Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2013, 09:18 PM

13 posts, read 43,918 times

Advertisements

So, I'll be moving to Greenville within the next month and I could NOT be more excited. I've been in Athens, Georgia for the last five years and have been mostly miserable here. I applied for jobs in both Greenville and Atlanta, being at least vaguely familiar with both cities, and Greenville bit first. I'm so glad -- I never wanted to live in a place as big as Atlanta, and Greenville seems to have some really nice amenities for a smaller town.

Anywho, I guess my question is this -- I'm mid-30s, young professional. I like good beer (you might call me a beer snob) and laid-back people. I've not spent a LOT of time in downtown Greenville, but the apartment I will be renting is off 385/Butler Road. This area seems nice -- is it? And what places should I definitely try out for food/drink when I get there?

I cannot WAIT to move!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2013, 09:30 PM

684 posts, read 1,185,851 times
Barley's downtown for beer!

Old 01-12-2013, 10:31 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,781,346 times
Downtown Greenville for beer: Barley's Taproom, Carolina Ale House, Velo Fellow, Trappe Door, Blue Ridge Brewing, Sharkey's Pub, Liberty Taproom, Mac's Speedshop, Grill Marks, On the Roxx, Rey's, Addy's Dutch Cafe, Corner Pocket, Mellow Mushroom, Wild Wing Cafe, Nose Dive, Connolly's Irish Pub, City Tavern, 21 East, and Ford's Oyster House.

Make sure you check out Dark Corner Distillery, Greenville Beer Exchange, Community Tap, Handlebar, and Growler Station in and near downtown also.

Last edited by g-man430; 01-12-2013 at 10:54 PM..

Old 01-12-2013, 11:58 PM

4,212 posts, read 6,901,334 times
Greenville Beer Exchange is my bottle-shop choice for buying growlers and craft beer in Greenville. Additionally, some of my favorite bars are: Trappe Door, Nose Dive, , Velo Fellow, and Barleys.

Enjoy it here! My wife and I live in Mauldin (late 20s) and we are downtown all the time since moving here a few years back. We love the downtown.

Old 01-13-2013, 06:41 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Smart choice! As listed above, the beer possibilities here are nearly endless. Plus, you'll get to keep a good bit more of your paycheck here, as the cost of living in the ATL is much higher.

While I don't have any personal experience with them, I have friends who do, and Meetup groups http://www.meetup.com/cities/us/sc/greenville/ seem to be a great & fun way for newcomers to meet people and get involved in something fairly quickly.

Best of luck to you!

Old 01-13-2013, 06:57 AM

7,993 posts, read 12,857,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lissarose78 View Post
So, I'll be moving to Greenville within the next month and I could NOT be more excited. I've been in Athens, Georgia for the last five years and have been mostly miserable here. I applied for jobs in both Greenville and Atlanta, being at least vaguely familiar with both cities, and Greenville bit first. I'm so glad -- I never wanted to live in a place as big as Atlanta, and Greenville seems to have some really nice amenities for a smaller town.

Anywho, I guess my question is this -- I'm mid-30s, young professional. I like good beer (you might call me a beer snob) and laid-back people. I've not spent a LOT of time in downtown Greenville, but the apartment I will be renting is off 385/Butler Road. This area seems nice -- is it? And what places should I definitely try out for food/drink when I get there?

I cannot WAIT to move!
You'll love The Velo Fellow and Trappe Door.

The Velo Fellow | 1 Augusta St., Suite 126, Greenville, SC

http://trappedoor.com/

Old 01-13-2013, 07:58 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,790,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpstateBooster View Post
Smart choice! As listed above, the beer possibilities here are nearly endless.
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous claim from my point of you.

While things have definitely improved, I was astonished when I moved here 5 years how limited the beer choices were here in SC.

Just ask any of the local vendors. I prefer the guys at The Community Tap, but any of them will tell you it can be frustrating getting some of the great beers distributed to SC.

I only went to the Beer Exchange once. I had a growler with me from a brewery in another state, and they refused to fill it. They offered to throw it in the trash and replace it with one of theirs. So I never went back. The Tap is more convenient for me anyway.

While there are more beer choices here now than five years ago, the choices are far from "endless."

I guess to someone who lives in a desert, a little spring seems like an endless supply of water. But if you come from a rain forest, that little spring doesn't seem like much.

Last edited by Art123; 01-13-2013 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-13-2013, 08:10 AM

6,896 posts, read 22,519,774 times
Nothing wrong with the area where you'll be living. The only negative might be noise from the high school ball games but there are several communities in that area so it's hard to know if you are right across the street from the football field or not. It can get noisy during football/marching band season over there. My son goes to Mauldin High (MHS) but we live further west on Butler Rd. Welcome!

Old 01-13-2013, 08:20 AM

5,680 posts, read 11,541,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
Sorry, but that's a ridiculous claim from my point of you.
"point of you??" lol! The evidence that your claim is also ridiculous is about four post directly above your own.

Old 01-13-2013, 09:12 AM

5,590 posts, read 15,373,752 times
The commute from I-385 @ Butler Road to downtown could soon be a bit more annoying if construction plans move forward on the new four-level I-85/I-385 interchange.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area