Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2013, 10:16 AM

12 posts, read 16,124 times

Advertisements

Dear SCDHEC: Please fix your air quality monitoring stations!

Dear Everyone suffering from asthma or allergies: Don't go by the Air Now map to tell you how clean SC air is, the monitors are broken most of the time. If Atlanta is having a yellow day, chances are Upstate SC is, too.

Also, we have some of the deadliest air pollution in the country here. And the pollen is brutal!

Proof: http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

And just to make sure someone will want to sue me (haha good luck, I'm judgement proof!) Spartanburg well deserves its reputation as one of the most dangerous cities in America.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2013, 04:37 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,140,749 times
Some People. Unhappy here? Move!

Old 02-07-2013, 06:25 PM

266 posts, read 301,550 times
Sounds like the OP is currently housed in Spartanburg Detention!

Old 02-08-2013, 04:09 AM

745 posts, read 2,234,981 times
Curse the darkness, or light a candle- your call. No place is ideal for everyone; you really should consider moving for your own sake. After 30 years, I've had all of FL I could take. I don't go on the FL sub-forums and complain- I just moved away.

Old 02-09-2013, 08:39 AM

6,219 posts, read 5,952,404 times
To summarize the linked article: SC has air quality problems related to the use of older coal-fired plants, improvements are being made, there are plans for future improvements including retiring the older plants and upgrading technology, this will result in increased energy costs to the consumer. The headline is somewhat misleading, since the "even as" seems to imply that the efforts being made are not having an impact. This doesn't move the upstate from the top of my lists for semi-retirement in a few years. Note that VA is rated as a little worse than SC ... say what? I was born in Virginia, and lived in Charlottesville as an adult for five years, and have been all over the state. I've never encountered what I'd call a really bad air situation in VA, like I have in states like OH and WV. Their data seems suspect to me, and I have to wonder if their motives are more political than scientific.

I've read all your posts ... they're all about how miserable the climate and air in the upstate is ... what would you like to see happen: for people like me to not move to the upstate? For people who live in the upstate to move away? For pollen in the air to go away and the humidity magically change? For someone to show you a way out? I hate living in IL, mostly because of the climate, the financial state of the state, and the political climate ... but I can't really do anything about them. The solution for me is to figure out a way to move somewhere warmer, with better financial prospects, and with a less radically progressive political climate. Finding a better place seems like a good strategy for someone who's deeply unhappy with the place they're living.

Old 02-09-2013, 12:55 PM

214 posts, read 301,840 times
Out of all of the places I've lived, the ONLY place where I had consistent asthma problems was when I lived in San Francisco. Detroit/suburbs come in next, but it's usually just for a few days in the summer or when they are having a bad inversion layer going on in the winter.

The pollen sucks here (especially for those of us with pine allergies), but there have been very few times when I've had actual problems breathing.

I'd rather deal with my severe allergies than have no trees or plants.

Old 02-09-2013, 01:11 PM

596 posts, read 938,819 times
you got to wonder about the mental state of somebody with the screenname "sick all the time". LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area