Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2013, 07:43 PM

31 posts, read 45,170 times

Advertisements

Moving in January from long island ny to Greenville, sc. We have decided already on Avana at Carolina point, right off Woodruff Road. If anyone can tell me more about it that I may not have seen or been told by the leasing agents that would be appreciated. I'll be renting a 2 bed 2 bath with a balcony instead of a sunroom.
Also does anyone know of any places where dogs can go swimming in the area? My amstaff loves swimming in lakes but I have heard most of the lakes down there have water moccasins that will kill him with in minutes. (hopefully an exaggeration) Avana has a dog park but no place for him to swim. I also found a few local public dog parks yet, still no place for him to go swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2013, 07:46 PM

5,999 posts, read 7,101,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbeardreamer View Post
Moving in January from long island ny to Greenville, sc. We have decided already on Avana at Carolina point, right off Woodruff Road. If anyone can tell me more about it that I may not have seen or been told by the leasing agents that would be appreciated. I'll be renting a 2 bed 2 bath with a balcony instead of a sunroom.
Also does anyone know of any places where dogs can go swimming in the area? My amstaff loves swimming in lakes but I have heard most of the lakes down there have water moccasins that will kill him with in minutes. (hopefully an exaggeration) Avana has a dog park but no place for him to swim. I also found a few local public dog parks yet, still no place for him to go swimming.
Location, location, location. You can do something that very few people in Greenville ca do; walk to places. Whole Foods, Chipotle, etc are less than a .5 mile walk.

Old 10-28-2013, 08:03 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,804,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poohbeardreamer View Post
That apartment complex which is fairly new is right in the heart of everything. You'll love it. Shops at Greenridge (PF Changs, Best Buy, Dick's Sporting Goods, Lowe's, Panera, Barnes & Noble, Petsmart, etc.) and the Point (REI, Whole Foods Market, Chipotle, Petco, etc.) are within easy walking distance.

Water moccasins or Cottonmouths do not live northwest of the midlands in South Carolina generally. Seeing a Cottonmouth in the upstate would be like seeing an alligator here. A lot of people get this mistaken.

Old 10-29-2013, 07:13 AM

7 posts, read 12,910 times
I currently rent a one bedroom at avana and its been great. My first experience renting. We moved down from NJ last novemeber and havent had any issues. Being off woodruff road is great for shops but soooo busy 90% of the time. Just learn to do your shopping early in the morning.

Old 10-29-2013, 08:49 AM

9,503 posts, read 9,828,252 times
Coming from Long Island, you will feel right at home with the traffic on Woodruff Road. It is Greenville's major shopping corridor and the road was not built for the traffic. But if you are used to that, you shouldn't mind it too much. It is a great location to live. Welcome to South Carolina!

Old 10-29-2013, 09:41 AM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,524 times
Congrats! Glad you found complex you are comfortable with. It is from my memory a very busy area over there. Keep in mind one thing that is different from LI is the road are very hilly. May mean nothing to people living there but coming from LI you will notice it.

Old 10-29-2013, 10:57 AM

723 posts, read 1,150,221 times
I hope you will love it here in the Upstate. You definitely need to visit the DuPont State Forest near Cedar Mountain, North Carolina, just a scant one-hour drive north of Greenville. A blog on the CarolinaMountainDog.com Web site accurately reports that "DuPont State Forest, located between Hendersonville and Brevard, NC, is a hiker, biker, and dog owner's paradise. This 10,000-acre forest has numerous outstanding trails (some of the best mountain biking trails anywhere), waterfalls, lakes, and dense, cool forest. It definitely qualifies as a premier Canine Cruisin' destination..." Dogs are allowed if on leash or "under the control of the owner or some other person." In other words, if your pooch responds to voice commands, it does not need to be tethered. The same Web site mentions a number of other dog-friendly recreational areas in North and South Carolina, some of which have, or are near, water features. See also hikewithyourdog: DuPont State Forest

Old 10-29-2013, 12:53 PM

2,033 posts, read 3,209,524 times
Sorry did not think of this before. Hope it is not too late, unless you signed a lease. If I recall on a different thread you mentioned wanting 2 stories. Another option is to look to rent privately. When we were thinking to stay for a few more years (for his job) we started looking at a new Townhome community. Many I guess were purchased by investors and are for rent. One we almost took before he was able to transfer was called Cobblestone Cove. Was located off Butler on Ashmore Bridge. Considered Mauldin I Believe.

Old 10-30-2013, 05:57 PM

49 posts, read 81,874 times
We lived there in that exact style unit for almost two years. Generally we really liked it - the staff left people alone and most residents were in similar situations - moving from out of state and in housing transition. The location is the best out of downtown, in our opinion. Close to Woodruff, great sidewalks/bike lane if you're active, easy onto i-85 (north or south), etc.

We also had 2 dogs and the dog park at Avana was NOT where we took ours. Many of the other residents did not understand the purpose of those bags and trash cans around, and therefore the dog park was mostly unsanitary (that was our biggest complaint about the community - they did not enforce cleaning up after your pets). The field across the street at TD Bank was a great place for the dogs to run. Ours don't swim, so I cannot help with that. I do think, though, that Top Dog on Roper Mountain Road and Garlington (super close) has a pool for dogs.

Good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area