Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 08:22 AM

596 posts, read 937,571 times

Advertisements

i think ppl think Asheville is liberal b/c there are a lot of gay pride parades and in the past there were hippie anti-war protests downtown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2013, 08:27 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,792,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post

The article even admits that Asheville is in the top 25% as far as cost of living goes which is a weakness. I

Small Cities for Retirement - Best Charming Places - AARP
I like how right next to that statement it says that the costs of living in Asheville is "below average."

I think it goes to show that these lists are slapped together by writers who are not getting paid very well. And yes, advertising and politics play a role, too.

And while there is a very significant proportion of "liberal" people in Asheville, especially when compared to Greenville, there is also quite a mix of folks and opinions there, too.

Old 02-22-2013, 02:45 PM

4,232 posts, read 6,907,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emilybh View Post
The appearance of the downtown area certainly doesn't suggest a bustling business center either. It seemed a little unkempt the last time I was there. Although it did seem that all the store fronts were occupied. I didn't see any empty retail spaces or "going out of business signs".
I've been there countless times growing up in NC and then having a sister that went to college there and lived there until very recently. Their downtown seems to always be thriving. Summer, Winter, snow, or sunshine when I've been there, there are tons of people out and about, fantastic restaurants packed with lines outside, all kinds of local-made craft stores, vintage shops, music shops, confection stores, coffee shops, one of the absolute best music venues anywhere in the Carolinas, some of my favorite bars in the Carolinas, street performers and just a good overall vibe. They even have some stores in their downtown that I don't see us getting for awhile like Urban Outfitters. And imo the downtown as a whole is slightly more walkable than here.

I love downtown Greenville a lot and always invite friends and family down to stay with us so I can show it off, but downtown Asheville is absolutely fantastic too and I visit when I can. I can't find hardly anything I'd knock it for other than winter weather. There are things I like better about both Greenville and Asheville. Two things Asheville has Greenville beat on are music and then general walkability. The music is the big one though. My biggest complaint about our downtown is the lack of a strong music scene. Greenville has a music scene, but it is by far the weakest out of any area I have lived which is disappointing.

Old 02-22-2013, 10:12 PM

1,892 posts, read 3,085,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
I responded to a post that included the topic at hand (AARP and Asheville), as did my post. Can we comment on here with out the personal stuff? Please?

Reading this thread with an open mind, I would say that you brought the edge to this discussion. Personally I don't think you are as well read as you could be on some subjects you brought up.

But it is a forum and we are here to share opinions, views and thoughts.

Please don't take this as anything but a suggestion to re-read your own words.

Namaste,
Just, raj

Old 02-27-2013, 06:01 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
i think ppl think Asheville is liberal b/c there are a lot of gay pride parades and in the past there were hippie anti-war protests downtown.
Maybe Greenville is too Neo-con then (to have been chosen).

Greenville must either be too liberal in support of anything Obama or too NeoCon in favor of a "strong defense" which translated means keeping any and all wars going-- and in support of starting new ones - just like Obama has been doing on his own via executive order.

Hmm. Seems like Obama liberals nestle in pretty well with Republican Neo-cons. (I thought there was supposed to be a "difference" between Republicans and Democrats.)

Old 02-27-2013, 06:08 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,455,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamiecta View Post
I've been there countless times growing up in NC and then having a sister that went to college there and lived there until very recently. Their downtown seems to always be thriving. Summer, Winter, snow, or sunshine when I've been there, there are tons of people out and about, fantastic restaurants packed with lines outside, all kinds of local-made craft stores, vintage shops, music shops, confection stores, coffee shops, one of the absolute best music venues anywhere in the Carolinas, some of my favorite bars in the Carolinas, street performers and just a good overall vibe. They even have some stores in their downtown that I don't see us getting for awhile like Urban Outfitters. And imo the downtown as a whole is slightly more walkable than here.

I love downtown Greenville a lot and always invite friends and family down to stay with us so I can show it off, but downtown Asheville is absolutely fantastic too and I visit when I can. I can't find hardly anything I'd knock it for other than winter weather. There are things I like better about both Greenville and Asheville. Two things Asheville has Greenville beat on are music and then general walkability. The music is the big one though. My biggest complaint about our downtown is the lack of a strong music scene. Greenville has a music scene, but it is by far the weakest out of any area I have lived which is disappointing.
Also don't forget Asheville beats Greenville for good restaurants as you have already mentioned (and I bet for farmers' markets). Darn. I wish Asheville was just 20 minutes away. Your description makes me want to go there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area