Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2013, 09:19 AM

113 posts, read 244,876 times

Advertisements

Love the location, just haven't tried the food yet!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2013, 10:27 AM

170 posts, read 355,970 times
The food is good, not the best I've ever eaten but I'll go back. I thought the prices reasonable for a hotel restaurant. I have been twice, for dinner and Sunday brunch, where I ordered off the menu instead of off the buffet. 4oz wines pours were a bit off putting but the wine and beer cave is a really interesting part of the ambience. My complaints. The chandeliers with the big bunches of light bulbs are glaring and the booths are uncomfortable. That may get better once the pillows they provide you get broken in. Also, since it is open to the hotel lobby there is a draw and if can be a bit breezy and chilly. I recommend trying it.

Old 02-20-2013, 11:57 AM

1,289 posts, read 2,577,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CNCGirl View Post
The food is good, not the best I've ever eaten but I'll go back. I thought the prices reasonable for a hotel restaurant. I have been twice, for dinner and Sunday brunch, where I ordered off the menu instead of off the buffet. 4oz wines pours were a bit off putting but the wine and beer cave is a really interesting part of the ambience. My complaints. The chandeliers with the big bunches of light bulbs are glaring and the booths are uncomfortable. That may get better once the pillows they provide you get broken in. Also, since it is open to the hotel lobby there is a draw and if can be a bit breezy and chilly. I recommend trying it.
Are you sure you're talking about Roost, which is on Main Street and opens to the Hyatt Plaza?

Old 02-20-2013, 12:59 PM

170 posts, read 355,970 times
Well, yes. I have been there twice. What makes you think I have not been there?

Old 02-22-2013, 08:40 PM

113 posts, read 244,876 times
Went tonight. Give it a solid 6.

Old 03-05-2013, 07:25 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,793,158 times
I have been there three times now, and had three different experiences.

The first time was dinner on the weekend. The food and service were great. I had one of the best burgers I've ever had - pink in the middle, juicy, fresh bun, just the right amount of pimento cheese, accompanied with hand-cut fries with a little garlic and truffle oil. Delish!

I met someone there for lunch during the week, and ordered the burger again. It was horrible. A tiny burnt little patty that tasted like charcoal. Premade frozen fries just drowned in garlic. I left with the lovely flavor combination of charcoal and garlic in my mouth. I was embarrassed for suggesting this place and had to apologize to my friend who I met there.

The third visit was for drinks after work. We had some amazing cocktails and the bartenders seem to know their stuff. The appetizers were also quite good, but we had no entrees.

The service was great all three times.

They clearly have some quality-control issues to resolve. It's hard to plan on going to a restaurant when you have to wonder which restaurant you'll get that day.

But we will be going back. They seem to be embracing the farm-to-table concept (although I haven't checked out all their food sources yet, they use Greenbrier Farm, Happy Cow, and Split Creek which is a great start!).

Something to keep in mind in these farm-to-table restaurants is that the menu should be changing a lot as the seasons change. If a restaurant has the same menu all year long (like the 301 restaurants do), they ain't farm-to-table, no matter what their advertising suggests. Using a few veggies from your garden in the summer doesn't cut it, Soby's.

Expect fewer options in the dead of winter. Because it's called the dead of winter for a reason.

Old 03-05-2013, 12:19 PM

241 posts, read 386,876 times
Default we liked it

We went as a family and really liked it.

The flatbread pizzas were really good (and a super value at happy hour). We sat at the open kitchen bar and our young daughter loved watching the cooks at work.

They've still got some kinks to work out (at 5pm, host told us we didn't need to put our names down to get seated at 5:30... then at 5:30 they said there was nothing available because we didn't put our names down... it worked out in the end, but the confusion was unnecessary).

Overally, we had a great time; will definitely go back. It is not as good as American Grocery, but it is much cheaper. Our go-to place is usually the Lazy Goat, but I know that menu by heart already. Roost is a welcome change!

Old 03-05-2013, 04:43 PM

85 posts, read 144,871 times
We ate the brunch on Saturday morning and it was excellent, a little pricey, but worth it for a special occasion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area