Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2013, 10:11 AM

98 posts, read 200,870 times

Advertisements

We are looking at a move to Spartanburg in the next 30-60 days for hubby to finish his degree. I am not familiar with the area & we are looking for a good place to rent & a good job for hubby (I'm a SAHM). I was told that housing on the Greenville side of S'burg was cheaper, better, & safer?

If you have any contacts for jobs or rentals (esp. a rental through a private route instead of a company) please be so kind as to let me know! Also if you have any "need-to-know" facts about living in S'burg, please share!

(We are looking for a house with a yard --first choice; townhome--2nd choice. Min 2bed/1.5ba. Pets must be welcome.)

as far as jobs, hubby will take anything that will pay well to start!

Thanks again!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2013, 10:49 AM

6,898 posts, read 22,582,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ps1819grits View Post
We are looking at a move to Spartanburg in the next 30-60 days for hubby to finish his degree. I am not familiar with the area & we are looking for a good place to rent & a good job for hubby (I'm a SAHM). I was told that housing on the Greenville side of S'burg was cheaper, better, & safer?

If you have any contacts for jobs or rentals (esp. a rental through a private route instead of a company) please be so kind as to let me know! Also if you have any "need-to-know" facts about living in S'burg, please share!

(We are looking for a house with a yard --first choice; townhome--2nd choice. Min 2bed/1.5ba. Pets must be welcome.)

as far as jobs, hubby will take anything that will pay well to start!

Thanks again!!
Minimum wage in South Carolina is $7.25/hr. If he doesn't have experience doing something he won't make much more than that. Can he build cars? If so, BMW is in Spartanburg/Greer but he might have to work nights and will not be hired by BMW but through a staffing agency.

Old 02-17-2013, 05:58 AM

20 posts, read 64,214 times
OK, not sure who told you what but alot depends on where he is attending school and work plus if you are trying to get best school district. The East side of Spartanburg has a small town feel with some older established family oriented safe neighborhoods. Fernwood and Hillbrook neighborhoods come to mind but both are in school District 7. IMO if in this area I would try to get out of the city limits for school district 3. The Boiling Springs area which is very growth oriented and near most of the Universities and has a good school district. I would avoid downtown and South Spartanburg. The West side of Spartanburg has more congestion and crime. As to the Greenville side of Spartanburg, I assume someone was trying to lead you toward Greer or Simpsonville areas. Both of these area are nice and really growing. They are close to downtown Greenville which is a very nice area. However, neither are close to the Universities in Spartanburg.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:49 AM

98 posts, read 200,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurnerTrading View Post
OK, not sure who told you what but alot depends on where he is attending school and work plus if you are trying to get best school district. The East side of Spartanburg has a small town feel with some older established family oriented safe neighborhoods. Fernwood and Hillbrook neighborhoods come to mind but both are in school District 7. IMO if in this area I would try to get out of the city limits for school district 3. The Boiling Springs area which is very growth oriented and near most of the Universities and has a good school district. I would avoid downtown and South Spartanburg. The West side of Spartanburg has more congestion and crime. As to the Greenville side of Spartanburg, I assume someone was trying to lead you toward Greer or Simpsonville areas. Both of these area are nice and really growing. They are close to downtown Greenville which is a very nice area. However, neither are close to the Universities in Spartanburg.

He will be going to Spartanburg Community College. We are not worried about what school district as our LO is only 3 mo old (and we don't plan to be there long-term). Boiling Springs area? Will look into that area. Up to thirty minutes away from the school will probably be fine, although I have no idea what traffic is like there. Greer seemed like a nice little area (via internet) but I think Simpsonville might be too far with traffic (again, I can only imagine traffic as I have never lived there).

Thanks for the help!!

Old 02-17-2013, 08:03 PM

1,249 posts, read 1,740,102 times
We found a person who rented to us with pets on Craigslist. We found him a lot more flexible than the rental companies, given that we had pets. I was never a big Craigslist fan but this worked out great.

Old 02-17-2013, 09:49 PM

21,035 posts, read 27,400,745 times
I would advise looking into Inman or Duncan/Lyman/Startex/Wellford. Between the two, Inman feels like a smaller community and would be a little quieter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area