U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2013, 01:19 PM

3 posts, read 3,005 times

Advertisements

I am a single, older woman expecting to move to Greenville soon with two dogs. They do well on leash, either walking or biking. I would like to find a safe, quiet neighborhood where I can walk/bike the dogs in the evenings (7 - 10 p.m. year round). I would prefer to be near the Swamp Rabbit Trail or near a large park so we don't have to be on the street dodging cars in the dark. (Not interested in dog park; I need the exercise too!) I can afford a house in the $100 - 200 K range. I would also like easy access to I 85 or 385 for a short, easy commute to work. What neighborhood or area do you recommend? Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2013, 07:02 PM

15 posts, read 28,497 times
Default glad you asked!

Well, I can't help you, Phyllis, as we're still stuck in California waiting for our house to sell. But as soon as we sell it, we're headed to the Greenville area with our two big dogs -- and look forward to walking them in the very same kind of neighborhood you're asking about!

So thanks in advance to any Greenville folks who can chime in with suggestions ... and please don't hold it against us that we're moving to your beautiful area from CA!

Same as you, Phyllis, we're probably what you'd consider "older" but we're well-preserved and looking for a home of similar vintage and character on safe, quiet streets. We don't need a huge yard, but it would be nice if it were fenced and had a private feeling with a nice mix of grass and trees for our dogs to lounge around in -- in between the long, leashed walks they're used to taking with me here. We could probably swing as much as $300 for a house, but we'd rather go lower and do some cosmetic work on a nice, single story place with good bones and no major issues to correct (been there, done that don't have the funds to deal with any more money pits in our golden years...)

We've heard so many say it's great to be as close as possible to all the amenities of downtown, but we're not sure if that would be too much of a shock as we currently live in a very rural area over an hour from the nearest stoplight. We are definitely looking for a change of pace and intrigued by some of the close-in neighborhoods, though that kind of environment might take a bit of getting used to for, especially for our noise-phobic, undersocialized, rescued hound Stanley.

Can't wait to move our "pack" to a city of 4 seasons. Hoping to find something to buy fairly quickly as we really can only afford to move once, and finding a rental with two dogs totalling 140 lbs might not be all that easy.

Any and all leads are gratefully accepted! Thanks!

Old 05-02-2013, 12:04 PM

Question Good neighborhood for dogs - please help...

I posted the original post but have not yet gotten a reply from locals with info. Please help! I landed that job and I'm coming to Greenville to househunt within a few weeks. Can anyone help me know which neighborhood to choose so that I have a good, safe place to walk my dogs in the evenings? My dogs are well behaved and do well on leash. I am not looking for a park; I am looking to ramble around my neighborhood. I am looking for low crime, slow traffic, quiet streets, with a preference for sidewalks. I prefer fairly easy access to 85 or 385. Please share your knowledge of Greenville neighborhoods! Thanks.

Old 05-02-2013, 12:17 PM

4,167 posts, read 7,839,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phyllisincolorado View Post
I posted the original post but have not yet gotten a reply from locals with info. Please help! I landed that job and I'm coming to Greenville to househunt within a few weeks. Can anyone help me know which neighborhood to choose so that I have a good, safe place to walk my dogs in the evenings? My dogs are well behaved and do well on leash. I am not looking for a park; I am looking to ramble around my neighborhood. I am looking for low crime, slow traffic, quiet streets, with a preference for sidewalks. I prefer fairly easy access to 85 or 385. Please share your knowledge of Greenville neighborhoods! Thanks.
You didn't say how big your dogs are, but if a townhome works for you, take a look at Ivybrooke. Some of the backyards are fenced. Being a gated community with only local traffic, it's very walkable with dogs. It's in your price range with most units ranging $150's to $180's. It's not near the Swamp Rabbit Trail, but is very close to Pelham and I-85.

We lived there for 4 years (until Jan '13) and loved it. It's got a good mix of retirees, empty nesters and young professionals. The HOA is very well-run and has reasonable restrictions and regulations.

There are lots of resident dogs at Ivybrooke, ranging from Yorkies and Chihuahuas to Labradors and Greyhounds, and in between. The couple who bought our home has two Shelties.

One more note: It's a VERY safe neighborhood. I never felt the least bit nervous about walking my dog by myself any time of day or night. During the entire time we lived there, I never heard of any property crimes (break-ins of homes, cars, etc) or other crimes.

Last edited by roadpony; 05-02-2013 at 01:46 PM..

Old 05-02-2013, 01:20 PM

42 posts, read 71,400 times
Have you looked into North Main? The neighborhood park isn't that big, but it seems to meet your other requirements.

Old 05-03-2013, 05:49 PM

Smile Thank you

Thank you, Roadpony and Cofc2003. Two good tips and I will look into those neighborhoods. I may prefer a stand-alone house to a townhome. But I will definitely look at those two areas.

Old 05-04-2013, 04:02 AM

42 posts, read 71,400 times
There are usually 2BR stand-alone houses on the market in some of Greenville's older neighborhoods (like North Main). So that might be an option if you want something smaller/more affordable that's not a condo or townhouse.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

>