this, I mean no abandoned houses or mobile homes just thrown about or groups of mobile homes on the side of the road. There was a "company" that had set up shop in an old closed gas station that was selling huge, and I mean huge, slabs of granite. This didn't bother me, but it did him. (Now I know where to get the counters replaced probably for less $ if we move there!). From what I remember, there seemed to be little in that area- there were some other companies in a strip area that seemed to also be home renovated related and it seemed to be near a state route, which also made him nuts because state routes are more pronounced where we currently lived and this one didn't even have a sign, (which we ran into a lot in this area- no signs on the streets, even in major busy areas).

My question is, is it the norm for all of the Greenville outskirts to be housed with mobile homes and abandoned old houses strewn about every couple miles? I'd like to live on a bit of land or at least a subdivision that had a decent lot size without spending a couple hundred thousand dollars on a place and then pull out and see this? It's causing my husband to not want to move there at all. I personally want to enjoy all the other things Greenville has to offer and I feel it's a lot and for long term.

Is this the norm? Or just Easley/Anderson ?

Thanks for your help in advance. Sorry to piggy back on jackiekt, but it sounds like the concerns are similar.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:22 AM

97 posts, read 160,310 times
If by North Anderson you mean the area surrounding T.L. Hanna heading towards Powdersville then this is the area I would suggest. Another 5 years and developments will continue picking up from there to the interstate. You can already see more retail growing as you head up 81. T.L. Hanna is a much better school district than Westside with better facilities although both schools are overcrowding now. Oh and you also have the brand new elementary school on 81 but McCants Middle is a dump that needs major renovations.

Old 01-14-2015, 01:21 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,292,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breakaway71 View Post
I have a question since jackiekt kind of touched on something I've been wondering about the area... we were in the area just after New Years looking at the area and driving past schools and generally trying to get a feel for the area. My husband's concern was that there appeared to be no zoning or zoning control.

We were in the Easley, Powdersville, Anderson area primarily- hotel in Easley, so we spent the most time there, granted it was 2 days, but we were in that area the most. I specifically wanted to see TL Hanna and Wren High Schools since they seem to be the 2 most everyone on this site talks about. The Anderson area closer to TL Hanna (and we did not drive deep into the streets/neighborhoods in the area), seems to be neater/cleaner- by this, I mean no abandoned houses or mobile homes just thrown about or groups of mobile homes on the side of the road. There was a "company" that had set up shop in an old closed gas station that was selling huge, and I mean huge, slabs of granite. This didn't bother me, but it did him. (Now I know where to get the counters replaced probably for less $ if we move there!). From what I remember, there seemed to be little in that area- there were some other companies in a strip area that seemed to also be home renovated related and it seemed to be near a state route, which also made him nuts because state routes are more pronounced where we currently lived and this one didn't even have a sign, (which we ran into a lot in this area- no signs on the streets, even in major busy areas).

My question is, is it the norm for all of the Greenville outskirts to be housed with mobile homes and abandoned old houses strewn about every couple miles? I'd like to live on a bit of land or at least a subdivision that had a decent lot size without spending a couple hundred thousand dollars on a place and then pull out and see this? It's causing my husband to not want to move there at all. I personally want to enjoy all the other things Greenville has to offer and I feel it's a lot and for long term.

Is this the norm? Or just Easley/Anderson ?

Thanks for your help in advance. Sorry to piggy back on jackiekt, but it sounds like the concerns are similar.
In SC (and the southeast in general), once you are outside the city limits, there is very little in the way of zoning. You can build a mansion and then the person that owns land next to you can put in a single wide trailer. That's good when you don't want 1,000,001 inspections and permits every time you decide to cut down a dead tree or build a storage shed. Not so good when your neighbor lets their house become run down. Even inside the city limits in many cases, zoning has only really taken hold the last 20-30 years, so you have a fair amount of older construction that was built before zoning.

The Powdersville area has no real zoning restrictions unless you are in a subdivision with covenants and an HOA and even then, enforcement of the covenants will vary from subdivision to subdivision. Honestly, if seeing mobile homes bothers you, I can't imagine there being many rural areas of the south where you won't see them. Not everyone can afford a $200,000 house.

The gas station selling granite on SC 153 (I think this is what you are talking about) is a bit weird but that gas station was vacant before, and it looks better than it did when it was vacant.

The schools on the north side of the city of Anderson feed into Hanna, which is a great school. The Western side of the Powdersville (in Anderson County) area feeds Wren, another good school. The Eastern side of the Powdersville (also in Anderson County) area is a little less rural and feeds Powdersville, High School, which is also excellent.

Old 01-14-2015, 09:06 PM

33 posts, read 36,044 times
Whitewater, thanks for your reply. None of it bothers me, I was raised in the country and am used to seeing a lot of the stuff that seemed to bother my dear husband. I just had to ask the question as I had not seen anyone comment on any of these questions previously. From what I read, I think it would be a super fit for us in so many ways. Thank you for your replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area