Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2013, 01:25 PM

46 posts, read 66,165 times

Advertisements

Well, we have been here about 6 months, renting. Loving the area. Finding out that most of our "haunts" are in the Mauldin Area, DH is working at the Donaldson Center and we love downtown Greenville.

We are ramping up to buy and have been looking around at neighborhoods. Our kids are currently in Mauldin Middle and want to go to Mauldin HS.

Any thoughts on the Planter Row subdivision in Mauldin?

Any thoughts on Hillcrest Middle School?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 PM

4,170 posts, read 6,859,814 times
Hi. My wife are mid-late 20s and have lived in Planter's Row for 3 years now. No kids though so I can't provide much input on the schools.

We don't love Mauldin itself, but we really like Mauldin's *location* and that is why we bought here. We are 20 minutes to parking in downtown Greenville (where we end up most weekends) but also 8 miles from our work near the mall. You have three fairly quick paths to different points in Woodruff if you ever need to go there (Entry closer to the beginning via Laurens and Verdae, entry closer to the middle utilizing 85 of Laurens, and entry toward the end utlizing Butler/Mauldin rd). You also are close to driving to Simpsonville: you have access to a 2nd movie theater, home depot, target etc. if you want to avoid woodruff.

Mauldin did get a Chicora Alley recently which we frequent, but other than that we don't really do much in Mauldin itself.

As far as Planter's Row, we have found it to be quiet and family-friendly. They have sidewalks, though it is not consistent: there is about a 1mile loop around our portion of the neighborhood that has a sidewalk for almost the entire way that we utilize with our dog. Also, I tend to like the older homes/lots with the original builder more than the newer stuff they have done in the past 10 years but that's all just preference I guess. The neighborhood is very reasonably priced for what you can get imo too.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,460,639 times
We live in Planter's Row. We have been here 10 years this summer. We choose Mauldin Middle as our school choice because we weren't happy with Hillcrest Middle's academics. You are much better off at MMS. If your children are already enrolled at MMS they can choose to stay there when you move but you will have to provide transportation back/forth for your children.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:55 PM

46 posts, read 66,165 times
myrc60,

Did your kids end up at Mauldin High? Are there lots of kids? There is a bus route for the high school isn't there?

I have one that will transfer to MHS next year so I am not worried about him. But I have another that will be in middle school for two more years. I am totally concerned with Hillcrest. My kids hear "rumors" about it and my youngest really doesn't want to go there. But when we look at houses in the MMS area alone the inventory is so small and the homes are much older.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 05:18 PM

6,893 posts, read 22,460,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisyrlm View Post
myrc60,

Did your kids end up at Mauldin High? Are there lots of kids? There is a bus route for the high school isn't there?

I have one that will transfer to MHS next year so I am not worried about him. But I have another that will be in middle school for two more years. I am totally concerned with Hillcrest. My kids hear "rumors" about it and my youngest really doesn't want to go there. But when we look at houses in the MMS area alone the inventory is so small and the homes are much older.

Thanks!
Yes, I have a sophmore at MHS now and another that grad in 2007. We didn't live here when the oldest went to middle school but we also heard some of those bad things about HMS and (this was the biggest reason for us) their band program wasn't what we were looking for. My Mom & Dad (RIP) bought in MMS zone so we would have pulled some strings to get our son there if we had to but it wasn't necessary, he was accepted the 1st year and the 2 years afterwards.

Yes, there is a bus that goes to MHS and HMS from Planter's Row but we don't use it (musical instruments cause problems on the bus). Have you seen the condition of the buses in this area? We feel safer, transporting our kids ourselves.

I can't speak for the amount of kids here. We live on the last street of Planter's Row in our direction and my son isn't too social and there are few kids his age on this street. But I will offer this...MHS just told us the buses were too full to allow children to ride a bus they aren't assigned to! Our oldest took the bus from MHS once and said...never again!

Another thought: when our children want to go to their friend's houses they are usually closer to MMS than where we live! Our oldest once had a friend that lived in Five Forks area. That's some drive from here!

With all that said...we like it here. I think someday there is somewhere else around town I'd like to live but it will be a long time before I move again.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:42 PM

5,477 posts, read 8,274,226 times
My kids attend Hillcrest Middle and High. They aren't having any issues. You guys don't know what bad is. No offense.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:16 AM

46 posts, read 72,048 times
Daisyrlm. I live in the Vineyard part of Planters Row. It's not the friendliest community ever. In fact, things seem to have been going south a bit in that department over the years. However, I'm a shift-working introvert, so I'm probably not one to talk (think that guy from Wilfred). The pool is nice, however! I think when it comes to a modestly priced starter home this would be a good place to live. I don't have kids, so I can't address that issue. And nobody here is evil or anything, it's just that I don't feel the sense of community that I used to. Others may want to chime in on that one.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:21 AM

Yeah I guess it really depends on your immediate neighbors in a neighborhood like this. We live in a cul-de-sac and we get along really well with the other people in our cul-de-sac so that really helps us. We don't really "hang out" or anything at each other's houses as my wife and I are by far the youngest and have no kids so our interests and schedules don't overlap a lot but whenever we are outside we talk and get along well. We walk our dog and occasionally talk to some of the other dog-walkers we pass. We have not lived here long enough to compare a previous sense of community to now though.

I've actually never been to the pool in the 3 years we've been here. I should make an effort to do that this summer. I do definitely agree that the neighborhood is modestly priced which attracted us for our first house

Liked the Wilfred reference btw.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:25 AM

684 posts, read 1,180,572 times
I love planters row! I drive around there on trash pickip day and pickup all sorts of goodies!

(Ok, I don't but I hear someone does in a white truck)

Old 02-01-2013, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohtalim View Post
I love planters row! I drive around there on trash pickip day and pickup all sorts of goodies!

(Ok, I don't but I hear someone does in a white truck)
haha yes..I have seen that a handful of times now. It doesn't bother me AT ALL if someone picks up something that is sitting out (like a chair or a grill or something) because often they aren't much worse quality than something at Goodwill or Salvation Army or something; it's just that someone didn't feel like hauling it there. But I have seen them open people's trash and recycling containers a couple times and while it is not technically illegal I think that is sketchy. But I've also seen people doing that in nice neighborhoods downtown too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area