Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area
 [Register]
Greenville - Spartanburg area Greenville - Spartanburg - Simpsonville - Greer - Easley - Taylors - Mauldin - Duncan
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 10:10 AM

30 posts, read 41,371 times

Advertisements

Hi, my son is interviewing with MAU to be a forklift operator with the goal of becoming a permanent employee with BMW after a year. I just read on this board that BMW does not hire forklift operators for permanent employment.

I was wondering if he started BMW as a forklift driver could he transfer to a production associate position later or should he apply for the production associate position now? MAU just held a job fair specifically for forklift drivers so I'm not sure if they're hiring for associate positions right now.

He just got out of the Air Force as a heavy equipment operator so he really wants to find a career with a good company.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2013, 04:47 PM

34 posts, read 174,983 times
Have them apply for the production, unless things have change recently forklift is temp only.

Old 05-02-2013, 05:56 PM

11 posts, read 37,146 times
I havent seen it done while I been there. Not to say they wont because stranger things have happened there.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:05 AM

9,501 posts, read 9,818,992 times
Not to burst your son's bubble cerenatee, but he shouldn't get his hopes up too high about become a permanent employee anytime soon. Most BMW associates are hired in as BMW associates. It's rarer to transfer over from MAU to BMW unless you have a special skill or are a standout. MAU makes money off of it's employees, so they won't be helping them swap over.

Typically to become a BMW associate after you are in the plant, you have to apply for an opening. Occasionally a team leader position will open, where an MAU person can apply for. Plus other positions open that have different skills within the plant. But the priority goes to BMW associates first, then CWF (contingent work force) such as MAU, then open to the outside. (Also, as of late, job postings have been rare.)

It's more efficent for BMW's bottom line to hire CWF instead of BMW. The ratio of CWF over BMW grows every year.

Old 05-03-2013, 06:21 PM

60 posts, read 95,286 times
I'll say this though. Being on the inside of a company is an advantage over being outside and trying to get in. You can make contacts, prove yourself, and possibly have more access to the jobs posted by being inside the company. While I have never worked for BMW, I have converted from temp to direct twice in my career while my friends who shunned temp jobs stay unemployed longer and are working for less successful companies. To get a good job, sometimes you have to go through some hardship and/or be "evaluated".

That said, every place is different and sounds like some other posters have more insight and experience with the BMW manufacturing practices.

Old 05-17-2013, 05:07 PM

231 posts, read 576,785 times
Forklift drivers cannot become full time direct BMW employees, only production associates have that ability but there's no clear process in place for how that happens so no guarantees. If his goal is to be employed with BMW, then he should apply for the production position and not forklift.

Old 05-20-2013, 11:51 AM

271 posts, read 797,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Not to burst your son's bubble cerenatee, but he shouldn't get his hopes up too high about become a permanent employee anytime soon. Most BMW associates are hired in as BMW associates. It's rarer to transfer over from MAU to BMW unless you have a special skill or are a standout. MAU makes money off of it's employees, so they won't be helping them swap over.

Typically to become a BMW associate after you are in the plant, you have to apply for an opening. Occasionally a team leader position will open, where an MAU person can apply for. Plus other positions open that have different skills within the plant. But the priority goes to BMW associates first, then CWF (contingent work force) such as MAU, then open to the outside. (Also, as of late, job postings have been rare.)

It's more efficent for BMW's bottom line to hire CWF instead of BMW. The ratio of CWF over BMW grows every year.
This is completely and totally wrong when if we are talking PRODUCTION, which from the sounds of the OP, that is exactly where his son is coming in at. The ONLY way to get to BMW status is via coming in from MAU. BMW DOES NOT HIRE DIRECT FOR PRODUCTION LINE JOBS, I'm talking bottom of the line here. Obviously, for Management in Production, that's a different ball game, and can be hired direct.

And once you are in via MAU, you only have to be on the job for six months before you are eligible to become BMW. And honestly, if you are good worker, come to work, do your job, one shouldn't really be MAU for more than a year, or TWO Max, depending on BMW's hiring wave, before getting BMW. My DH works Production for three years now, and this is exactly what happens. Every six months or so, MAU's are getting to BMW status. Your son should DEFINATELY get his hopes up to become permament if he comes in on the PRODUCTION line.....the fork lift area, eh, not so much.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
This is completely and totally wrong when if we are talking PRODUCTION, which from the sounds of the OP, that is exactly where his son is coming in at. The ONLY way to get to BMW status is via coming in from MAU. BMW DOES NOT HIRE DIRECT FOR PRODUCTION LINE JOBS, I'm talking bottom of the line here. Obviously, for Management in Production, that's a different ball game, and can be hired direct.

And once you are in via MAU, you only have to be on the job for six months before you are eligible to become BMW. And honestly, if you are good worker, come to work, do your job, one shouldn't really be MAU for more than a year, or TWO Max, depending on BMW's hiring wave, before getting BMW. My DH works Production for three years now, and this is exactly what happens. Every six months or so, MAU's are getting to BMW status. Your son should DEFINATELY get his hopes up to become permament if he comes in on the PRODUCTION line.....the fork lift area, eh, not so much.
Well I just spoke to a section leader, a senior BMW associate, who is in charge of MAU employees and he just laughed after I told him what you said. So you can read into that as you like.

BMW prefers to have a "flexible work-force". Their goal here at Plant 10 is to hire more CWF than BMW at this time. It may change, and it may have been different when your husband started. I'm just telling you what is happening now. BMW is a big place, so results may vary depending what department you are in. But to say that my post was "completely and totally wrong" from someone not in the loop is illogical.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:12 PM

271 posts, read 797,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
Well I just spoke to a section leader, a senior BMW associate, who is in charge of MAU employees and he just laughed after I told him what you said. So you can read into that as you like.

BMW prefers to have a "flexible work-force". Their goal here at Plant 10 is to hire more CWF than BMW at this time. It may change, and it may have been different when your husband started. I'm just telling you what is happening now. BMW is a big place, so results may vary depending what department you are in. But to say that my post was "completely and totally wrong" from someone not in the loop is illogical.
Are you saying I am not in the loop? My husband works in production. He came in via MAU. He went through the process himself. He works right next to MAU people every.single.day. He goes out to breakfast every six months with everyone else to celebrate those MAU's who get BMW status in his area. As a matter of fact, we are going to a wedding on Friday of a BMW guy who got hired via MAU, last month!

Unless I worked at BMW myself, I really couldn't get any MORE IN THE LOOP as far as Production goes. I live BMW everyday via my husband. You call your "friend" how often and then are you talking BMW every time? I hear about BMW EVERY DAY. So read into that as you like. You stated that OP's son should not get his hopes up of getting BMW status if he came into as MAU. That is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG. As a matter of fact, two years ago, BMW changed it , from requiring one year of MAU status before becoming eligible, to now only needing six months of MAU work to become eligible. SO THEY MADE IT EASIER!!!! Read into that as you like. Illogical...phfft.

Old 05-21-2013, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samiis View Post
Are you saying I am not in the loop? My husband works in production. He came in via MAU. He went through the process himself. He works right next to MAU people every.single.day. He goes out to breakfast every six months with everyone else to celebrate those MAU's who get BMW status in his area. As a matter of fact, we are going to a wedding on Friday of a BMW guy who got hired via MAU, last month!

Unless I worked at BMW myself, I really couldn't get any MORE IN THE LOOP as far as Production goes. I live BMW everyday via my husband. You call your "friend" how often and then are you talking BMW every time? I hear about BMW EVERY DAY. So read into that as you like. You stated that OP's son should not get his hopes up of getting BMW status if he came into as MAU. That is COMPLETELY AND TOTALLY WRONG. As a matter of fact, two years ago, BMW changed it , from requiring one year of MAU status before becoming eligible, to now only needing six months of MAU work to become eligible. SO THEY MADE IT EASIER!!!! Read into that as you like. Illogical...phfft.
Well I suppose the Vice Presidents at BMW should be speaking to you instead. I just spoke with a high level manager and again that manager says that for the current time period and next 5-10 years, BMW associate hiring will be at a minimum. I go to regular manager meetings about finance and budget and I can tell you that your information is DEAD wrong. Please do not try to give out false hope. So either I and dozens of other managers are being lied to or you are not fully aware of the situation. PM me your husbands name and I'll take him out to lunch.

Just having a MAU job is great in itself, it is a job and they make a fair wage working in good conditions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Greenville - Spartanburg area