Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-15-2013, 01:11 PM

156 posts, read 227,093 times

Advertisements

In our relocation process, we have focused on a few "in town" neighborhoods in Greenville, but I was also curious about the Acadia community in Piedmont. They state that they are approximately 10 mins from downtown.

Does anyone have input on this planned community? They state that they have about 45 households currently living in Acadia with construction/contracts on about 18 more. Plans are to eventually build out to 700 households (incl townhomes) although this would be years away.

The community looks like it offers some nice features (pool, tennis, boathouse with access to Saluda river), but it would obviously be a very different experience living out there versus closer in to downtown and the stores.

While I'm sure the development of this community has been slowed by the overall economic picture, I'm wondering about the reputation of the developer (Caleb Freeman). Also, curious as to whether it is attracting a mix of families and retirees or mostly the latter (the public schools districted for this community do not look good, although the person I spoke with at the sales office said it's easily commutable to the private schools in the area.)

Thoughts? Opinions?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-15-2013, 03:11 PM

2,781 posts, read 3,288,714 times
It is really close to town from there - quick access to the interstate.

The public schools in that area are not very good. Seems like an odd location to me. They could have built the same concept on the other side of the river in an excellent school district (the river is the county line).

If you can afford private schools it wouldn't be an issue, though. It might affect the long-term value of the homes in that development but that is hard to predict.

Old 01-15-2013, 05:44 PM

82 posts, read 196,476 times
I live on the other side of the River in Anderson County (so we have great schools) but I have several friends who live in Acadia. It seems to me that the developer has high ideals and is sticking to them even though the community has been slow to grow. When I moved out here my neighborhood had about 10 homes finished now there are over 100 in that same time frame Acadia went from a couple (maybe 5 to 45 - if they say so). They have much better amenities than we do and they put them in first which to me is a good thing.

The two big issues I see are the school district and the fact that are no bigger lots. Most place in the country we looked at that these type of developments had the mix of houses and lot sizes with some in .5 to 1 acre range and Acadia does not offer that. If we could have gottten a bigger lot we would have considered it even with the not great school district.

I know several young families in Acadia and most of them go to private school which another used the school choice/magnet option in Greenville Co and send their kids to Blythe. The statement that it is easily commutable to the private schools is true.

They also have a lot of neighborhood events and get together giving Acadia a nice family feel.

Old 01-16-2013, 07:38 PM

156 posts, read 227,093 times
Thanks for this feedback - it's helpful. The homes and community buildings look like they are quality construction. I just worry about living in a place where nice homes are adjacent to overgrown lots if the momentum slows. I will probably take a closer look in person.

Old 01-19-2013, 09:43 PM

423 posts, read 898,315 times
I know 3 families who live in Acadia and really like it. I was really surprised at how quickly I got there, considering it was a Piedmont address. The person I was visiting had recently done some renovations to her home. One crazy thing was that she had some furniture and other items that she wanted to donate to either Goodwill or the Salvation Army and couldn't get the Greenville locations to pick it up because she has a Piedmont address and the Anderson locations wouldn't pick it up because she lives in Greenville County. Ironically, she is only a 7 minute drive from the Augusta Rd Goodwill, but they wouldn't pick it up based solely on her zip code.

Last edited by gvlgal; 01-19-2013 at 09:43 PM.. Reason: erroneous typing

Old 01-20-2013, 03:11 PM

82 posts, read 196,476 times
Even though that area is a Piedmont address (which it it is not close to), and Powdersville is not incorporated the post office lets you use either Piedmont or Powdersville as your address (at least I know this is true if you are in Anderson Co). In fact when we moved to RR our real estate agent advised us to explain to people we were in Powdersville since people would assume we were way out there when they heard a Piedmont address and we are way closer to Greenville than Simpsonville.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area