U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-06-2013, 03:30 AM

24 posts, read 37,265 times

Advertisements

Making a line from Saluda to Greenville and heading west to the Georgia line from both towns to form a box, which areas would you consider the nicest to live? We've sort of defined our search area (for now) to that rectangle. Our next step is to take a few trips down and drive around a good bit. It would be very helpful to know about any areas with wow factors and those to avoid. Let your opinions fly please.

We are pontoon boaters, beekeepers, bowhunters, and pokey motorcycle riders who have lived in a rural area just outside the Baltimore area suburbs.

We've been in the same house for 29 years. OMG! I need a dumpster badly. I refuse to move and hold a yard sale upon arrival.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2013, 05:48 AM

also, we are sick of hibernating through the winters in North Central Maryland. I do not plan to bring the snow blower

Old 05-06-2013, 07:09 AM

Location: south of downtown Greenville, SC --> moving to Greensboro, NC
1,980 posts, read 4,165,213 times
I know very little re Saluda/Lake Murray area (in fact, I had no idea that there was a town named after the river). Questions re this area would be more appropriate in the Columbia, SC sub-forum.

My advice: investigate Lakes Thurmond, Hartwell, Keowee, and Jocassee. With the exception of Hartwell, all are in rural areas. I've been to Hickory Knob State Park (with Lake Thurmond) - very nice but extremely rural - about 45 minutes to Augusta, GA (again, check that sub-forum). Very little (if any) upscale/nice restaurants, shopping, grocers in the McCormick area.

You will never need a snowblower anywhere in SC unless you are one of the handful of people that live above 3,000 feet near Caesar's Head State Park/Mountain Bridge Wilderness Area.

Old 05-06-2013, 08:50 AM

2,784 posts, read 2,762,447 times
Are you talking about Saluda, SC or Saluda, NC?

Those two are going to generate much different search boxes.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:17 AM

Location: south of downtown Greenville, SC --> moving to Greensboro, NC
1,980 posts, read 4,165,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VolstuckinNC View Post
Are you talking about Saluda, SC or Saluda, NC?

I completely forgot about Saluda, NC - yes, this would change the search parameters. Interestingly, Saluda, SC has 5x the population of Saluda, NC.

Old 05-06-2013, 09:23 AM

298 posts, read 629,244 times
West side of Lake Keowee would be my recommendation.

Lake Keowee has a relatively stable water level vs Lake Hartwell. It is ~27 miles top-bottom, ~18,500 acres of water and perfect for pontoons. It is rural with decent access to Seneca for your run of the mill big box shopping needs. The farther north you go on the shore, the greater the wow factor for mountain vistas. Excellent access to the very large state park system at the north end of the lake.

State Rd 28 runs along the west side. It is a perfect road for bikers and sports cars heading north (in fact the road is known as Moonshiner 28) into the Tennessee mountains. Deals Gap, Blue Ridge parkway, SC 178, SC 130 (and their companion roads in NC) are terrific day trips for bikers. Be advised .... mountain driving rules apply down here .... if you're poking along on a cruiser and see a sport bike or sports car coming up behind you .... pull over to let them by at the first available pull off. Its how we do things in the mountains.

Last edited by Shadetree930; 05-06-2013 at 09:42 AM..

Old 05-06-2013, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by volstuckinnc View Post
are you talking about saluda, sc or saluda, nc?

sc

Also, I am not looking to live on a lake. I want more house for $ and lake front always comes at a cost.

Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 AM

headed down to Westminster SC next week to look around.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 AM

60 posts, read 88,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D&W_MD View Post
sc

Also, I am not looking to live on a lake. I want more house for $ and lake front always comes at a cost.
but to be a "pontoon boater" you rightly need some water.

SC has a lot of lakes but some places feature an extremely long drive to one. He was trying to tell you some of the more popular ones.

Old 05-07-2013, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlesPWagner View Post
but to be a "pontoon boater" you rightly need some water.

SC has a lot of lakes but some places feature an extremely long drive to one. He was trying to tell you some of the more popular ones.

Yep, understood and thankful

That's why we're starting off in Westminster to look around Oconee and Pickens Counties. Looks like in those counties you are real close to LOTS of water!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area