U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 08:58 AM

183 posts, read 285,216 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have an idea of what the value of a Clemson MBA Is? I'm considering attending the downtown program and want to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. From what I understand it is going to be 4 floors in the One development and modeled after an ivy league program.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2013, 10:25 AM

723 posts, read 1,066,042 times
The Clemson MBA program has been housed in the former Bowater building overlooking the Reedy River falls. See Clemson At The Falls | Greenville, SC As you stated, it will be moving soon to the One project, where it will "occupy floors five through eight and also have 1,200 square feet on the ground floor," according to GSA Business. Meanwhile, USC's Darla Moore Business School is supposed to be moving its Professional MBA program from the University Center to downtown's Riverplace development. GSA Business reports, "The new construction on the bottom floor will enable USC to occupy two classrooms, a small office and a student lounge."

Both schools offer very good programs. I don't want to engage in a garnet-versus-orange debate, so you might want to look at how the two ranks in the US News list of the best business schools: Best Business School Rankings | MBA Program Rankings | US News for full time or Best Part Time MBA Programs | Top Business Schools | US News Best Graduate Schools for part time.

Old 03-08-2013, 12:25 PM

11,535 posts, read 23,310,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
Does anyone have an idea of what the value of a Clemson MBA Is? I'm considering attending the downtown program and want to get a feel for what I'm getting myself into. From what I understand it is going to be 4 floors in the One development and modeled after an ivy league program.
Here is the site plan for the different floors of their complex at ONE: http://media.clemson.edu/facilities/...M/drawings.pdf

Old 03-08-2013, 03:29 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,352,001 times
Wow. Some of you need to GROW UP. Get back to the topic of what the OP asked and stop bickering like toddlers.

I thought about attending the school for my MBA. However, many people have told me not to pursue an MBA with the way the economy is. If you really think it will help in the long-run, go for it. But I have a great job that I can eventually be promoted from within and all it requires is a bachelors degree.

Old 03-08-2013, 03:41 PM

505 posts, read 890,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLWold View Post
Wow. Some of you need to GROW UP. Get back to the topic of what the OP asked and stop bickering like toddlers.
I agree, but experience with certain participants tells me that this will go on for a while.

I would love to get an MBA, but it wouldn't help me personally. I already have a CPA license, so the MBA would be just very expensive resume padding. Doesn't mean I wouldn't enjoy the learning experience.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:16 PM

Thank you for all the spirited feedback My situation is this, I have been working over the last three years for a franchised retailer that is currently going through a rapid expansion. The owners of the company are amazing people that made me believe that I would rather work for a small business than anything in the corporate world or federal government which is also an option for me. I started as a store manager and within the first 10 months I was moved to a district operations/sales manager position over 5 stores. I remained in that position for a total of 9 months before being transferred into a regional sales manager position which was one slot in the chain of command below the owners and placed me in charge of 10 locations which comprised 2 districts. This appointment lasted for the last 14 1/2 months that I have been with the company. The reason I am looking to go back to school is that our latest expansion has included the purchase of our franchiser's other large player in our market. This type of work place does not come without it's challenges. With this purchase came the hiring of the purchased companies former owner who has been moved into a VP of sales position over all of the locations making my position as a regional manager redundant. As such I have been offered a district manager position in the newly acquired stores to our north at a pay rate less than what I had been making before. I intend to take the position but am in a pretty bad financial pickle due to the change in money. I am also a veteran of the Army where I served for 4 years as an infantryman during the Iraq war. Because of my service I am eligible for 20 months of educational benefits under the post 9/11 Montgomery GI bill which provides a BAH that would bring my finances back to a manageable scenario. I would like to pursue a position as a COO when such a need would arise as the company continues to grow and I was thinking that an MBA might provide me with some of the needed skills for the job. I basically have two options as far as schools go, the Southern Wesleyan evening MBA adult education program and the downtown Clemson MBA program. I do not see myself needing to use the degree for padding on a resume or as pedigree for job hunting as I really love my company and especially the people I work for and with. Bottom line, I need to go back to school for the money I get for going and the practical skills I will be taught.

Other information:

2008 2 yr degree from Greenville Tech in Management GPA 3.9
2011 Bachelors of Science in Business Administration from Southern Wesleyan GPA 3.5

Three years experience in management with a peak of around 35 employees that I was responsible for.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:21 PM

What would be the risky part? My job is in retail sales management and operations. I would be lying if I didn't say that the difficulty of the program is something I am concerned about. Is that what you mean?

Old 03-08-2013, 04:33 PM

596 posts, read 885,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNY2GRNVL View Post
What would be the risky part? My job is in retail sales management and operations. I would be lying if I didn't say that the difficulty of the program is something I am concerned about. Is that what you mean?
You talked about practical skills, based on what I hear about MBA programs, you MAY not learn any practical skills. It could round out your knowledge but it MAY not be useful for your job.

You have two degrees already it appears so I don't think it is something you can't do. A lot of companies will pay for it these days, so you could try to go that route.

I would probably only do a MBA program if I thought it could land me a job that I could not otherwise get.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwampFox35 View Post
You talked about practical skills, based on what I hear about MBA programs, you MAY not learn any practical skills. It could round out your knowledge but it MAY not be useful for your job.

You have two degrees already it appears so I don't think it is something you can't do. A lot of companies will pay for it these days, so you could try to go that route.
Okay, thank you for the insight.

Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM

As someone who does a ton of hiring as part of his job I can attest to the idea that there are a lot of MBA's out there that don't hold a lot of water unless the goal is to apply for a government job where you have to have it. However, I do not see any MBA's applying with us (store manager and sales rep positions that do not pay MBA money) from the higher level schools such as Clemson, Furman or USC leading me to believe that degrees from these institutions might be better than the others. But again, at the end of the day I do not intend to leave my company so I really need to go to school for practical skills. I was even thinking that because I already have many of the courses completed for a finance degree done it might be wise for me to go that route and maybe have a dual bachelors degree, one in finance and the other in business administration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area