U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2013, 06:58 PM

475 posts, read 791,920 times

Advertisements

Hello I was recently offered a possible position with BMW I just had a phone interview today actually from my home in Virginia. I am an ASE certified automotive technician by trade and a licensed vehicle inspector through the Virginia department of State Police.

The company that actually contacted me for this job was Formel D, a contract based company out of Germany who does contract work with BMW in Greenville. it was pretty neat to get a phone call from Germany about a possible job opportunity. After that phone call I was put in contact with their people in SC.

Greenville seems nice from what I read, the opportunity to come work with BMW seems pretty good, during my time with Honda I did go through their tech programs but BMW would enhance the resume I believe and their tech schools are some of the best in the industry, it is my understanding that I would be getting some BMW factory training that would definitely compliment my prior tech schools and military background.

I do believe Greenville is the largest city in South Carolina, is within 40 minutes of Charlotte NC, and home to either Clemson or Auburn?

Anyways I was just curious on what ya'll thought about this, I am currently employed, work as a technician with TBC Corporation, a national automotive service chain. Anyways thanks for listening and hoping to get some feedback on this.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2013, 07:04 PM

684 posts, read 1,086,765 times
Try Wikipedia for general unbiased information about Greenville. All the questions you asked could be found there or say, google maps. As for BMW feedback as a technician, you should give glassdoor.com a looksee.

Old 03-22-2013, 07:12 PM

Gotcha

Old 03-22-2013, 08:02 PM

1,289 posts, read 2,397,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven r. View Post
I do believe Greenville is the largest city in South Carolina, is within 40 minutes of Charlotte NC, and home to either Clemson or Auburn?
Few things about Greenville: It is not the largest city, but it is in the largest metropolitan area in the state. Charlotte is about 90 minutes away, give or take. And, Clemson University is about 30 minutes southwest of Greenville's downtown. There's some incredible lakes in this area.

Take a trip down, check out Greenville, and consider what this area has to offer. It may or may not suit you, but it's certainly worth the look if you can land a job.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:08 PM

Is Greenville close to Fort Mill or Columbia?

Old 03-22-2013, 08:15 PM

5,099 posts, read 7,276,987 times
Quote:
Is Greenville close to Fort Mill or Columbia?
It's not too far. About 90 or 100 miles to both. Greenville to Columbia is all interstate.

Old 03-22-2013, 08:51 PM

I've been in the automotive industry for a long time, love the work and car people are good folks. I don't know my wife has a career of her own and I can't just make this all about me. BMW would add a nice touch to my experience and after my military career came to an end I went into the industry because of my pathetic obsession with cars. I will have to come down and recon the area and see what this BMW job is really about. Like I said I have been gainfully employed pretty much my whole life so it's not like I'm desperate for work, I didn't even know this job existed until I received that first phone call. BMW is a good company and makes an amazing automobile. I think for the factory schools alone the job would be worth it. But I've been to a few of those through both Chrysler and Honda and Goodyear for braking systems down at the training center in Orlando. Scary thing is you wont know until you do it, I know what I have here in Virginia, the only thing I know about SC is that my old friend from high school lives in Fort Mill and my niece used to live in Columbia. I've visited both those places, I liked Columbia and Fort Mill seemed like a nice community as well

Old 03-22-2013, 10:17 PM

113 posts, read 229,078 times
BMW is a great place to work from what I hear. My wife and I moved down here from Northern VA a few years back and haven't looked back. We love it here.

Old 03-23-2013, 08:26 AM

348 posts, read 446,711 times
Quote:
I've been in the automotive industry for a long time, love the work and car people are good folks. I don't know my wife has a career of her own and I can't just make this all about me. BMW would add a nice touch to my experience and after my military career came to an end I went into the industry because of my pathetic obsession with cars. I will have to come down and recon the area and see what this BMW job is really about. Like I said I have been gainfully employed pretty much my whole life so it's not like I'm desperate for work, I didn't even know this job existed until I received that first phone call. BMW is a good company and makes an amazing automobile. I think for the factory schools alone the job would be worth it. But I've been to a few of those through both Chrysler and Honda and Goodyear for braking systems down at the training center in Orlando. Scary thing is you wont know until you do it, I know what I have here in Virginia, the only thing I know about SC is that my old friend from high school lives in Fort Mill and my niece used to live in Columbia. I've visited both those places, I liked Columbia and Fort Mill seemed like a nice community as well

I have to believe the TAXES will be lower here. A cooler climate (IMHO) than Columbia and closer to the mountains. There is an abundance of things to do and it is people friendly! Relocated to the Greenville area 4 years back from Pennsylvania and we love it also!

Old 03-25-2013, 12:13 AM

1,676 posts, read 3,018,216 times
Quote:
If one were to draw an arc from eastern TN down through Appalachia, with Greenville being the eastern boundary and Chattanooga being the kinda western one, and then a straight line across the northern tiers of AL and MS, this region has become a mecca for international auto manufacturers. VW is opening a plant in Chattanooga, in fact they may have already done so within the last year, I just haven't checked up on that one.

A friend works in the welding shop there at BMW, he's worked at BMW since '01 and loves it. Had a guaranteed job there out of the service. Overall they've treated him very well.

Transmission mfr ZF is here now (Laurens), plus there are many other suppliers around here, for BMW and many other international auto manufacturers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area