Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-08-2017, 12:07 PM

1,939 posts, read 2,729,740 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp rabbit View Post
Last week I noted the monthly charges for 7 day subscription jumped from $ 22 to $ 29, a whopping 32% more!

How greedy can you get? And how long can GNews continue operations by charging more to make up for circulation loss?

GNews "a'int" that good a paper. The paper quality is so low its hard to read, has many smudges and the content is mostly stuff from somewhere else.
I pay $3.00 a month to get the iPad view subscription. Love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2017, 10:18 AM

5,125 posts, read 7,253,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasily View Post
You can get coupons online, you don't need a print paper to get them:

The Best Online Coupon Services of 2017 | Top Ten Reviews
One of the main reasons many folks buy the Sunday newspapers is because of the coupons and ad supplements. But unfortunately many of the couriers have gotten lazy or careless and often fail to insert many of the supplements. I personally prefer the Best Buy and HHGregg ads, as well as Belk and Macy's. Often many of these are missing.

Old 04-09-2017, 11:24 AM

453 posts, read 641,065 times
You won't be seeing too many HHGregg circulars anymore, though!

Old 04-10-2017, 05:44 AM

9,362 posts, read 9,659,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Tyner View Post
You won't be seeing too many HHGregg circulars anymore, though!
Won't be long until Macy's, Sears, and K-mart are gone too.

I do find newspapers useful for cleaning windows.

I heard that the Humane Society is looking for bundles of newspapers to line the animal cages.

Old 04-10-2017, 07:19 AM

2,438 posts, read 2,840,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Won't be long until Macy's, Sears, and K-mart are gone too.

I do find newspapers useful for cleaning windows.

I heard that the Humane Society is looking for bundles of newspapers to line the animal cages.
Lol! Yes we have pet birds and find that one of the main uses for the paper.

Old 04-10-2017, 08:54 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigRedBeth View Post
Lol! Yes we have pet birds and find that one of the main uses for the paper.
I buy one or two every year to use in my charcoal chimney.

Old 04-13-2017, 03:48 PM

461 posts, read 979,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tylerSC View Post
One of the main reasons many folks buy the Sunday newspapers is because of the coupons and ad supplements. But unfortunately many of the couriers have gotten lazy or careless and often fail to insert many of the supplements. I personally prefer the Best Buy and HHGregg ads, as well as Belk and Macy's. Often many of these are missing.
Best Buy doesn't issue paper ads every week anymore. They are sporadic now.

Old 04-19-2017, 08:43 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,394,172 times
Don't use credit cards any more than you have to -- for emergencies, for example. USE CASH instead as much as you can! Imagine trying to have a yard sale and not be able to use cash.

Our information is getting easier to steal - especially the cards with the chip - which many say is "the mark of the beast". It is certainly easy to grab your info from them I guess. If they aren't covered in tin foil, they can be scanned by someone with a reader. Look how easy it is: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre.../#3d029fad78a6

My credit card info was stolen and then sold to a web hosting service I've used for years! I'd always paid for the service by check and then one day I got an email thanking me for my payment. I hadn't paid since a month before that time. I called them to ask what happened and why i got the email and how they got my credit card info. They couldn't give me a straight answer.

Then I called the credit card company.They researched it and told me the hosting company had probably purchased the info from a hacker. They made me cancel my card and sent me another with a nasty chip.

Ever since then, I haven't heard anything from the hosting company. My payment is over due as the credit card company stopped payment on that last payment even though one was due that I had planned to pay by check. I haven't received any annoying reminders for over due payments. I think they might be afraid I'd call the Atty. General and tell on them or something.

I think we all need to use cash or checks as much as possible. They want to take cash away so they can control our access to our bank accounts. Imagine not being able to withdraw funds just because you had a bad hair day or something. I'm not kidding. Watch the movie "America: Freedom to Fascism" and you'll see what I mean. It should be free on-line. That is just for starters. Even Ron Paul, when he was running for President recommended everyone watch that. I did back them in 2007 and it was a HUGE WAKE UP call for me.

Old 04-20-2017, 07:46 AM

2,781 posts, read 3,258,237 times
Now I know who it is I have to wait behind in the grocery line while they take 10 minutes to write a paper check.....

Old 04-20-2017, 09:09 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,632,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
Our information is getting easier to steal - especially the cards with the chip - which many say is "the mark of the beast". It is certainly easy to grab your info from them I guess. If they aren't covered in tin foil, they can be scanned by someone with a reader. Look how easy it is: https://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre.../#3d029fad78a6
I know I'm spitting into the wind here but ......

That (very old) Forbes article is not about cards with EMV chips, but about cards with NFC chips and antennas.

NFC is an older technology that's largely been abandoned by card issuers in the US (not one of my debit or credit cards has this technology in them today).

NFC is for "contactless payments", or cards that can be tapped, waved over, or touched against the payment terminal, allowing you to complete the sale without inserting or swiping the card.

The newer EMV chipped cards can only be read by inserting them into a reader that makes direct contact with the chip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area