Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2013, 06:01 PM

1,329 posts, read 1,102,609 times

Advertisements

Sprawl repair : Getting density right in Greenville

Most People (including Gen-Y) still want cars, and they want single-family homes.

Even so, there is a move towards greater density : and that requires some redesign of homes.

Here's some work on Sprawl repaid that was done for Greenville:

CNU 20 - Sprawl Repair and Infill: From Incremental to Wetrofit to Agriculture - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2013, 06:02 PM

Without more and better Mass Transit, cars will remain an essential part of the design kit...

Except maybe in downtown where there is a large walkable area

Old 02-17-2013, 06:04 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,776,888 times
It's all part of Agenda 21.

Old 02-17-2013, 06:14 PM

The idea is to get FREE from the need for an automobile (or at least reduce the use),
and reduce the cash drain, and the huge expense required to maintain sprawl.
Those who rely on cars, or use them heavily are "sitting ducks" for future oilo price increases.

If anyone thinks that American can go on using almost 20% of the world's oil, I wonder what planet they live on? It must be one where the seas are full of petroleum

If you bother to listen to the presentations, there are many good ideas

Old 02-17-2013, 06:38 PM

1,016 posts, read 2,136,925 times
I have been to Hong Kong. Have you been to Greenville?

Old 02-17-2013, 06:51 PM

Indeed I have.
Have you read the thread about Carfree-Greenville ?

There you can find a letter I sent to the bus company, and copied the Mayor.

BTW, one reason that architects are talking about sprawl repair, is that they cannot make money these days selling traditional suburban homes. There is too much supply (of that sort of product) at lower prices.

People want to drive less, and live in different sorts of neighborhoods - all over the world, and now even in places like Greenville.

Old 02-18-2013, 01:32 AM

57 posts, read 141,921 times
I'll fix it for ya', can I put a trailer park next to your house?

Old 02-18-2013, 01:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Early Grayce View Post
I'll fix it for ya', can I put a trailer park next to your house?
Ha... ha.
The good news is that some serious folk want to improve life in Greenville by making it more walkable, while adding a more effective transportation network.

Even if you do not want to live carfree yourself, you may agree that a better bus system, and maybe eventually a light rail system could be a great insurance policy against a future rise in oil prices.

Old 02-18-2013, 05:44 AM

1,016 posts, read 2,136,925 times
No, I do not want to ride a bus. I own a brand new Ford truck that I love to drive. I can afford to drive it and would not trade that for sitting beside someone on a bus talking loudly on a cell phone. It is all about freedom of choice. As I said, I have been to Hong Kong and can not imagine living in that congested, one of top of the other mess.

Old 02-18-2013, 06:17 AM

12,380 posts, read 26,840,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geologic View Post
Ha... ha.
The good news is that some serious folk want to improve life in Greenville by making it more walkable, while adding a more effective transportation network.

Even if you do not want to live carfree yourself, you may agree that a better bus system, and maybe eventually a light rail system could be a great insurance policy against a future rise in oil prices.
I tried to explain this to them , but Southerns in General are hard to change and are wired to their cars. You should come up to the Northeast and more so New England where 30 million of us take Mass Transit/Walk/Bike to Work each day....and their expanding the Transit network and bikeway system.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area